• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What are you folks favorite birds?

Puffin

Rattata
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
For me, it's puffins (Yes, really!).

%D1%82%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%BA.gif
oskol-confused.gif

But not just puffins, I frankly love all birds.
From little Budgerigars, to big Emus.
From Owls, who are contrary to image, quite dumb, to the incredibly intelligent Corvids.
Even the seagulls who steal my chips, and the Magpies who swoop my head, I too love them to bits.

Barn Owls (or Snowy or Eagle Owls, just owls in general)

Also the shoebill
I like the commentary quoted in this video- “I have no idea why it’s called a shoebill, it’s a death pelican.”

Also Secretary Birds are really cool too, the way they hunt snakes

I was obsessed with birds when I was a little kid, haha.

The Northern Lapwing was one of my favorites…

Northern-lapwing.jpg

I love lots of birbs. Penguins and puffins and falcons and owls and hummingbirds are some of my favorite. I also love budgies <3

Crows are also super cool and funny.

Always loved the Eurasian bullfinch, such a pretty bird.. usually have a lot of them in our yard during the winter season.
They're called Domherre here in Sweden, so with some imagination and use of Swenglish they're called Doom Lords in our household.

hr25neY.png

Owls, Penguins and birds with big eyes - no matter the bird - are also among the favorites hehe

Puffin is an awesome choice

I don't know a lot about birds but I like the ones that visit my garden, so... robin, blue tit, goldfinch, those are all beautiful.

My own parrots :) I love 'em both to pieces. Tough to look after though: I don't recommend people get birds unless they're really dedicated.

This is an easy one, lol.

Absolutely surrounded by herons where I live. Green Herons around the pool and in the hedges, Great Egrets everywhere, Cattle Egrets on my car for the half-year they're here, Great Blue Herons in the ponds, Snowy Egrets in the trees, and every night there's a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron that camps outside my door and squawks and flies off when I pull into my driveway. Occassionally see Reddish Egrets and Little Blue Herons too. And rarely a Black-crowned Night Heron.

All spectacular birds.

Love all the Puffin shouts here. I've been puffin-hunting (for photos lol) on the coasts of Ireland before but never seen any. I've got to rectify that this year.

Got a good pic of a Scaly-naped Pigeon recently - that's an unusual and rare bird around here. Incredibly eerie eyes.

EDIT: Also have to shout out to the incredible Cuban Crow! Sounds like it's drunk, people think there's a wild turkey in the trees when it comes about. And then all the Smooth-billed Anis start following it around like it's their king, it's hilarious to watch.

1. Hummingbirds. A lot of hummingbirds come to my backyard to pass the winter and they drink off the few feeders I've put and I love observing them in cold Sundays. There seriously aren't too many things I enjoy in life more than that. Occasionally, a momma will put her nest, too, but the last time it happened was two years ago. It still can happen this semester, actually, but I doubt it.

2. Kiwis. Furry birbs, funny angry sounds, invisible wings, funny running, mammal whiskers, funny calls. I hope I can see one in person someday. This is one of my favorite YT videos:

3. Shoebills. Learned of them in Skyward Sword and the real things are even cooler. I got to interact with one a few years ago and I loved how perpetually sinister they look. The chicks are cute, though.

4. Emperor penguins. Everybody loves emperor penguins, doesn't need explanations.

5. Ravens. Just like with hummingbirds, a lot come to my backyard and I occasionally feed them. They look so mesmerizing and they'd been very clever right in front of me, not just as seen in videos online.

I just realized I have way too many favourites. Birds are just great. Corvids/crows are great just for the shenanigans and tomfoolery they get involved in as well as their intelligence. It's mindblowing and so damn cool.

a1e.jpg

I also love snowy owls; they just look so regal and majestic. Years ago there was an arctic cell that moved way south, and I got a photo of a snowy owl perched on the roof of a house not a stone's throw away from Lake Ontario. Absolutely surreal seeing one so close and so far away from it's natural habitat that wasn't a zoo or sanctuary.

snowy_owl_main_480x480.png

Also I just love the really colour birbs; scarlet macaws especially. Red, yellow, green and blue birbs

scarletmacaws.jpg

There's also more than a few cardinals that nest around my neighbourhood; they're nice birbs

h_a1_3725_3_northern-cardinal_carole_wiley_kk_adult-male-and-adult-female_0.jpg

Favorite animals are always difficult for me because I have so many. I might be able to post my very favorite birds though. Not including dinosaurs because that would make it too difficult, but I think I can include prehistoric animals that are literally just prehistoric birds. My "top 3" in no order:

Archaeopteryx: Always loved this funny dinosaur/bird for some reason.

_75003400_e4450111-artwork_of_an_archaeopteryx,_the_first_bird-spl.jpg

Vultures: I feel like vultures get too much dislike. I just think they're so unique and funny.

Website_SpeciesPage_Vulture01_Hero.webp

Secretary bird: I just think they're super cool looking.

Secretary-bird.jpg

Why are you making me choose?! Birds are awesome. It’s legitimately hard to think of a bird I don’t like.

For now I’ll pick the golden pheasant, which is what I’d imagine phoenixes would look like. Though I also have a super soft spot for secretary birds, Philippine eagles, rockhopper penguins, magpies, tawny owls…

For me, it's puffins (Yes, really!).

%D1%82%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%BA.gif
oskol-confused.gif

But not just puffins, I frankly love all birds.
From little Budgerigars, to big Emus.
From Owls, who are contrary to image, quite dumb, to the incredibly intelligent Corvids.
Even the seagulls who steal my chips, and the Magpies who swoop my head, I too love them to bits.
European Robin. They're not very smart, but they make up for it with how personable they are. Me, my mother and my grandfather all had robins that would approach us. My grandfather would feed the robin crumbs and bits of bacon fat, with the backdoor open he'd just put it on the end of the table, and he and the bird would have breakfast together. My mother has had FOUR GENERATIONS of robin visiting her house, one got so comfortable it ended up getting lost and it had to be carried outside because the living room was stressing it out. Robins will come in, eat crumbs, ham, dried worms she's left out, and then when breeding season comes about, they bring their young, two at a time, and they sit outside the glass back door and watch their mother gather food and bring it out to them. So next year, two robins visit. Then for myself, it wasn't the first apartment I moved into since it didn't have a balcony or yard, but the second DID have a balcony, and what started happening? A robin started visiting. It would perch atop my lily and scour the kitchen for food, and if I knew it was about, I'd make sure to leave something out. So it got brave, and not only would it stop flying away when I approached it, but it started following me around campus, chirping when it got hungry.

They may not be very bright, or very sociable with other birds, and they can be really quite violent towards other robins! But every robin seems to have their own personality. Some are more skittish. Some are more food motivated. Some just get bored and walk into a human abode to have something to chirp at that won't harm them.

Back
Top Bottom