• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What do you think about high end portables like Asus Rog Ally and Steam Deck?

Do you own a

• Steam Deck

Votes: 28 28.3%
  • Rog Ally

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Gpd win (any)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Ayaneo (any)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • None

Votes: 62 62.6%

• Total voters
I don't have any interest in portable gaming in general

but if I did a Steam Deck would be very appealing to me because Steam is my primary platform already and it would share a library with that

I am a PC gamer so they do look appealing to me. I'm probably going to see how they improve them before getting one though, it's still early days for this market and Steam Deck was the first big attempt to see if a market was there. I think they've proven there is but have a long way to go. Steam Deck itself has the issue of being Linux based and it's pretty clear the hardware has its shortcomings. But, this is a space I'm keeping an eye on since I love using my Switch both docked and undocked. I'm sure I'll end up with a PC handheld eventually.

They're both cool and both seem like good value in their own ways. Personally though, I don't use handhelds enough to justify the jump in. Also not as price competitive outside north America.

After (re-)watching videos on some of the Aya handhelds, I think I'd be all over a device combining the fantastic hardware designs by Aya with Valve's Deck tweaks to the APU and software side of things. Neither do I think a handheld running at 15 watts and above makes super much sense (looking at the Rog Ally in particular) with how small these batteries can be, nor do I think Windows lends itself well to these devices (at all, in its current state that is). Valve really nailed both aspects with the Deck (for the most part). But their mostly function-over-form inspired design approach isn't for me. Aya on the other hand: wow, super pretty designs. I want a Deck 2 like that.

I don't like pc gaming with a few games exceptions. I prefer the simplicity of just turning on a console an play without having to deal with specs, mods and that kind of things. That said, I have played steam deck and I don't like it, not just for what I exposed, but also the really poor battery, the bad ergonomics (the weight is too much for a handheld imo) and that it basically plays the games as they are on PC, usually not optimized for a smaller screen and with huge file sizes. I think its a great mini PC and a great entry point to that market, but it's not comparable with a handheld console.

Also personally what I love about the switch is that I don't have to stuck with the portable or the TV experience, and with the deck using the dock is not as simple as with the switch and usually it doesn't adjust the games for the display change as good as switch does. It's a great machine, but definitely I'm not the target.

20230710-152951.jpg

So I got it today. It was brand new. Wrapped in plastic and not a single fingerprint. Everything works so far too. I will remove those lights though šŸ˜…

This is just amazing
20230710-182728.jpg

I feel overjoyed šŸ˜

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom