• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What’s the fate of the rest of Rare’s N64 catalogue on NSO?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2807
  • Start date
I just hope for DK64 and Banjo-Tooie (given that we already have the original it should be safe to assume the sequel will come, also it's already on Xbox), and being very, very hopefull, Diddy Kong racing. That would be the dream.

The thing is, everyone assumes how things work but no one has ever tried to confirm anything about executive decisions, like how people think Nintendo had maybe prevented the XBLA remaster of Goldeneye to be reused for parity reasons; which I have my real doubts it was the reason.
It was MGM, the Goldeneye guru, Graslu00 says they're also the reason why Rare didn't make a new James Bond because of new strict guidelines MGM started to impose for new games. Also Barabara Broccoli apparently hates the game, saying it's too violent and that's why there's no remaster.

It was MGM, the Goldeneye guru, Graslu00 says they're also the reason why Rare didn't make a new James Bond because of new strict guidelines MGM started to impose for new games. Also Barabara Broccoli apparently hates the game, saying it's too violent and that's why there's no remaster.
Eon productions is owned by Broccoli not MGM, but otherwise yeah.

Hopefully at the very least we get Banjo Tooie. It's one of my favorite games of all time. It's way better than Banjo Kazooie.

Diddy Kong Racing HD for Xbox Series X/S and Switch…I need this in my life.

A part of me also wonders if Nintendo possibly sees Diddy Kong Racing as unnecessary, as in, their mindset being “We HAVE a Kart Racer - it’s called Mario Kart.” and kind of only supporting the Mario Kart franchise.

I dunno - give me balloons and an Adventure Mode with a hub world in Mario Kart 9 and maybe I’ll be satiated.

(Throw in David Wise to compose for extra measure)

Everything should come except for maybe Mickey's Speedway USA (Depends on Disney) and Conker's BFD (Amongst THE most difficult N64 games to emulate, and would necessitate an increase in age rating for the NSO app to 18+/M).

There's no reason why the rest of Rare's N64 catalogue can't come over. Even Mickey's Speedway USA is far from impossible, especially seeing as how Disney are actually quite proactive about getting their legacy games re-released these days. Conker's BFD is the real big ? though... because there's no getting around the need to increase the NSO app's age rating with that game thrown into the mix...

I don't think Diddy Kong Racing is a similar situation to Donkey Kong 64 at all.

Nintendo owns all of the characters in Donkey Kong 64. Microsoft owns 90% of the characters in Diddy Kong Racing. That will always be the dark cloud hanging over Diddy Kong Racing.

What's to stop Microsoft from playing hardball and arguing: "Well, if Rare Replay owners can't have this, why should Switch owners?"

The only reason NSO got Banjo-Kazooie is because Xbox owners got it too.

You say this, but DKR has already been re-released once before...

And that was long before the current era of buddy buddy Nintendo & Microsoft. DKR will happen eventually, it's just a matter of when, not if.

Last edited:
I find it funny people think DKR will be some impossible bridge to cross when we just got Goldeneye 007.

It's not just about whether it's possible, it's also whether it's worth the time/effort from Nintendos point of view. Like you said, Goldeneye happened and that's probably one of the biggest challenges from the n64 there could have been.

But Goldeneye was also one of those genre defining games that has a lot of history behind it, and also the kind of nostalgia that, frankly, sells subscriptions. Diddy Kong racing just doesn't have that, and so is of much less value on the 'amount of effort we should put in' front.

My gut says DK64, DKR, BT and Blast Corps. With 1-2 of those in wave 3.

Personally though, I'm more interested in what they might have lined up from other pubs. Like the Konami/Hudson treasure trove, Puyo Puyo Sun/~n, RR64 or what's holding back Harvest Moon 64?

It's not just about whether it's possible, it's also whether it's worth the time/effort from Nintendos point of view. Like you said, Goldeneye happened and that's probably one of the biggest challenges from the n64 there could have been.

But Goldeneye was also one of those genre defining games that has a lot of history behind it, and also the kind of nostalgia that, frankly, sells subscriptions. Diddy Kong racing just doesn't have that, and so is of much less value on the 'amount of effort we should put in' front.
What effort?

"Hey Microsoft, can we throw the rom of Diddy Kong Racing on NSO"
"Yeah, sure"
"Thanks, lets sign the paperwork"

That's all Nintendo would have to do honestly and then maybe iron out an emulation issue or two like they always do.

Everything should come except for maybe Mickey's Speedway USA (Depends on Disney) and Conker's BFD (Amongst THE most difficult N64 games to emulate, and would necessitate an increase in age rating for the NSO app to 18+/M).
Conker's BFD is only dependent on the hard emulation side considering Nintendo is now obligated to implement something about the 18+/M rating in their N64 NSO app because of Goldeneye in Japan so...

I mean, Diddy didn't sell Goldeneye numbers but it still sold extremely well. Strong word of mouth of it being the best kart racer on the N64 also helps.

Edit: Yeah it was the 8th best selling game on the console with 4.88 million units.

Conker's BFD is only dependent on the hard emulation side considering Nintendo is now obligated to implement something about the 18+/M rating in their N64 NSO app because of Goldeneye in Japan so...

Is Goldeneye even available on the Japanese NSO service?

I think Nintendo already negotiated for most (if not all) of Rare's N64 games to come to NSO. I suspect this deal was done before Nintendo even announced the NSO Expansion Pack, and it's a big reason why the cost is $50/year.

