• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What are your predictions for the next systems launch year lineup?

Metalane

Rattata
Well, it seems that the Switch's successor is finally roughly a year out, as my guess is Q4 2024 at the latest, and Q2 at the earliest.

Now, Nintendo's lineup is obviously still a mystery, but I have some certain predictions, and a few guesses of what we could see next year.

Most Likely:

Metroid Prime 4

(Could very well be cross-gen, but still a launch-year title none the less, maybe even a launch title it self. I believe it got rebooted in 2018, so 5-7 years of development makes a 2024 very certain imo.)

Next 3D Mario

(Odyssey will be 7 years old by next year, so if anything, we are overdue for the next mainline installment. I don’t predict it'll be an Odyssey 2, but rather a new entry entirely. Very slim chance for this, but I'm hoping it'll go more of a BOTW route, and we'll finally get a fully open-world game. I could write a whole separate thread about this.)

Princess Peach Game

(Now, obviously this was announced for the current Switch, but I have a feeling it could be a cross-gen launch title, since they vaguely just gave us a 2024 time-frame.)

New Mario Baseball Game

(While only rumoured, I feel a new Mario Sports entry isn't farfetched at all. It's possible the new system will release later in the year, so this and Princess Peach will close off the Switch for the Mario franchise.)

Less Likely:

New 2D/3D Donkey Kong Game

(Oh man, there's a lot to say about this one. Is it 2D, 3D, open world, etc? Who knows, but I think it's certain that something has been cooking for a while. Hole crap though, could you imagine a new 3D Donkey Kong, Metroid Prime 4, and 3D Mario all in the same year? Definitely too good to be true.)

Mario Kart 9:

(While the DLC for MK 8 Deluxe is still finishing up this year, it's not impossible that they have the successor ready for next year. MK 8 Deluxe was the best-selling MK game by far, so they know their consumer base would eat up another one no matter what.)

That's all I can think of for now. A new Animal Crossing, Pokémon, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., Star Fox, Splatoon, and mainline Zelda (maybe another 2D one or remake is a possibility), all seem very far away for now.

Are there any sequels, spin-offs, or new IP's that have been rumoured for years now, that I missed? And luckily, since backwards-compatibility is a given, I hope we'll get more original titles than ports this gen.

Go for something new and fresh that I did not expect. Like when they made Arms, 1-2 Switch, Ring Fit Adventure or Sushi striker. I want less sequels.

Go for something new and fresh that I did not expect. Like when they made Arms, 1-2 Switch, Ring Fit Adventure or Sushi striker. I want less sequels.
I would love a Nintendo Land sequel honestly, or something like it. And yes, a new Sports title would be great too.

It depends on what the systems new gimmick will be, because they'll want to show off whatever new tech they've got.

Likely:
3D Mario
Mario Kart
Casual IP
Zelda remake/remaster/spin-off
Pokemon spin-off

Either it or Switch (or both):
Metroid Prime 4
DK
Camelot game
Grezzo game
ND Cube game

Plausible:
New IP
Astral Chain
Xenoblade
Kirby
ARMS
Ring Fit
Good-Feel game
Splatoon spin-off
Nintendo IP x Warriors game
Mario & Sonic go to Paris

Unlikely:
Zelda
Pikmin
2D Metroid
Pokemon
Smash
Wario
Animal Crossing
Splatoon
Bayonetta
Fire Emblem

Wild Card:
Star Fox
series revival
Nintendo-funded/permanently exclusive sequel to third-party IP

This is just new, mainline games in the series (unless otherwise noted). I'm sure we'll get some remakes/ports, but those are harder to guess. Most of the currently rumored ones (F-Zero, TTYD, FE4) I think are likelier for just Switch.

One the Camelot/Grezzo/ND Cube/Good-Feel games is likely the Peach game (if not NLG), which I'm not confident about on a cross-release, but we'll see.

Feels really similar to this other thread

You’re all forgetting collection of small tech demos bundled together that goes on to get an 8/10 from Nintendo Life

I wonder if they will do some earlier reveals than the 1-1.5 year out thing they seem to prefer a little more now. Switch launch had like fire emblem and Yoshi years out (probably delays but still). Bayo 3 was announced early in etc. Near console launch console devs need to sell us on the platform future so its not impossible. Wouldn't be too different to how Microsoft and Sony announced some titles a way out more recently. Personally I never disliked seeing games that are years away, I like to have stuff to look forward to, just be clear they are not remotely on the horizon.

Back
Top Bottom