• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What do you think the first year of Switch 2 will look like

What is the launch title of the Switch 2

• New 3D Mario

Votes: 213 73.4%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 57 19.7%
  • Princess Peach, obvi

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • New IP

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Zelda Remake

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Something Else, Explain Below

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 887

A perpetual discussion in the hardware thread is what the launch title will be, what the cross-gen period will look like, etcetera. But with rumors having gone from "does this thing exist" to "it clearly exists, what can it do" it seems like the hardware thread Can't Repel Speculation Of That Magnitude!!!

So, in order to provide some relief to that thread, and invite others to go round and round about Whether Or Not Metroid Prime Could Ever Be A Launch Title, I provide you with this space.

What do you think the launch year of the Switch 2 (or Switch NG, or REDACTED, or Drake, or Mu, if that's your bag) will look like? Explain your reasoning, but the poll will be for the launch title.

I'm coming down pretty hard on 3D Mario as the launch title, and the only reason I can see not to is because Wonder is coming out soon, with a lot of other non-platform Mario games, so maybe Nintendo needs to let off the gas a little?

I'm coming down pretty hard on 3D Mario as the launch title, and the only reason I can see not to is because Wonder is coming out soon, with a lot of other non-platform Mario games, so maybe Nintendo needs to let off the gas a little?
2d and 3d Mario are different enough to Basically be treated like seperate franchises, with their own release cycles.

Anyway I’m also predicting Mario kart to be the next major title after 3d Mario, maybe with a new ip in between.

Welp:
• New 3D Mario - Definitely launch year
• Prime 4 - launch year
• Princess Peach might see a next gen patch update because it features Peach and she’s part of the main Mario characters cast
• I’m not very good at guessing new Nintendo IPs, so I won’t comment on this one
• If by “Zelda remake” you mean a 2D game, like the Oracle ones, then yes, I can see a 2D remake utilizing Awakening’s engine
• Something else: next gen patched Switch 1 games with packaged DLC

Welp:
• New 3D Mario - Definitely launch year
• Prime 4 - launch year
• Princess Peach might see a next gen patch update because it features Peach and she’s part of the main Mario characters cast
• I’m not very good at guessing new Nintendo IPs, so I won’t comment on this one
• If by “Zelda remake” you mean a 2D game, like the Oracle ones, then yes, I can see a 2D remake utilizing Awakening’s engine
• Something else: next gen patched Switch 1 games with packaged DLC
These were just my first guesses at what most people would call a launch title, though I should have slapped Mario Kart in there.

I have no idea.

3D Mario is definitely due, but on the other hand Mario and Mario-adjacent games are launching in crazy amounts now and for the next ~9 months. Are they gonna try to add another big one to that pile?

New Zelda is obviously out of the question but a remake is intriguing. Imagine an Ocarina of Time 4k remake as the launch title, that would turn some heads for sure.

The only other thing I can think of really is just a smattering of smaller titles, including Prime 4.

If Switch 2 launches in May/June, I would launch with MP4, Tomodachi Life 2, NintenPets first 3 Months, Then DK in September, Then 3D Mario in November. The reveal Presentation would show all of these games and others, plus tease Mario Kart X for 2025.

as you know I was pretty strong on 3D Mario as a launch title for a long time, but now I'm a bit cooler on it for this reason.

it depends on launch timing, of course. if it really comes by June 30, 2024, then Mario has no shot. if it's holiday of 2024, or even later? I think it shoots up to a near inevitability

Metroid Prime 4 launch title and 3D Mario launch year are my only predictions.

My prediction/hope is : 3D Mario as the big launch game, smaller new IP from EPD released alongside it, Metroid Prime 4 release within the next few months after the hardware release, new Monolith Soft IP and next Mario Kart released within the next twelve/fifteen months.

I have no idea.
Same! What's been awesome about Switch is the cadence of big/medium/small titles not really letting up, but it screws the usual launch calculus up.

3D Mario is definitely due, but on the other hand Mario and Mario-adjacent games are launching in crazy amounts now and for the next ~9 months. Are they gonna try to add another big one to that pile?
I think 3D mario comes in the first year, but with Wonder having just come out it does make me hesitate on it being the first title out the gate.

3D Mario
Pokemon Remakes and Legends
Zelda Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD (Or a new 2D Zelda grezzo joint)
Metroid Prime 4
Mario Kart 9

Maybe not all exclusive to the next system, but regardless having all those hit in the same year as the new system.....that's an Avengers level threat

as you know I was pretty strong on 3D Mario as a launch title for a long time, but now I'm a bit cooler on it for this reason.

it depends on launch timing, of course. if it really comes by June 30, 2024, then Mario has no shot. if it's holiday of 2024, or even later? I think it shoots up to a near inevitability
This is basically where my head is at. I tend to come down on the side of Prime not being a launch title, but if it launches early, maybe Prime really is the big cross-gen title that waits out the "real" launch of Mario in the holiday season

everything_was_ports.jpg

I feel pretty confident that 3D Mario is going to be the big first-party launch title and the equivalent of BotW for the Switch if the Switch 2 launches in October/November. If it launches earlier I could see a different game taking its place so Mario can have the holidays.

