• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What is the best song remix in Smash Ultimate?

Pillydillsy

The greatest banana sherif in town
Pronouns
He/ him
I‘ve been listening to a ton of the amazing remixes in Ultimate and have been wondering what everyone’s favorite is. This topic didn’t come up too much across the internet so I decided to kick off discussion right here on Fami! For me the answer will always be Gangplank Galleon, but MEGALOVANIA comes close

The one that you like the most,

But for real, I like the Castlevania remix Can’t Wait Until Night.

There's a lot of great ones, so it's hard to pick, but Ultimate added an absolute treasure trove of Mega Man remixes. Snake Man's theme has always been one of my favorites and the Smash remix is fantastic:

I've always loved how the Fire Man remix sounds like an insane rave:

And of course, Jun Senoue of Sonic fame doing a Mega Man remix is a match made in heaven:

And of course, Jun Senoue of Sonic fame doing a Mega Man remix is a match made in heaven:

This remix has always represented what makes smash remixes so great to me. Some of the best composers in the industry passing their amazing songs on to each other to remix in their own style. I mean a Mega Man remix by the Crush 40 guy? Crazy!

Really hard to pick just one, my top three would probably be these three with the BOTW 2017 Trailer remix and Edge of Dawn remix not far behind.

This remix has always represented what makes smash remixes so great to me. Some of the best composers in the industry passing their amazing songs on to each other to remix in their own style. I mean a Mega Man remix by the Crush 40 guy? Crazy!
Similarly, I wanna shout out Yoko Shimomura's remix of Treasure Trove Cove:

Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario RPG are some of my all time favorite games and were both very foundational for me, so hearing this remix crossover got me very emotional.

Similarly, I wanna shout out Yoko Shimomura's remix of Treasure Trove Cove:

Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario RPG are some of my all time favorite games and were both very foundational for me, so hearing this remix crossover got me very emotional.

You just know Yoko is gonna go off on the Mario RPG remixes when Geno gets into smash next game

Why are people posting Gang-Plank Galleon when Crocodile Cacophony is right there?

Anyways, I've got a few. The Termina Field remix may just be another remix of a song remixed countless times in Smash, but I fucking adore how they use the 4 main instruments from Majora's Mask. The pipes, ocarina, bongos and guitar just make for a really unique take on the Zelda overworld theme that I just love.

The F-Zero medley is a fantastic reminder that it's Nintendo's series with the most Sega energy. Takenobu Mitsuyoshi of Daytona USA fame (and many more!) just absolutely singing his heart out making up lyrics that I can never unhear from the original songs, while also doing almost-eurobeat inspired instrumentals is just so good.

Bomb Rush Blush got an incredible remix from Tomoya Ohtani who truly understood the appeal of Splatoon music and made the only good Splatoon remix in the entire game. His techno style that he's really let loose with Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers really works here and turned a song I never really thought of in Splatoon 1 into one of my favourites.

MEGALOVANIA getting it's single best official version is no easy feat, considering how many times Toby Fox has used it in other projects with different things going for each. Best Mii costume bonus ever.

Cross Your Heart. That is all that needs to be said.

I wouldn't say "Remix" but the live symphonic recording of Gourmet Race of Melee (it's in Ultimate) tops everything else in the game.

Don't have a definitive answer at the moment, but from Ultimate specifically, Let's Go to Seoul is definitely high up there.

We're Robots and Cross Your Heart are others that I would immediately list as possible contenders, but I haven't compared them or anything.

For Melee it's almost certainly Gourmet Race, for Brawl, maybe Fire Field? Then there's Smash 4, where every other remix is an unnecessary medley, another version of something that already has one or more remixes, or a pointless and sad downgrade of live music from MK8, Galaxy, or Uprising. Nothing jumps out at me. Air Man Stage? Was that from this one, or Ultimate?

I can't believe I forgot to mention We're Robots, I love that remix so much.
Well, I can at least use this an excuse to post more of the remixes that haven't been posted here yet.

Gangplank Galleon, Cross Your Heart and the F-Zero Medley are excellent too.

The psycho soldier remix is another personal favorite not only because it’s a good song but because my cousin hates this song and whenever it come on through the random shuffle it tilts him.

This thread is the yearly reminder for me that the best part about a new Smash is the new music remixes.
I dont care if they are remixes, it's always the best soundtrack every year it releases.

Since my other picks already got posted, the Smash version of Lament of Innocence is definitely up there.

I'd be here all day if I wanted to count the remixes from previous games, but some of my faves from Ultimate that haven't come up yet:

Castlevania and Fire Emblem made out like bandits when it came to music, Cross Your Heart and Under This Banner are among my favourite tracks from Ultimate.

There are too many fantastic Smash Bros. arrangements for me to pick favorites, but I will say that nothing quite evokes the same sense of hype to me as some of the best tracks from Melee:

Fire Emblem and Poké Floats in particular are just so good! There’s just something about the Melee soundtrack—probably its overall cohesiveness—that makes it really stand out.

I’m sure it also helps that these songs have been around since nearly the beginning of the Smash Bros. series, too, of course.

Why are people posting Gang-Plank Galleon when Crocodile Cacophony is right there?
GMhas_xWMAA2tdI.jpg

to be fair, it had some precedent. Jun Senoue has mentioned in an interview that he was mainly interested in doing the remix thanks to the Archie Sonic X Mega Man crossover comic.
senoue_181207_01.jpg

The moment I first saw this, I immediately thought: ‘why don’t I try doing performing a Mega Man track in the style of the Sonic series?’ That’s when I started to work out how it would all go together.

From all the many songs in the Mega Man series, I decided to use music from Mega Man 4. Around the time I first played that title I was a university student still obsessed with the original Sonic the Hedgehog game, so it has a real emotional attachment for me.

All of Megaman's remixes are simply sensational, but I think Metal Man is the one that manages to go harder. It's insane.

The Molgera Battle remix has proved the original for me. I never get tired of listening to it.

This one isn't so much about the remix, but just that song in general being the GOAT every time it's featured in anything

I adore the vibrant instrumentation in Gladion's theme, the bass is fire. Pokémon had a lot of great remixes in Smash, but I think this is my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom