• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club We have Kirby Star Allies and Fire Emblem Engage as Nintendo's "mainline franchise megamixes"; what should be next?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3315
  • Start date
Hmm, I see where you're coming from, especially when it comes to the number of abilities. But lately I've been playing Return to Dreamland and while I enjoy it, I'm seeing the cracks in the "Super Star fighting game inputs" version of copy abilities. At their worst, they're just a distraction and the variety they provide is empty. I try to use a range of moves, but nothing in the actual level design pushes me to do so outside of the copy ability challenge rooms.

By stripping down the copy abilities almost back to Adventure levels, FL allows for much more focus on puzzle solving. That's why Mouthful Mode fits in so well, because they're basically copy abilities but only available within a limited puzzle/platforming space.

Also, Kirby combat (outside of bosses) has never been all that interesting so nothing is lost without 12 different similar sword moves, 10 of which you won't use anyway. And with bosses, the simplified copy abilities are also a boon. Kirby bosses can get chaotic with the spamming of all the different moves, but simplified abilities and the excellent (if easy) dodge mechanic puts the focus back on learning from and responding to the bosses's moves.

Super Star is still one of my favorite games, but I would honestly be fine if the next 3D Kirby kept the simplified abilities and just added some more, along with whatever Mouthful-esque gimmick they come up with.

Well if you want the paradigm of "every move is meaningful and you have to use each one", then yeah, there's not much value in abilities with multiple moves.

But the Super Star combat system is my favorite combat system in any game (sacrilege for DMC, PlatinumGames, and FromSoft fans I know), because there's so much variety to style with and mix up.

Well if you want the paradigm of "every move is meaningful and you have to use each one", then yeah, there's not much value in abilities with multiple moves.

But the Super Star combat system is my favorite combat system in any game (sacrilege for DMC, PlatinumGames, and FromSoft fans I know), because there's so much variety to style with and mix up.
Yeah, I also love it. I don't know. I'm conflicted. All I do know is that the ability system they went with (plus Mouthful Mode) felt perfect for Forgotten Land, and the ability system in Super Star feels perfect for Super Star.

In fact I was thinking about what you said with regards to the level design in Star Allies last night when I was playing Return to Dreamland Deluxe. I had been getting bored with RtDD, but the level design really steps up as the game goes on. In Star Allies it just never does.

Back
Top Bottom