• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What are the Metacritic averages on any six of your all-time favourite games?

Burnout 3 takedown 93 - The best racing game ever made. Close to perfection for me
Oblivion 94 - amazing graphics when it came out awesome
Black ops2 83 - FPS multiplayer king
Super Mario Galaxy 97 - Perfect 3D platformer
Zelda Majora's mask 95 _ so good and so unique. I only played this a few months ago on 3DS. Nintendo will never make a game like this again.
Crash team Racing 88 - Best local co-op game
Super Mario World / N/a

I deliberately left out soccer games

Metacritic average = 91.6

Looks I'm a Metacritic fanboy

Last edited:
Metal Gear Solid: 94
Banjo-Kazooie: 92
Persona 5 Royal: 94
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 93
Tears Of The Kingdom: 96
Pokemon Platinum: 83

Average: 92

I guess that's okay

Last edited:
Chrono Trigger - 92
Xenoblade - 92
Super Metroid - tbd??
Yoshi's Island - 91
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - tbd again
Link to the Past - 95

uh since two of them are tbd I'll keep going

Super Mario 64 - 94
DKC2 - 80 (wtf? I object)

Metacritic average: 90.6

Skewed rather hard at the end by DKC2's undeserved (imo) sub-90 score. Which confuses me. Weird.

Chrono Trigger - 92
Xenoblade - 92
Super Metroid - tbd??
Yoshi's Island - 91
Link to the Past - 95

Super Mario 64 - 94

Skewed rather hard at the end by DKC2's undeserved (imo) sub-90 score. Which confuses me. Weird.
yeah thats a low score for DKC 2

Silent Hil 2 - 89
Grim Fandango - 94
We Love Katamari - 86
Pikmin 3 - 87
Wandersong - 82
Outer Wilds - 85

Average - 87.16

92 - Warcraft 3
88 - Starcraft
93 - Starcraft 2
N/A - Heroes of Might and Magic 3
97 - BotW
96 - TotK

That's the GBA version, which really is far worse than the SNES one.
I wouldnt even count it :p

Same for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for me, there's no score for the PC version but absolute disaste IOS version has a rating which I refuse to count :D

My top 6 is in a state of flux but:

Resident Evil (2002) - 91
Metroid Prime - 97
Dark Souls - 89
Super Metroid - tbd
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - tbd
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 94

this average: 92.75

I cheated a bit and included original releases for Prime and REmake even though I first played the Trilogy VC for Prime and the remaster for REmake on PC, because the versions have mostly minimal changes. For Ocarina of Time, I'm including the version I actually played since it has substantial changes.

However, this isn't a good list because two of the games don't have a metacritic score, and I'm not sure about Prime staying in my top 10 after the remaster. So here's a different one:

Resident Evil (2002) - 91
Resident Evil 4 (2023) - 93
Dark Souls - 89
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 94
Silent Hill 2 - 89
Super Mario 3D World - 93

this average: 91.50

overall, I'm ashamed

Super Smash Bros. Melee - 92
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 95
Soulcalibur III - 86
Pokemon Platinum - 83
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 88
In the Groove 2 - N/A, but ITG1 has a 72

Xenoblade X - 84
Bayonetta - 90
Pokemon Soul Silver - 87
BoTW/ToTK - 97/96
Halo 3 - 94
Super Mario Sunshine - 92
Resident evil 4 - 96

I've played so many games in my life that it's almost impossible to choose only 6 games, but let's give it a try:

Xenogears - 84
Xenosaga 1 - 83
Xenoblade 3 - 89
Devil may cry 3 - 84
Persona 4 - 90
Suikoden 5 - 76

Average - 84,3

Metroid Dread - 88
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 89
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 85 (PS4, despite combat improvements on Switch at 88)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - 85
CrossCode - 86 (PC)
Sonic Heroes - 72 (GCN)

Average: 84

It's extremely hard for me to make a list like this, but just naming some off the top of my head I think about a lot lately nets me a solid score that rounds up to 77.

Pathologic - 76
Drakengard 3 - 61
Nier Gestalt - 68
SMT: Strange Journey - 80
Demon Souls(PS3)/Darks Souls - 89 (can't make up my mind here, same score so who cares one always makes my top 10)
Dishonored 2 - 86

This is one of the better spreads for the games that regularly hit my top 10. Morrowind(89), Silent Hill 2/3(89/85), and MonHunGenU(80) missing the list and Yoko Taro appearing twice hurt me quite a bit. Dropping Drakengard for one of those would drag me up to around 79-81. That being said I am far more likely to put like a Tri-Ace game (Resonance of Fate - 72) in there instead which wouldn't be a drastic improvement.

Tears of the Kingdom: 96
Ocarina of Time: 99
Super Mario World: 94 (Gamerankings)
Pokemon Soul Silver: 87
COD 4 Modern Warfare: 94
F-Zero GX: 89

Average: 93.2

It's hard to just pick six favorites, and there's definitely some recency bias at play, but in the spirit of the thread:

Star Ocean 3 - 80
Lost Odyssey - 78
Fantasy Life - 73
Process of Elimination - 70
The Alliance Alive - 74
Octopath Traveler 2 - 86

Which averages out to... 76.8. Reviewers are not kind to the games I like :'(

Tears of the Kingdom : 96
Sin and Punishment Successor of the skies : 87
Metal Gear Solid V : 93
Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean : 80 ( criminally underrated )
Warcraft 3 : 92
Super Mario Odyssey : 97

Average : 90,8

Super hard to pick just 6 games and the list is never set in stone but I chose the first 6 games that came to my mind.

Last edited:
Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies/Star Successor - 87
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 96
Metroid: Zero Mission - 89
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 86
Panzer Dragoon Saga - n/a or 92 on Gamerankings
Resident Evil 4 - 96

Using the version with the highest scores which is usually the one to release first I get an average of exactly 91.

Uuuuh picking 6 games is extremely hard but let's give it a try:

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 96
Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 99
Super Mario 64 - 94
Xenogears - 84
Suikoden II - 82
Mass Effect 2 - 96

Average 91,8.

Looks like i'm a sheep, sorry!

Most of the games I really like are in the high 80s-90s but Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky has like 49? So yeah metacritic isn't perfect.

Ocarina of Time- 99
Mother 3- N/A
Xenoblade Chronicles 2- 83
Link's Awakening- 87 (Switch version, though I group it with the original in my own mental accounting)
Super Mario Bros. 3- N/A
Mass Effect 2- 96

91.25, though having the literal high scoring game of all time in my favorites throws things a bit. Also, not sure this is my definitive top 6, Civilization IV or V could have easily taken a slot, as well as potentially New Vegas.

0jvlxw3.png

mdInlEt.png

a3NQyJU.png

fiCOld0.png

ptApp4w.png

Tg9wK6J.png

you might notice a mild pattern that im a huge fan of 2d, handhelds, and excellent storytelling!

It's extremely hard for me to make a list like this, but just naming some off the top of my head I think about a lot lately nets me a solid score that rounds up to 77.

Pathologic - 76
Drakengard 3 - 61
Nier Gestalt - 68
SMT: Strange Journey - 80
Demon Souls(PS3)/Darks Souls - 89 (can't make up my mind here, same score so who cares one always makes my top 10)
Dishonored 2 - 86

This is one of the better spreads for the games that regularly hit my top 10. Morrowind(89), Silent Hill 2/3(89/85), and MonHunGenU(80) missing the list and Yoko Taro appearing twice hurt me quite a bit. Dropping Drakengard for one of those would drag me up to around 79-81. That being said I am far more likely to put like a Tri-Ace game (Resonance of Fate - 72) in there instead which wouldn't be a drastic improvement.

these kind of lists are my favourites. SMT Strange Journey is a deep cut even for SMT fans like me and i love it

Only modern favorites since many of the older games I love don't have metascores:

Tears of the Kingdom - 96
Fire Emblem Awakening - 92
Breath of the Wild - 97
Yakuza 0 - 85 (should be 100, damnit)
Persona 5 - 94
Super Mario Odyssey: 97

Average: 93,5. Also 2017 is my personal GOAT year in gaming :cool:

I'm going to pick six of my favorite non-Nintendo made games just to not have repeats.

Killer7 (74 GCN version)
Little King's Story (87 Wii version)
Dragon Quest VIII (89 PS2 version)
FFXIV 2.0 A Realm Reborn (79 PS3 version)
Phantasy Star Universe (64 Xbox 360 Version)
Battlefield Bad Company 2 (88 Xbox 360 version)

Metacritic Average = 80

I guess I love slummin' it.

Last edited:
Hollow Knight - 90
Final Fantasy VII - 92
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade - 89
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 95 (GBA)
Chrono Trigger - 95 (DS)
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - 85

Average - 91

I’m only using games that actually have scores on MC, so some of my favorite games ever (namely Super Metroid, Earthbound, Final Fantasy IV, and Final Fantasy VI) aren’t listed here.

Oh damn Pathologic 2 is 99? Looks like y'all have to play it. Don't bother checking Metacritic, it went down and might glitch out and show the wrong number when it's up.

My top six games that actually have metacritic scores:

Breath of the Wild - 97 (it's 96 for the WiiU version but c'mon, how many people are gonna play that version)

Yoshi's Island - 91 (Score based on the GBA version, SNES was unavailable)

Chrono Trigger - 92 (score based on the DS version, SNES was unavailable)

Super Mario Odyssey - 97

Doom 1993 - 83 (score based on the Switch version, no other versions had scores)

Metroid Prime - 97 for gamecube, 94 for Switch (since so many other games on my list are using their latest release's score, I'll go with the Switch version's here; besides, that is the version I'd choose to play now that it's an option)

Average score of 92.3

Not bad considering most of these scores are actually from rereleases, which tend to skew lower than if the games were brand-new.

A Link to the Past - 95

Metroid Prime Remastered - 94

Super Mario Galaxy - 97

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - 91

Symphony of the Night - 93

Overall average: 94

Breath of the wild 97
Super Mario galaxy 2 97
Banjo Kazooie 92
Metroid Dread 88
Skyrim 96
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance 85

Most of my favorites are pretty well-regarded. I'll avoid listing more than one game per series.

BioShock -- 96
Resident Evil 4 (2005) -- 96
Bloodborne -- 92
Metroid Fusion -- 92
Shadow of the Colossus -- 91
Yakuza 0 -- 85

I'm surprised Metroid Fusion is at a 92, but it deserves it. Yakuza 0 absolutely should've cracked 90.

Most of my favorites are pretty well-regarded. I'll avoid listing more than one game per series.

BioShock -- 96
Resident Evil 4 (2005) -- 96
Bloodborne -- 92
Metroid Fusion -- 92
Shadow of the Colossus -- 91
Yakuza 0 -- 85

I'm surprised Metroid Fusion is at a 92, but it deserves it. Yakuza 0 absolutely should've cracked 90.
Regarding Yakuza 0's meta score..

I'll put my tinfoil hat in for a second. I think Yakuza 0 being so "low" is why I think Metascores are broken and reviews can definitely be inflated. It was too niche of a PS4 exclusive at the time for it to get that list-war exclusivity bump in numbers and it was also as a franchise not as well regarding in the West as it was when this particular one launched. If it had fanboy hype or big franchise hype around it I bet people would've been swept up in the zeitgeist and it'd easily have been a 90+ metacritic game. I'll take my tinfoil hat off and I'll accept any eye rolling anyone gives me.

Ogre Battle 64 - 82
Vanquish - 78
Cyber Shadow - 82
EarthBound - 74
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PC) - 81
Furi (Switch) - 74

Average - 78

EarthBound isn't on Metacritic, but I scoured the net for magazine reviews from 1995 and averaged out the scores it received (6.9 Game Players, 6 VideoGames Magazine, 8.9 GameFan, 8 from GamePro). It doesn't perfectly map to how Metacritic would weigh those scores nowadays, but it's close enough for my purposes

This is mindfully leaving off some of my obviously higher-scoring favs (Zelda games, FF12, Bayonetta, The House in Fata Morgana, basically all my favorite Nintendo games, etc.) just to see how my less lauded or more obscure favs stack up. And, uh...

...man, reviews on some of these are lwoer than I anticipated. Cyber Shadow's a solid 10/10, Furi's great, Ogre Battle 64 is an all-time RPG, Vanquish is a perfect shooter. What was everybody thinking? Who knows

Anyway, this is a really interesting exercise to illustrate how, at least for some games, contemporary reviews are far removed from historical perspectives on quality

Last edited:
For my money, Vanquish originally launched on PS3/360 which ran them in a way those machines simply could not handle, which handicapped it more than normal due to its speed. PC and 8th gen ports finally unleashed its quality.
I played it on 360

If I had to put money on it, I'd say that its lower score is more due to the game's length and narrative than performance issues

Xenoblade Chronicles - 92
Virtue's Last Reward - 88
Persona 5 Royal - 94
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky - 54
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 88

Metacritic Average: 85.33

I chose the higher scores for Xenoblade, Virtue's Last Reward, and 13 Sentinels since I wasn't sure what to do about multiplatform games/games with rereleases. Also skipped Xenoblade 2 and 3 since it'd be less fun to have most of the list be Xenoblade.

Final Fantasy VIII - 90
Parappa the Rapper 2 - 67
Peggle Deluxe - 85
What the Golf? - 84
Deus Ex - 90
Tetris 99 - 83

Average - 83

This shit varies depending on the day and mood lmao.

Tears of the Kingdom: 96
Rimworld: 87
Stardew Valley: 89
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn : 78
Mario Superstar Baseball: 76

avg: 87

Honestly, maybe 3 or 4 of these will always be in my top 6 favorite games of all time regardless of said "day and mood" lol.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 89
Mario Galaxy: 97
Mario Kart Wii: 82
Wind Waker: 96
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 83
Elden Ring: 96

Average: 90.5

1. Breath of the Wild - 97
    My favorite game ever
  2. Persona 5 Royal - 95
    The best JRPG of all time (and probably a little underrated tbh)
  3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - 88
    Another underrated game that deserves a much higher rating than it has
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 96
    Masterpiece
  5. Final Fantasy IV - 85
    Sounds about right. Amazing game, but obviously less impressive now than it was when it literally wrote the book on what a console RPG is

Damn, people really do have more interesting taste than me. I need to step my game up!
you might notice a mild pattern that im a huge fan of 2d, handhelds, and excellent storytelling!
Ghost Trick getting an 83 is such a shame. I get why, but like, come on. At least the original version should have gotten a higher score!

The best JRPG of all time (and probably a little underrated tbh)
Ok, I already know where you were going with this when you wrote it (2nd best game of all time, should be 98, etc etc), and I can respect the unequivocal love for a game, that hussle is something I'd do 100%, but I feel like asking anyways - how is it underrated? :p A 95 is very good!

Ok, I already know where you were going with this when you wrote it (2nd best game of all time, should be 98, etc etc), and I can respect the unequivocal love for a game, that hussle is something I'd do 100%, but I feel like asking anyways - how is it underrated? :p A 95 is very good!
Because if there was any justice in the world it would be a 99 ofc

Yeah this is funny to me haha. Lost Odyssey is in the running for being the best JRPG I've ever played, and that one didn't even hit 80 :'D

Breath of the Wild - 97
Metroid Prime - 97
Twilight Princess - 95
Undertale - 92
NieR:Automata - 88

I'm pretty bad at counting averages. It's 93-94-ish?

Trying to see if I could scrape together 6 of my top 10 games that are over 90, but it didn't work.

Since the SNES versions of Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Super Mario World, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island didn't chart on Metacritic, I had to pick an alternate six:

Halo: Combat Evolved - 97
Portal 2 - 95
Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night - 93
Hades - 93
Bloodborne - 92
Final Fantasy VII - 92

Average: 94

Last edited:
Metroid Prime:97
Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom:96
Super Mario World:?
Paper Mario the Thousand Years Door:87
Resident Evil 4:96
Pokemon Black/White:87
average: 95

Wind Waker - 96
Mass Effect 2 - 94
MGS3 - 91
Fire Emblem Three Houses - 89
NCAA Football 14 - 77

90.5 Average

Chrono Trigger - 92
Xenoblade - 92
Super Metroid - tbd??
Yoshi's Island - 91
Link to the Past - 95

Super Mario 64 - 94

DKC2 I guess is because is the GBA version

No idea what my absolute six favorite are, but choosing six games I like:
  • Trails in the Sky SC 80
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 90 Wii / 89 Switch
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. No Score.
  • Animal Crossing NL 88
  • Rune Factory 4S 81
  • Virtue's Last Reward 88
Average, ignoring GotHW, is 85. Which, okay, sounds about right for someone who doesn't tend to vibe with most of the mainstream high fidelity mass market shtuff.

Disco Elysium - 92

Elden Ring 96

Sekiro 90

Tears of the Kingdom 96

Hollow Knight 90

Super Mario Odyssey 97

Average:

I've played games since the early 90's and I'm struck by quality of games we've gotten in the last couple of years. Like, before 2017, my top 6 would probably all been games that are 20 years old by now. I feel like this is truly a golden age of gaming. A large part thanks to Nintendo really delivering with Mario and Zelda on top of From Software's consistent quality this past decade. And of course all the fantastic indie games and smaller scope games we get.

Back
Top Bottom