• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

What happened to FFXIV on Nintendo Switch? Well, let's talk about it!

kasparov77

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
Final fantasy 14 is a game that I much enjoyed my time with while playing on pc. It's one of the very few MMOs that managed to grab my attention due to a multitude of factors (world building, the plot, the music and sfx, the art-style and gameplay - well, at least the post-msq and the good parts of a realm reborn).

bw0ebiH.png

As someone who doesn't own a Playstation 4/5 (nor do I have the interest), and also no steam deck or deck-like devices, I felt kinda left out considering I couldn't have a comfy console optimized experience (and a portable one at that) while playing the game. I started thinking about the possibility of ever seeing the game on a Nintendo platform. Given that well, the switch doesn't really have much to offer in terms of MMORPGS (I know the nerd in some of you is itching to say "MORPGS! NOT MMO!!" but you get my point).

So I looked into it and now that the game's coming to XBOX, it seems that whatever exclusivity deal square could've had with sony is no longer a thing. And looking a bit further, I noticed that back in around ~2017-2019 there were rumors and headlines on gaming news websites reporting that square was apparently considering on bringing the game to switch.

ZMDjQEE.png

But well, as we all know, it's already 2024 and there's no signs of that ever happening. So I started wondering: would it even possible for square to accomplish said port on the current switch or is this only something we can only hope for switch 2?

VyEyBnH.png

So, taking a look into the PC version, the minimum requirements mentions 4GB of RAM (and considering how much windows usually takes from this, memory seems to be a non-issue so far considering the switch has about ~3GB of free memory for games). The memory situation only gets a bit less optimistic considering how much memory on the PS4 is available for games. In terms of CPU and GPU requirements, this is where things get complicated. I tried making a shallow comparison between a hacked switch's geekbench scores (a popular multi-platform benchmark tool) and the least powerful PC I have at my disposal (an i3 3210) which conveniently, has a ffxiv showcase video on youtube.

CPU-wise, I think the switch could struggle due to factors like cache and IPC. But honestly, considering how the game was initially on the PS3 (which is mind you, a weaker console) and things like, how the PS4's CPU scores compare in terms of single-core, I still think it could be possible. Graphics-wise, I think it's only a matter of reducing the resolution, lighting and texture quality. Good thing is, the game already supports dynamic resolution.

But in the end, we reach the actual obstacle: storage. The PC version's minimum requirements are about 80GB. Which is simply put way too much, even for the switch oled. Of course, we have seen instances of games on switch that had pc counterparts well above the 50+GB being reduced to about 20GB more or less. But as a constantly-updating game with an ever-increasing scope like FFXIV (which is not really the case for say, fortnite - a game with a set-size map that changes from season to season), it's certainly a hard task for developers.

I personally had the game take about ~65GB of storage back when I still played it. But I didn't play expansions, so through a quick lookup, it seems that the game uses about a bit over 60GB with all expansions and 50GB only if you have the free trial. That's way too much even if nintendo somehow managed to convince square to split the game up into a ~32GB cartridge + a mandatory download for expansions.

But let's assume they managed to fit the base game into well a bit over 25GB (so older switch players can still join). How do we progress from here? the game's planned to get multiple graphical patches over time and while the team has made it clear they'll provide options for low-spec players to fallback to less demanding graphics, I still feel like it's a matter of time until say, ps4 support is dropped (assuming they want to keep the game for around half a decade more or so with demanding updates).

That said, a switch 2 version is a complete different story. I feel like even being very pessimistic about it's specs (8GB of RAM, 64GB storage), a port could be more feasible than maintaining ffxiv on the original ps4.

Last edited:
Isn’t FFXIV gearing up for a big graphical update/overhaul? I think they’ve been wanting to give it a generational bump for a while and Switch didn’t fit into those plans.

Ironically Dragon Quest X is on Switch so there’s no issue there when it comes to storage.

There was no exclusivity deal preventing it on Xbox. Yoshi P already said multiple times how they had been trying to get it there before. The way cross platform play works on Xbox with being able to opt out is what caused an issue before. Now that hurdle is gone and it is not coming to Xbox One, but Xbox Series X because it is a long term service game. Putting it on Switch would be stupid given the various technical and storage hurdles. Switch 2 would be ideal and timed with a future expansion would be perfect.

Switch 1? Not a chance, all their future plans would be limited by needing to make sure it runs on the dated hardware.

Switch 2? Depending on specs maybe, but I think a lot would depend on how much effort it would be to handle the online requirements of Nintendo when they already deal with Sony and MS. Not impossible (Warframe does it) but a question of whether it's worth it to SE.

