• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What are you thoughts on Ninendo's long reveal to release cycles like Bayonetta 3, TOTK and Prime 4?

What are your thoughts on long reveal to release time on games

• I love it

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I hate it games should be revealed close to release

Votes: 48 48.5%
  • I don't care

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • im ok with it

Votes: 19 19.2%

• Total voters
Pretty clear at this point that these games were not meant to have such long periods of time known to the public. If all had gone according to plan, Prime 4 would’ve been ready for 2019-2020, TOTK by 2021, and bayonetta 3 who knows.

Pikmin’s a different story. Not sure what compelled Miyamoto to say that in 2015. But these are definitely not the norm, and 3/4 of those games turned out great so far. So I voted I don’t care.

I think overall - Nintendo is exceptionally good at reveal -> release with the occasional long case. Bayo 3, Prime 4, TotK are the exception, not the norm. A quick and dirty count of the last 4 years of Nintendo published games I have the following:

1+ year reveal -> release = 7 games
7-12 months reveal -> release = 9 games
6 months or less reveal -> Release = 43 games

That's pretty good to me. I dont mind the single game here and there with a longer cycle, but absolutely prefer shorter cycles.

I think knowing Metroid Prime 4 exists is better than just endlessly speculating on it with little hope like we were by 2013-2017.

The other two tho? BotW was 2 years old when TotK got revealed, Bayo 2 was 3 yo and getting a port for Switch (while I do agree it would also be uncertain if we didn't know it was coming).

Would be way better if we only got TotK revealed at E3 2021 for 2022(then delayed) than this painful "sequel to breath of the wild" being known since 2019 and only coming in 2023.

I think games should be revealed at most 18 months before release. So Splatoon 3 at most. Or what TotK was intended to, announce a game at June/E3 of one year to release on the fall of the following year.

Announcing games that won't be coming the following year - and of course delays happen, I'm talking about something like Bayo 3 or TotK reveal teasers - is one of the things in the industry that I think sucks the most.

If they did it with a lot of games it would annoy me, but since it's just a few with particular circumstances I don't really mind. The ultra-polished TOTK was worth the wait.

I don't think any of them were intended to take so long as they did... Nintendo is amongst the few companies that doesn't really like to reveal their games so ahead of release. Barring the "desperate mode" of the Wii U era, they tend to only reveal their games when they're close to completion.

Retaining the audience with promises on the longterm is more a Sony thing to do... and I really don't like it.

“Hate” is a strong word. I’d prefer if most games had short reveal-to-release timelines (which is honestly the case with modern Nintendo), but I don’t care enough to get emotional about it.

The Pikmin 4 announcement in 2015 was pretty weird. It's not like they were announcing a new Mario or Zelda game ahead of time. This is Pikmin we're talking about. A series that wasn't that popular and is only starting to gain traction with the 4th game on the Switch
Yeah very weird. Maybe it was because Wii U had a well-received Pikmin game in the first year so he thought there was an audience there? Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom