• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What do you want most from the Zelda movie?

TreeSign

Piranha Plant
For me it is action and some good world building with the Master Sword involved as a key plot point.

Competent storytelling with believable character arcs and generally no fuckery. Nintendo has to get the basics right first. Make a good movie before worrying about making a Zelda movie. Adding texture to the movie to make it more Zelda-y is probably easiest bit as long as the filmmakers don’t get bogged down by fan service.

Otherwise, I’d love an about-face on the live action choice. Not gonna happen, but a girl can dream.

I just want it to be good.

So many video game movies have been just alright on their own and carried by fanservice. Zelda has the world and flexibility to just make a good movie, but I'm very worried that it will be held back by simply being handed to the wrong people.
You don't even have to stay super faithful to anything, Link can even talk frequently, the Himekawa mangas are great examples of that. But it needs to be just a good fantasy movie on it's own, while also being distinctly Zelda.

Anyways, is everyone ready for at least 2 jokes about how stupid Link's hat looks, like most movies that adapt an iconic but somewhat goofy design?

Good voice direction for Zelda. Something the games haven't had in ages.

JQa23PT.jpg

1) I want it not to suck
2) I want it to not build into ANY kind of cinematic universe

For the overall experience to mirror something as impressive as the original LOTR movies that Peter Jackson took on. It would be fantastic to know that there is someone out there than could bring TLoZ to such heights. To take the magic from the video games, and put all that on the big screen and translate the greatness will be no easy task

When something is announced that I have NO faith in I just want it to be hilariously bad. Like, give me The Room quality awfulness.
Unfortunately, I assume it'll just be mediocre. Nintendo is very protective of their properties and have some say over the project so it can't go off the rails completely, but also it being live-action I doubt it'll be good at all.

I suppose the only think I can ask so that I might be able to watch it til the end is can we make it not be quippy? Real tired of what some modern media considers comedy to be.

I’m not convinced it’ll work as live action, as nailing the contrast between a melancholy atmosphere and isolation, with longing for romance and an upbeat supporting cast is really, really hard. I also think it’ll end up packed with fanservice and one-line jokes designed for trailers, whereas they really need to concentrate on making a decent fantasy film and both that atmosphere and the relationship between Link and Zelda first. Something like a mix between Stardust and Lord of the Rings would be great, both adaptations from fantasy books to live action with decent leads embodying the call to adventure, but I don’t think it will be that. I don’t know, I think animation is a much better fit for Zelda due to how much of it is subtly soaked in its own imagery and mythology.

I suspect it’ll end up more like the D&D film, which works as being a fantasy B-movie packed with silly jokes and references encapsulates exactly why a tabletop campaign with friends is great for a lot of people, but that approach wouldn’t feel right for Zelda.

Last edited:
Incredible setpieces.

People will bring up LotR, and oh dear would I faint if I saw a Zora's Domain as pretty as Rivendell.

for it to get stuck in development hell and never actually materialize

Honestly I wanted it to not exist.

Especially not as a western produced live action film.

But oh well. At this point let's just hope for the best outcome.
Super Mario Bros as an actual film was mediocre at best, if not sometimes embarassing in how its screenplay was written, but as a product it did a pretty good job I would say. So let's hope they achieve that with Zelda.

Plot wise, I would like some very light OoT adaptation. (please don't be too bloated and not too video gamey : "I need to collect all the medals in all the dungeons to go to Ganon." "Oh I got a new item, so convenient, it lets me go further into this dungeon". Basically, please don't do a Zelda version of the training sequence of SMB)
Time travel, with Kid Link (act 1) and Adult Link (act 2 and 3), not too bloated (no need to force all the locations and races into it. I'm sure they could make a decent script with just the Woods, Hyrule Plains/Hyrule Castle, and Death Mountain. It's not going to be a 3 hours long epic fantasy film, but more likely a 100 minutes film, stay focused and don't bring shit just for fan service at the risk of making the film a pacing mess)

Back
Top Bottom