The whole purpose of NSO is to increase recurring revenue and profit. To do that, they can add value to attract more subscribers, or raise the price. If their costs go up, they either need more revenue per subscriber or more subscribers.

I think they decided they would have to pay to license Rare games to make the economics of N64 on NSO work. Rare's games are a huge part of the N64 library and legacy, accounting for 4 of the 10 best-selling N64 games. GoldenEye was #3 after only Mario 64 and Mario Kart. Compare that to the NES where 10 of the 10 best-selling games were developed by Nintendo. Basically, an N64 library with Rare's games is worth much more than one without.

So they decided on a high price point ($50 and there's no monthly option!) that will more than cover the costs of licensing from Microsoft (and Sega). They announced Banjo when they announced the service to send the message that Rare games are on the table, and now we have GoldenEye too.

Now, post-launch, they can decide exactly when they need more subscribers and drop a game or add first-party DLC (fixed cost). So I think we'll see big sellers like DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark dropped strategically over the next couple years on NSO to make that $50/year more attractive. I'd expect games like Conker, Blast Corps, KI:Gold too. But we'll probably see the SNES version of KI first :ROFLMAO:

Edit: One more point on the no-monthly-option and timing. It's not a coincidence at all that they announced GoldenEye a year after the expansion pack. So if you bought a year subscription in fall 2021, played Mario, Zelda, etc and were going to let your year lapse in October 2022 because $50 is a lot to pay, they promised a huge game just before you were asked to renew. So expect that to keep happening.

Last edited:
Yeah Diddy Kong Racing is still a very popular game even if it's not quite on GoldenEye's level, it, Smash Bros. and DK64 are the only top 10 best selling N64 titles not currently available or announced for NSO.

e45d23c1e549a4ddf0c78472e31a1716.png

It even got a remake on DS (which also sold over a million).

for what it's worth last year there's been diddy kong racing merchandise from fangamer (minus diddy kong, obviously)

rare/microsoft owns nearly the entirety of diddy kong racing and if they wanted to they could port it without diddy kong
Kind of hilarious that they can't mention the name of the game they are from, but I understand why.

I'm sure if they stripped Diddy out of the game and replaced the title screen and anything else they could get away with it. But it would be a lot of work for a release that would make people mad they aren't getting the real thing.

Kind of hilarious that they can't mention the name of the game they are from, but I understand why.

I'm sure if they stripped Diddy out of the game and replaced the title screen and anything else they could get away with it. But it would be a lot of work for a release that would make people mad they aren't getting the real thing.
Rare only holds certain character rights iirc, Nintendo owns the game itself.

Rare only holds certain character rights iirc, Nintendo owns the game itself.
diddy kong racing is notable for being rare's first self-published game: as such, the boxart for diddy kong racing on n64 attributes ownership of everything in the game except diddy kong and et all to rare, and with how the recent merchandise's been featuring not only characters but also tracks and miscellaneous elements from the game it'd only make sense that they own pretty much everything about it as with banjo-kazooie

diddy kong racing is notable for being rare's first self-published game: as such, the boxart for diddy kong racing on n64 attributes ownership of everything in the game except diddy kong and et all to rare, and with how the recent merchandise's been featuring not only characters but also tracks and miscellaneous elements from the game it'd only make sense that they own pretty much everything about it as with banjo-kazooie
Nintendo funded it though. The DKR DS boxart says Rare only holds rights to "certain characters" so I'd go with that.

Tooie is a game that pushes the hardware a decent bit, I don't know all the technical details but its known for being a bit of a task to emulate, I do know when people first got Mario64 running on a 3DS I mentioned Banjo and my friend who's more knowledgeable about that stuff said Tooie would never happen. I also believe there's some level of input delay built in due to this and that's part of why Canary Mary is such torture on XBLA, the delay is gone but the coding isn't. The switch is obviously much stronger then a 3ds, but still may be an issue since it is on PC emus too I think? Someone can correct me if I'm way off idk

And we are back!

Released-
Banjo-Kazooie
Blast Corps
GoldenEye 007
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark

Still waiting-
Banjo-Tooie
Conkey's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Killer Instinct Gold

Ain't happening-
Mickey's Speedway USA

As far as the one's that we are waiting for:

Banjo-Tooie: Will happen at some point.

Conkey's Bad Fur Day: I firmly believe that it will happen now given that there is a Mature app.

Diddy Kong Racing- This will be the biggest NSO update in the history of the service. No doubter.

Donkey Kong 64- Will happen. It was on the Wii-U VC.

Killer Instinct Gold- I think it will happen after we got the SNES game.

Basically, everything except for Mickey's Speedway USA has an excellent chance of making it to the NSO at some point.

And we are back!

Released-
Banjo-Kazooie
Blast Corps
GoldenEye 007
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark

Still waiting-
Banjo-Tooie
Conkey's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Killer Instinct Gold

Ain't happening-
Mickey's Speedway USA

As far as the one's that we are waiting for:

Banjo-Tooie: Will happen at some point.

Conkey's Bad Fur Day: I firmly believe that it will happen now given that there is a Mature app.

Diddy Kong Racing- This will be the biggest NSO update in the history of the service. No doubter.

Donkey Kong 64- Will happen. It was on the Wii-U VC.

Killer Instinct Gold- I think it will happen after we got the SNES game.

Basically, everything except for Mickey's Speedway USA has an excellent chance of making it to the NSO at some point.

yeah I didn't think we'd ever get Conker but now with the separate app it really does feel like everything but Mickey is inevitable at some point now

it may take another couple years for them all to be on there though

Back
Top Bottom