Isn’t FFXIV gearing up for a big graphical update/overhaul? I think they’ve been wanting to give it a generational bump for a while and Switch didn’t fit into those plans.
Yes, but they also said they'll have a fallback graphical option for people with less powerful hardware.
Ironically Dragon Quest X is on Switch so there’s no issue there when it comes to storage.
I mean, it has a base install size that fits any switch, the problem is that it mandates a additional content download that would go beyond the storage limit without the use of an sd card.

Speaking of, I find it amazing how FFXIV works well even on slower hdds on pc (what I used to install the game). Sure, the loading times are higher, but the game works completely fine on a disk that's almost as slow as a bad SD card (once again contributing to my idea that a switch 1 version has always been possible).

Putting it on Switch would be stupid given the various technical and storage hurdles. Switch 2 would be ideal and timed with a future expansion would be perfect.
I completely agree with this. BUT, I also have to say that if they had went for the switch 1 route first (in case they do actually have plans to bring it to switch 2), they would've a insanely huge playerbase to back themselves upon plus, they'd more prepared to transition to switch 2 hardware the moment it released.

A cloud version like DQX on 3DS would probably be okay here. But I don’t think that’ll happen. I don’t have much hope on a Switch 2 version though.

I think FFXIV is really being underestimated in terms of performance requirements.

There is/was no exclusivity deal with Sony, there is no evidence of there ever being one. Square was always interested in bringing FFXIV to other systems. We need to stop with the constant conspiracy that many games not on other systems is because of an exclusivity deal (I'm often guilty of it myself though).

FFXIV was made with the PS3 in mind before it released. Current FFXIV is not the same at all. It doesn't run on PS3, we can't use that as a benchmark. Yoshi-P said a while ago that the PS4 is going to be supported until Dawntrail at least. I wouldn't be surprised if that is actually the last version to be supported. Heck, I've played hundreds of hours of FFXIV on base PS4 and it does not run flawlessly.

The PS4 version is not getting the upcoming visual update, and that's just the first of the visual update. The game will get visual upgrades spread over multiple patches. The days of PS4 support are numbered. PC players have the option to play without the enhanced visuals though, but don't expect the console versions to support those for long. Same goes for a hypothetical Nintendo version. Even without any visual updates, why would the FFXIV team make downgrades (and maintain them) for a Switch version of FFXIV which is already multiple full priced games in scope and content?

Storage isn't even the biggest obstacle for a Switch version. Even simpler things like internet connection is a far bigger issue. The Switch has given me probably the worst online experience ever for a gaming system (with some exceptions of course). It's absolutely horrible. The only positive thing about a potential FFXIV version for the system is that we won't be shackled by the absolutely dog dung that is Nintendo P2P BS. FFXIV has actual servers. But I can imagine it will be a miserable experience having to do a raid with someone playing with Nintendo's terrible Internet (caused by their WiFi/ethernet).

Now a Switch 2 version is an entire different story. And I'd love to see it there if possible without cutbacks.

i guess other than storage and specs, another possible reason why there is no Switch version is due to they want avoid from end up alienated a large number Switch playerbase once the visual upgrade drop. especially when they also aimed to keep the game going on for atleast another decade. i believe they considered this scenario beforehand.

the reason the devs didnt aimed for highest level of visual fidelity is because to avoid sudden major burden on exisitng large number of playerbase due minimum specs requirement bump. so Switch version existence would hindered the upgrade and transition to next generation. not just due to its technical hardware limitation, most importantly the existing playerbase number would play main major role.

currently Switch sold more than PS4(132m vs 117m). safely to say Switch has atleast over 100m playerbase. theoriticaly there gonna be large number of FFXIV player on the console. both FFXIV and Switch is very popular at japan. even if they launched FFXIV on more powerful Switch 2 later, soon they would end up forced to close Switch 1 support like how they ended PS3 version before and this could be a problem.

obviously the 'existing' large amount of Switch 1 playerbase would not happy for this. it would sounded like they are forced to buy Switch 2 just to keep play the game. even now there is a pc player feels like they are forced to upgrade their hardware despite just little minimum current standards specs increase. the devs also definitely didnt want to lose those large number of player. i doubt the timing this time also would allow for them to leisurely wait for Switch 2 playerbase to grow until reach certain acceptable amount before they can close Switch 1 support. for comparison they fully drop PS3 support and go fully on that time current gen around 4 years after PS4 launch which is on second expansion(by that time the console reach 70m unit sold). Switch 1 reach same number around 3 years. assuming Switch 2 would sell at similliar rate, so basically at 8.0 or 9.0 which is 2-4 years later from now for them to wait the playerbase properly transitioned and finally drop the Switch 1 support.

so to avoid that, it is better that the devs go straight for Switch 2(assuming there is plan for that).

the devs also perhaps want to avoid similliar situation where they forced to keep support PS3 version from very begining and it end up held back the game for almost 10 years, again.