Launch window (6-9 months)

Exclusive NG

• Mario 3D (at launch)
  • Party game by ND Cube (at launch)
  • Xenoblade X 4K
  • Warriors (hyrule?)
  • Smash Ultimate 4K/deluxe (big holiday title)

Cross Gen:
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Peach
  • F-Zero remaster
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokémon legends celebi
  • Zelda WW/TP remaster

Last edited:
I think if they want a strong launch, 3D Mario and a more casual game will be there on day one. In an ideal world, that more casual game will be Ringfit Adventure 2, and the launch will be accompanied by third-party apps (media consumption, primarily) that position Switch 2 as a not-just-games device. The early months of the Switch did set the tone for that device and, imo, it was a bit too core-focused.

I am persuaded by arguments that Switch 2 can do well with a "soft" launch, IE, with some core-focused games, while more mainstream titles launch later on when stock is more readily available. This would make sense for a launch in, say, May, with the more in-demand titles being released for the holidays.
In this case I think Metroid Prime 4 would be a good shout, yes. I think people are underestimating this title. Either that, or Nintendo are over-estimating it. I don't think the expectation is that this will top-out at 3 milli.
In this scenario, there needs to be a greater degree of third-party support. I can imagine, say, Elden Ring, very early on, hopefully providing the best way of playing that game portably. Cyberpunk could be another head-turner.

Mario 3D
Metroid Prime 4
Zelda WW/TP HD

Along with some 3rd party offerings:

Elden Ring
Street Fighter 6
MK 1
FFVIIR
DQXII
RDR2
CoD

I can see them using the Switch’s launch year as a blueprint and release 3D Mario a year after Wonder: October 2024. That way they have a new Mario game close to the Holidays, and if they release another next gen game during November, gamers can choose between several options

It’s not just a matter of having a big IP during launch, but also a thing of having diverse set lr software to choose from

Assuming a soft H1 launch, I think they hold the hypothetical 3D Mario until a little later in the year and rely on an assortment of good cross-gen games, quality ports, and maybe one excellent-but-modest first-party exclusive (Astro's Playroom-style) to cover the four quadrants at launch. That should be enough to sell every unit they ship for the first few months while they build up a holiday stockpile. Closer to Q3, they start dropping big boy titles at a cadence leading up to the holidays, at which point they'll have a decent early-adopter base + a tempting software lineup.

First party:
Mario 3D (Launch)
Small new IP like Arms (could be Arms sequel too) (launch)
Mario Kart 9
New Yoshi from Goodfeel
Mario Party 12
Kirby & the Forgotten land 2
Something from Camelot

Xeno 4 could be the first first party title of its second year.

Third party:
Assassin's Creed Red and Mirage both
Star Wars Outlaws
Metaphor
Suicide Squad
Vampire the Masquerade
Division 3
Jedi 3
James Bond (IOI)
Tomb Raider
Sonic Frontier 2
Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves
GTA6 (could be a second year game)
Max Payne remake
Control 2

And FF16 whenever the exclusivity period ends.

I also don't expect any old as shit ports. This platform is gonna be very up to date.

Some other second year games: DQ12, new Tales of game, MH6, Civilization 7, Bioshock/2K Marin project, Mafia/ 2K Czech project

Last edited:
I think people overestimate how much Switch 2 needs for its launch lineup. The PS5 still doesn't have much in the way of true exclusives and it's ahead of the PS4 launch-aligned; let's not forget that its launch titles were... a (great!) tech demo, Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered + an expand-alone, and Demon's Souls remake. While it's true Switch 2 will be launching in a very different environment, I still think the principle remains: if BC, then its launch library will by default include the entirety of the Switch 1's output. When the talking point of the last half of the Switch's life among the hardcore crowd is how the low power hurts its own games, a device that is functionally a Switch Pro for the first 6-12 months of its life is still going to turn heads.

