• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Well Fami, I just sold over 90% of my gaming collection

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
And I am feeling pretty good.

My wife and I are using it to help for a down payment for a house. It's so hard to get ahead in this world, but we recently received a grant from our city to help with a down payment. But of course, there are tons of expenses that it's kind of bullshit. So we had to make the call to sell our games.

I sold all of my consoles besides the Switch, the majority of my physical games. And I don't know, I do miss them. But I feel a lot lighter. I kept all of my absolute favorite games, and they just feel even more special now. And the fact that everything else I have sold is going to house, and stability, and our money not going to a fucking landlord. It feels good. All of those games gave me so much joy, but it's cool to see that it will provide us with stability, and make us a lot more inflation proof too.

Good on you, and early congratulations on the future house. I’m with you on all non-gaming counts here. Renting is broken nonsense. The process of buying a house is kind of soul crushing. And all the things that can go wrong once you have a house is straight up balderdash. I wish you the best of luck.

I’d love to shed a lot of the old gaming stuff I know I’ll never play again primarily for the house space. It also feels like a waste for these games and consoles to sit in boxes. Someone else could be enjoying them.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to, and I’ve even added dozens of Game Boy line games in the past three years. Part of it is sheer nostalgia and the memories associated with those consoles and games.

My wife and I are using it to help for a down payment for a house. It's so hard to get ahead in this world, but we recently received a grant from our city to help with a down payment. But of course, there are tons of expenses that it's kind of bullshit. So we had to make the call to sell our games.

I sold all of my consoles besides the Switch, the majority of my physical games. And I don't know, I do miss them. But I feel a lot lighter. I kept all of my absolute favorite games, and they just feel even more special now. And the fact that everything else I have sold is going to house, and stability, and our money not going to a fucking landlord. It feels good. All of those games gave me so much joy, but it's cool to see that it will provide us with stability, and make us a lot more inflation proof too.

Good job. I'm looking forward to that feeling of lightness once I inevitably pare down my collection as well.

It's worth it for a house.

I'm glad that being able to downsize gave you both peace and stability. You loved and appreciated your games, but they'll be loved by others and you'll have more funds to play with for that down payment!

I feel like, one day, I'll downsize big time. I'll certainly do so a bit if my partner and I move in together, as we have multiple copies of certain games. But I'm not quite ready to pair it down all the way yet. Still got a lot of sentimental value for my collection, though with time I more reasonably pair down GameCube, Wii, and maybe (3)DS? There are other things I see myself selling off first. My plush collection is a big one, lots of old plushes that could use new homes.

Collecting or keeping games can become a massive burden. I too sold the vast majority of my stuff quite some years ago, and just sticking with my current favorite platform (currently: Switch). It being a relief is relatable. It really began to nag me in the back of my mind, managing or even running out of space, the maintenance, and finances. I also don't have a huge income, and with the increased energy prices I'm quite happy with my current choice of platform.

Parting is such sweet sorrow. I'm glad you feel they went to a worthy cause and you're feeling good about it!

I've been trending on Digital more and more the past several years. Gaming probably isnt something I'll ever stop and that means the collections will only ever exponentially grow, whereas space and room will not. At some point, I dont think it'll be sustaniable to have an ever growing physical collection.

It's why I'm grateful Switch cartidges and cases are so small, they look uniform and classy on a shelf and dont take much room. I still think Switch or Drake will be my last physcial media system, I've already gone all digital for PS, XBOX, and movies, I dont miss physical for any of them. Nintendo I'm still holding on too, but at some point, it's gonna give.

It was always a big stickler that I've always had every Pokemon or Mario or Zelda game physically, so it would be hard to just cut that off, but
The way games are evolving, and how many developers are passing the torch to a new generation (Stuff like Charles retiring), it feels the end of an era in a lot of ways...... so I'm becoming more ok with moving on to a different format for a new era, if that makes sense.

Collecting or keeping games can become a massive burden. I too sold the vast majority of my stuff quite some years ago, and just sticking with my current favorite platform (currently: Switch). It being a relief is relatable. It really began to nag me in the back of my mind, managing or even running out of space, the maintenance, and finances. I also don't have a huge income, and with the increased energy prices I'm quite happy with my current choice of platform.
Yeah, specially ibbger cases. I did sell all of my ps3/ps4/3ds collection in the past years, just keeping like 8 games (namely the atelier ones) to finish paying my car and because I had to move for my job at the time and honestly felt really well. Not worrying about where to put them or take care of them when I really rare played them. Just kept my DS and current switch collection which are very easy to store. I remember my mom asking how did I get the money to finish paying the car one year before the actual contract and I was like "videogames"

What did you find was the best way to sell them? What sites did you use?

Any tips would be appreciated. Also, how long did it take to sell it all?

What did you find was the best way to sell them? What sites did you use?

Any tips would be appreciated. Also, how long did it take to sell it all?
It took me a week. I used Facebook marketplace. I priced all of the items very cheap for what they were, and everything sold very quickly.

Just wanted to update, we got the house.

We got approved for the loan, have enough for closing, the owners are leaving us a bunch of furniture, and equipment. All the appliances are updated. All the repairs we requested went through.

As happenstance, our apartment just sent a notice that they’re raising rent. And the cost they are charging for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment, in an area that’s drug ring and has constant gunshots going on in night, will actually be more than our mortgage for a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom, finished basement, and in safe part of town house.

Just wanted to update, we got the house.

We got approved for the loan, have enough for closing, the owners are leaving us a bunch of furniture, and equipment. All the appliances are updated. All the repairs we requested went through.

As happenstance, our apartment just sent a notice that they’re raising rent. And the cost they are charging for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment, in an area that’s drug ring and has constant gunshots going on in night, will actually be more than our mortgage for a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom, finished basement, and in safe part of town house.
Congratulations 😄

Congrats on getting your house!

I stopped being a collector a long time ago. It was never a huge collection, but it had some significant titles in there and I kinda do miss it. But then again, I value having space more than I do a bunch of things I rarely touch, so there's that.

That’s awesome! I’ve been thinking of doing the same. I’ve got bins of Super Nintendo games I’ve been thinking of offloading.

what games did you sell off tho
Here's a full list:
Consoles:
Xbox Series S
PS4

Games:
PS4:
Last of Us Remastered
Last of Us Part 2
Spiderman
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
FF7 Remake
FFXV royal edition
Borderlands Collection

Switch:
Pokémon Let's go Eevee
Pokémon Legends arceus
Pokémon Sword and Shield
Hyrule Warriors DE
Age of Calamity
Xenoblade DE
Monster Hunter Rise
AC New Horizons
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Mario Maker 2
NSMBUD
Doom 2016
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Yoshi's Crafted World
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Mario Tennis Aces
Luigis Mansion 3
Super Mario Party
Metroid Dread
Paper Mario the Origami King
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbids
Octopath Traveller

That’s awesome! I’ve been thinking of doing the same. I’ve got bins of Super Nintendo games I’ve been thinking of offloading.
Me too, there’s a couple I hang on to for nostaglia’s sake but I’ve been considering parting with my Saturn collection. Maybe my OG Xbox but not sure how. Probably keeping N64 and dreamcast but not sure on GC

Back
Top Bottom