Last edited:
I think FFXIV is really being underestimated in terms of performance requirements.
Heck, I've played hundreds of hours of FFXIV on base PS4 and it does not run flawlessly.
Not saying I doubt you (like I said, I don't even own a PS4), but I had a honestly positive impression of PS4's performance running the game through digital foundry's+my life in gaming collab video where they run through every playstation version of the game and it's performance. I mean, over 30 fps consistently seems good enough (for a turn based mmo that is). But I get your point.

Now a Switch 2 version is an entire different story. And I'd love to see it there if possible without cutbacks.
Judging from the game's current state (and assuming the graphical updates don't hit performance too much), I think based on switch 2's leaked specs so far, the game could run at worse under the "laptop - high" preset at ~900p-1080p in portable mode and at least 1440p when docked with even higher presets.

Not saying I doubt you (like I said, I don't even own a PS4), but I had a honestly positive impression of PS4's performance running the game through digital foundry's+my life in gaming collab video where they run through every playstation version of the game and it's performance. I mean, over 30 fps consistently seems good enough (for a turn based mmo that is). But I get your point.

Judging from the game's current state (and assuming the graphical updates don't hit performance too much), I think based on switch 2's leaked specs so far, the game could run at worse under the "laptop - high" preset at ~900p-1080p in portable mode and at least 1440p when docked with even higher presets.
Of course, my experience is just anecdotal. It doesn't reflect the general experience/performance of the playerbase on PS4 in general. Though others in my FC back then who were also on PS4 had the same experience. I'd get frame drops in duties with lots of players, or when there is a lot going on on screen, which happens often in important content. And if you're doing extreme or savage content, that will make or break your run in some of them.

Also, for a live game like FFXIV, the scope changes every time. A Digital Foundry on Stormblood doesn't represent Shadowbringers, or even post Stormblood patch experience. FFXIV also is not turn based, it's an action RPG. Some content, especially challenge content, needs precise input and coordination with other players. Frame drops, input lag, bad Internet can all ruin the experience for every player who are playing with you.

Even the rumoured specs aren't enough to say for sure if the game is feasible. Like I said, PS4 support could possibly end with Dawntrail. If the next Switch specs are in that ballpark at most, that might still not be enough for the devs to justify making yet another version that might not be able to keep up with the other versions. With the Xbox version they'll have 4 versions they need to support, with a Switch 2 version that's 5. I have no clue about game development, but that sounds insanely difficult to maintain when some of them are so different from each other.

I need to see how taxing the game becomes after the entire visual update is out.

FFXIV also is not turn based, it's an action RPG. Some content, especially challenge content, needs precise input and coordination with other players. Frame drops, input lag, bad Internet can all ruin the experience for every player who are playing with you
What I meant by FFXIV being 'turn based' was that the game's combat works in alternating turns between you vs an assigned target. Instead of like, having a free target system where you can attack freely the air/the ground/any target and keep on pressing the attack like an action game, not having to wait for the next turn. A good example of this is Tera online.

So as a PS4 Pro player ... the game really does not run well. It struggles in Limsa, Old Sharlayan and other busy cities, some duties, and don't even get me started about hunts. Some of this is the devs arbitrarily locking PS4 players from graphics settings like minimizing the # of other players loading in, and some of it is the fact that even though the PS4 Pro has an SSD it's just not that fast. I've missed hunt marks due to slow as shit load-in.

There is no way a Switch successor could run this game well.

Switch 2? Depending on specs maybe, but I think a lot would depend on how much effort it would be to handle the online requirements of Nintendo when they already deal with Sony and MS. Not impossible (Warframe does it) but a question of whether it's worth it to SE.
They've been running a cross-platform Dragon Quest MMO on multiple Nintendo machines for over a decade, so this shouldn't be uncharted territory.

Since its now on Xbox, i think Switch 2 is just a matter of time.
It may need some elbow grease from Nintendo, as YoshP probably would prefer to focus on the core game and SE needs to hire a porting studio to port it and maintain any assets needed.

Again, assuming Switch 2 docked perf is around Series S level, it may just be part of their porting pileine to do the Switch 2 version with an extra portable profile added ontop of Series S

There is no way a Switch successor could run this game well.
Knowing switch 2's SoC specs I have to disagree. Like, heavily.

