• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club What do you think is the best-looking Nintendo game?

NES - SMB 3
SNES - Super Mario RPG
N64 - Majora's Mask
Gamecube - Wind Waker and Metroid Prime 2
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 2
Wii U - Super Mario 3D World and WWHD
Switch - Luigi's Mansion 3

I'm not a fan of how WWHD looks. I prefer the original, which looked much more bold and saturated. HD kinda has this washed out look, with way too much bloom lighting.

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Kirby's Dreamland 3 or Yoshi's Island. At their best, Wind Waker and Pikmin 3. Haven't got around to Luigi's Mansion 3 or Origami King but they look like sensible answers.

It's been 8 years and 10 months and my answer still hasn't changed.

u7hRnHh.jpg

dm472KR.jpg

wsPBxgr.jpg

It's Wind Waker HD.
Counterpoint: the new gradient they added looks like doodoo when viewed from head on, such as when obtaining an item

Wind-Waker-HD-Triforce-Shard-1024x575.png

But on the whole it is a great looking game. Just not 100% supplanting the original

Good shout on Mario Kart 8, I have no idea how Nintendo pulled that game off when they did.

Origami King is WAY up there for me in hindsight, artistically it's a total stunner, and it runs wonderfully, but some of the photoreal inclusions like the water are amazing too.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the photorealistic water is only in pre-rendered cutscenes. The game still pulls off some really nice graphics regardless.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the photorealistic water is only in pre-rendered cutscenes. The game still pulls off some really nice graphics regardless.
I don’t even care. The game is a visual treat. And a musical treat. And a treat to play.

Goddamn do I love TOK

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Kirby's Dreamland 3 or Yoshi's Island. At their best, Wind Waker and Pikmin 3. Haven't got around to Luigi's Mansion 3 or Origami King but they look like sensible answers.
Love the Kirby shout out here. That game is like a coloring book brought to life. I'd say Canvas, Rainbow and Yarn are gorgeous too.

I give my vote to kirby rainbow curse on the wiiu, pretty tragic that the best looking wiiu game is the one you need to play on the gamepad
Also origami king is gorgeous and just as good looking.
Of course yoshi's island is also up there and probably the most timeless looking game ever made.
Another beautiful retro game that nobody talks about is Dkc3, it still looks amazing

Last edited:
It's Yoshi's Island
Yoshi%2527s_Island.gif

Incredible that even after all these years, it hasn't been dethroned!

(no, I'm not biased, you are biased!)

My vote goes to Super Mario World.

The color palette, the art direction, the level design...
They all synergied to provoke delight (also visual) in every moment. A magic game.

It's Yoshi's Island
Yoshi%2527s_Island.gif

Incredible that even after all these years, it hasn't been dethroned!

(no, I'm not biased, you are biased!)
Replayed it last year. Of all my childhood faves, this is the one that stands out. I'm getting sentimental just looking at this Mode7 glory.

Best looking Nintendo games are also my favourite ones: Yoshi's Island, Mario Galaxy and Breath of the Wild.

Back
Top Bottom