• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What is the oldest game you still want to beat?

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
I’m curious, what is the oldest game you still want to beat? It doesn’t have to be right away, it could be days, months, years, decades from now, but it’s one you want to play through and roll credits in. It does not have to be on the original hardware and you are free to take advantage of whatever modern perks are available (ie save states and rewind features in NSO, just don’t completely abuse them). For the spirit of this thread, substantial remakes are out (unless that remake is your oldest game I guess). The Ocarina of Time 3DS Remake would be fine as the changes are mostly graphical, the Resident Evil 2 Remake as a way to say you’ve beaten Resident Evil 2 would not.

For me, it’s currently Zelda II which according to Wikipedia hit the US on December 1 1988. I’ve played all of the mainline Mario’s, Metroids (unless you count Federation Force), the Kirby’s etc. but I have a gap in my Nintendo history with Zelda II. I’ve tried a few times in various versions, but never stuck with it more than an hour. Zelda II is the black sheep of the Zelda series, it doesn’t play like any other game, but I still want to see it through myself. No promises, but I might actually tackle Zelda II relatively soon. I beat the original Metroid for the first time this year in preparation for Dread with NSO and now Zelda II is basically the last NES game I want to beat. I have momentum, but if not, no sweat. One day I will.

I've had Akalabeth: World of Doom on my list for many years as it's very important to that whole "role-playing game" thing. The Apple ][ version of that came out in 1979, although I might end up playing the DOS port instead.

I opened the thread to say Zelda II as well. It's the only Zelda game I've never beat (well, OK, I haven't beat Triforce Heroes either). Once as a kid I grinded all my stats up to the max just hitting those bouncing orbs in an early dungeon, and I made it pretty far, but the late game stuff outpaced me.

Maybe on NSO with save states. That still counts... right?

I opened the thread to say Zelda II as well. It's the only Zelda game I've never beat (well, OK, I haven't beat Triforce Heroes either). Once as a kid I grinded all my stats up to the max just hitting those bouncing orbs in an early dungeon, and I made it pretty far, but the late game stuff outpaced me.

Maybe on NSO with save states. That still counts... right?
I’m certainly going to count it if I play it there :)

I’d still like to beat all the old Kings and Space Quest games Sierra put out, possibly the old Might & Magic and Wizardry games too. But for consoles I think it’s gotta be the original Dragon Quest.

I’d still like to beat all the old Kings and Space Quest games Sierra put out, possibly the old Might & Magic and Wizardry games too. But for consoles I think it’s gotta be the original Dragon Quest.
My heart isn’t set yet on playing all of the old Dragon Quest games, but I definitely want to play Dragon Quest V at some point and I’m looking forward to the HD 2D version of Dragon Quest III. It looks so cool!

My heart isn’t set yet on playing all of the old Dragon Quest games, but I definitely want to play Dragon Quest V at some point and I’m looking forward to the HD 2D version of Dragon Quest III. It looks so cool!
I have unfinished business with the original DQ courtesy of that old NP promotion. Not sure if I’ll go all the way back to the NES version but I never got more than halfway through it as a kid

Old M&M and Wizardry can be console games, too!
The SNES Wizardry remakes in particular have incredible spritework, if you're willing to, uh, patch them.

Still wanna beat the original Zelda from 1986
Other than that... some SNES games. Most other stuff is just horribly outdated and not fun for me or are just multiplayer

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out - I have played many times, even managing to beat Super Macho Man, but I have never beaten the man himself. One day, Iron Mike. One day.

Contra (without the code) - I have gotten close, but the damn Energy Zone and Hangar always get me.

Final Fantasy II(J) - The bastard child of the FF series, and the only one in the mainline single players I haven’t beaten. The mechanics in the game are annoying, but I really would like to complete the series. Probably lowest priority of the three.

Back
Top Bottom