The problem with ps4/ps4 pro is likely related to CPU bottlenecks. The ps5 from what I've gathered from tests online doesn't struggle with highly populated areas like the ps4 pro or even worse, the ps4 does.

And I say that because even though the ps4 pro's gpu is (theoretically) twice as powerful as the ps4, the CPU is basically the same as the base ps4, albeit a bit overclocked.

And we also know it's not memory since the game isn't particularly that memory-intensive. And both the ps4 and ps4 pro have 8GB, so if the ps4 pro's pulling ahead in fps, it's certainly not because of RAM.

The ps5's cpu on the other hand, is WAY more powerful, being on a way newer architecture and can actually keep up with the GPU.

And now getting into switch 2 territory, the people here who did an extensive analysis of switch 2's SoC came to the conclusion that the cpu performance should be around earlier-gen ryzen cpus. So considering how even the earlier gen ryzens runs circles around ps4's cpu, I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Last edited:
Likely FF14 will be for the next Switch, is FF14 cross-play supported on the other platforms?
yes. always be. currently it is on PS4/PS5 and PC. Xbox version is this february. everyone on same server together.

one of reason why it is so late for Xbox to get their version is at beginning microsoft want their separate server just for the console which is Yoshi-P said no.

What I meant by FFXIV being 'turn based' was that the game's combat works in alternating turns between you vs an assigned target. Instead of like, having a free target system where you can attack freely the air/the ground/any target and keep on pressing the attack like an action game, not having to wait for the next turn. A good example of this is Tera online.
I get what you're saying, but it's not really alternating turns is it? You attack whenever you can, depending on your skills and their cooldown. But yeah, it's not action based either.
it is actually a tab target combat. if it was action combat MMO, it gonna be like BDO.
Yeah, I choose the wrong words to describe it. I've never heard of tab target combat though! Didn't know it had a specific description.

I get what you're saying, but it's not really alternating turns is it? You attack whenever you can, depending on your skills and their cooldown.
Yeah I get what you mean. Because like, you can move freely in real time and cast spells mid-attack.
I think the person who said tab targetting may have used the correct term, idk.

It's funny because like, xenoblade 2/3 uses a similar combat and I've seen people call that game an action rpg 😄

Mods, I do not know if I'm allowed to necro this post. But the only reason I'm doing it is because digital foundry released a video showing the series S version of FFXIV and how the game currently runs on base PS4 and some comparisons in extreme detail @ different resolutions and settings.

If it's a bother, yall can delete/archive the thread but I just wanna bring this to attention because I heard there was interest from squeenix to port FFXIV to a nintendo platform, and since we recently got confirmations on switch 2's power level I think this video is turning out very interesting to the few hopeful people like me:

My thoughts: judging from the specs for switch 2 we know so far, I think they could EASILY port this to run at ~720p-900p in portable mode at modest settings and 1080~1440p in docked mode. My only issue is with the graphics api as the switch only supports opengl and vulkan and idk if FF14 has been ported to vulkan yet...

Mods, I do not know if I'm allowed to necro this post. But the only reason I'm doing it is because digital foundry released a video showing the series S version of FFXIV and how the game currently runs on base PS4 and some comparisons in extreme detail @ different resolutions and settings.

If it's a bother, yall can delete/archive the thread but I just wanna bring this to attention because I heard there was interest from squeenix to port FFXIV to a nintendo platform, and since we recently got confirmations on switch 2's power level I think this video is turning out very interesting to the few hopeful people like me:

My thoughts: judging from the specs for switch 2 we know so far, I think they could EASILY port this to run at ~720p-900p in portable mode at modest settings and 1080~1440p in docked mode. My only issue is with the graphics api as the switch only supports opengl and vulkan and idk if FF14 has been ported to vulkan yet...

based on leak Switch 2 might not gonna has limited ram issue like Series S. so im not suprise if the dynamic resolution that will be present on PS4 and Series S not gonna be available on the console(depend on how the cpu gonna perform). if rumors of 12gb is true and if it use similliar amount of OS like the Switch 1 then for games there gonna be around 10-11gb available.

also from the Dawntrail benchmark the game supported DLSS 2.0 and the console would be heavy reliance on DLSS tech based on leak aside framegen which is gonna align with the game. both PS4 and Series S doesnt has any A.I upscalling to compare so it is a huge advantage for Switch 2.

for the API, well this is not consumer custom PC so developers can implement stuff during porting process to make it happen. Switch already has tons of DX11 game ported too. so this is not gonna be nothing new.

Back
Top Bottom