I think that whatever the next gen device ends up being (Switch 2 or otherwise) that it will launch in September of next year rather than November. That would allow them to get the console out there and then spend time stockpiling for the holidays. With this in mind, here is how I think 2024 will go:

Sept: Metroid Prime 4 (Retro Studios)
Sept: Wave Race (Velan Studios)

Nov: Next Gen 3D Mario (EPD Tokyo/1-Up)

Dec: New IP (EPD 4)

This has Metroid be the big showcase launch title, with Wave Race also showing off the tech leap from switch while being more multiplayer focused, which is what Velan has focused on up to this point. Mario would be the big holiday game, but it would only be a few weeks after launch and wouldn’t leave the smaller sellers to have to carry things for very long. I think the new IP will be something in the same vein as Ring Fit Adventure and Switch Sports, a new twist on something fairly familiar as I don’t expect there to be some completely new controller functionality

If the switch 2 launches near the end of 2024 then 3D Mario is a launch title, but 3D Mario is definitely coming in it's first year regardless. A double pack of windwaker HD and twilight princess 4K edition, two random new ips and various third party ports round out the first year. Oh and Metroid prime launches a month after launch as a crossgen game.

Then we get a big end of year direct featuring, a monolith soft RPG, Mario kart and a smash bros tease.

3D mario will be the big holiday game.

Metroid Prime will be in the first year, no idea if it will be the big launch game.

I expect a) a new ip in the launch window (~3 months), and 2-3 really really big third party games, like FF7 remake, Elden Ring or something like that.

At launch:

Luigi's Mansion 4
Weird title that half-heartedly shows off the new gimmick of Joy-Con 2 (more 1-2Switch than Wii Sports)
3rd party ports (Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Jedi: Fallen Order, EA Sports FC: The Previous Year Game)

Launch year

Mario Kart 10
3D Super Mario Game
Pokémon: Johto and/or Unova remake
Metroid Prime 4

Cross-gen games from Nintendo:

Prime 4
Mario Party Next
Pokemon Legends Unova
Twilight Princess HD
Fire Emblem 4 Remake
EPD Tokyo 2D platformer

Exclusive games from Nintendo:

New casual IP
Mario Kart Next
3D Mario Next

Third-party multiplatform games:

Cyberpunk 2077
The various sports games
Assassin's Creed Red
Call of Duty Warzone 2
Genshin Impact
Street Fighter VI
Something Resident Evil related (Maybe a 7+8 bundle?)
Mass Effect Trilogy
Kingdom Hearts Collection
FF7R1+I+2
DQ3 Remake
Metaphor: ReDumbBullshit
Hades 2
Hollow Knight Silksong
Various other indies

And maybe 1-4 third-party exclusives or timed exclusives.

As someone who 1) plays Switch docked 99% of the time, and 2) plays multiplats on PC, I'm wondering how big of a deal it will be just to launch a portable device that can play the entirety of the 8th generation without compromise. I think getting third parties to port their 8th gen games for the launch window could be a huge focus for Nintendo.

MP4 = launch title is the hill i'd die on.

But a single games makes the launch not. It's all about the entire launch lineup. As long as the launch lineup covers most (all?) fanbases with various offerings (Pokemon, 3rd party current gen ports like potentially R2D2, etc), I don't think Nintendo would be too worried if MP4 is the standout (in event 3D Mario isn't ready by launch time).

I think Day 1 has to be Kart + Prime 4. Wonder is too soon and they can sell the shit out of it in bundles. Mario Kart is just such a system seller and it's multiplayer. The combo is perfect IMO. 3D Mario within first 12 months though.
Metaphor: ReDumbBullshit
Respect me?

I think Day 1 has to be Kart + Prime 4. Wonder is too soon and they can sell the shit out of it in bundles. Mario Kart is just such a system seller and it's multiplayer. The combo is perfect IMO. 3D Mario within first 12 months though.

Respect me?

I refuse to remember this fucking name. It's the new game from the Persona devs that looks fucking terrible but a lot of people are excited for.

Windwaker or Twilight Princess with Ray Tracing.

Easy to do and a good way for developers to grow accustomed with the technology .

Mario 3d is pretty plausible, but I’m not sure day1.

I think Nintendo will try for the 1-2 punch with Switch's first year, but it may be 1-2-3-4-5 punches

I voted Mario but don't feel it needs to be launch month, if it's a H2 release, Mario would be the big Xmas title with Mario Kart and Metroid would be the launch title plus a couple of others and 3rd parties.

Within the first 10 months , i would expect more heavy hitters to land, including possibly a Zelda remake/remaster and other 4K upgrades for existing games.

Here's my worst case scenario prediction: I think we'll see a new Steel Diver or Snipperclips style game that disappears from memory after a few months; with the idea being that there'll be exciting third party support lined up and Nintendo don't need to plan out a Switch 2017 style year plan.

Instead of rising to the challenge, third parties will make weird launch ports. Something like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Resident Evil 2, or Final Fantasy XV. These will be technically impressive, but underwhelming to a lot of people for being bare bones ports of old games. The system will break records day one, but have a disappointing second and third month.

Then we'll get a panic direct where Nintendo announce The Next Legend of Zelda Project, Mario Kart is Now in Development, and Mr Ishihara Promises There'll Be Pokémon Eventually.

I can see Nintendo going for a more PlayStation-esque launch, as they will actually have third-party support to fall back on and, unlike the Wii U, I expect them to stick around.

As for the titles themselves, I've been back and forth on a few first-party games. Nintendo always launches with at least 2 games and here's what I expect:

3D Mario/Mario Kart and a smaller tier game. If it's 3D Mario, I expect it to launch with a multiplayer game, single player game if it's Kart.

If we're seeing the aforementioned PlayStation approach, we could see Metroid Prime 4 launch with something like Nintendogs or (and I know this is a long shot, but bear with me) F-Zero.

I'm not convinced that Nintendo needs to go big out of the gate, this time around, especially if the successor is gonna be backwards compatible.

I refuse to remember this fucking name. It's the new game from the Persona devs that looks fucking terrible but a lot of people are excited for.
It's been my avatar for like 2 months and the game looks AMAZING

I'm not convinced that Nintendo needs to go big out of the gate, this time around, especially if the successor is gonna be backwards compatible.
I think they are gonna want to make a statement with at least one game saying "this is our new system, this is what our developers can do". I just can't see them going from the ports and remakes we have now to just MP4 which will be cross gen. I reeeally think they will have a big game to go alongside MP4 and I agree that it will be MK or 3D Mario.

Metroid Prime 4 seems like a perfect fit for a launch title on Switch 2 for a couple of reasons:

1) Assuming it's still going to have a Switch 1 version, Retro is likely going to retain the same "two rooms at a time" trick that they used for all the Prime games And Metroid Prime Remaster to make them look so good, which means that the Switch 2 version will have potentially lots of processing power left over to do some of the stuff that the Switch 2 SoC can theoretically do but often wont have the room for, particularly Ray Tracing.

2) Nintendo will want to see what sales of Metroid can look like when the game is a hardware launch title and the earliest that Metroid 6 by Mercurysteam will come out is 2025 which leaves Prime 4 as the most likely way for them to find out.

3D Mario as the marquee launch title, maybe with MP4 backing it up.

Launch window (6-9 months)

Exclusive NG

• Mario 3D (at launch)
  • Party game by ND Cube (at launch)
  • Xenoblade X 4K
  • Warriors (hyrule?)
  • Smash Ultimate 4K/deluxe (big holiday title)

Cross Gen:
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Peach
  • F-Zero remaster
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokémon legends celebi
  • Zelda WW/TP remaster
A deluxe version of Smash Ultimate won’t be easy from a legal standpoint, especially since including even one third-party DLC character (namely from the newer companies) would mean a new revenue split for EVERYONE. Legally speaking, it’s not much different from doing a new Smash game.

Also, the game already sold 31 million units & will likely be backwards compatible on Switch 2. OG MK8 had neither of these.

I think it'll look incredibly similar to the Switch's first year. One big heavy hitter (I'm thinking 3D Mario), and some smaller games sprinkled throughout. That being said, cross-gen does add another wrinkle to a potential lineup.

Metroid Prime 4 seems like a perfect fit for a launch title on Switch 2 for a couple of reasons:

1) Assuming it's still going to have a Switch 1 version, Retro is likely going to retain the same "two rooms at a time" trick that they used for all the Prime games And Metroid Prime Remaster to make them look so good, which means that the Switch 2 version will have potentially lots of processing power left over to do some of the stuff that the Switch 2 SoC can theoretically do but often wont have the room for, particularly Ray Tracing.

2) Nintendo will want to see what sales of Metroid can look like when the game is a hardware launch title and the earliest that Metroid 6 by Mercurysteam will come out is 2025 which leaves Prime 4 as the most likely way for them to find out.
They aren’t gonna risk the launch of a brand new Nintendo system to see how big Metroid can get, especially when its current peak is just over 3 million units.

Like I said in the other thread, Metroid is a niche franchise. And honestly, that’s ok.

I think it'll look incredibly similar to the Switch's first year. One big heavy hitter (I'm thinking 3D Mario), and some smaller games sprinkled throughout. That being said, cross-gen does add another wrinkle to a potential lineup.

The Switch's first year had four major titles (two of which were exclusive and two were only otherwise on the WiiU) and three other exclusives.

They aren’t gonna risk the launch of a brand new Nintendo system to see how big Metroid can get, especially when its current peak is just over 3 million units.

Like I said in the other thread, Metroid is a niche franchise. And honestly, that’s ok.

The PS5 launched with zero full priced exclusives other than a remake of Demon's Souls, lol.

Back
Top Bottom