• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Wanted: Dead - Impressions

classicgamer504

Cappy
Banned

Ok, I didn't get a chance to play yesterday. But today, I played for a few hours. I read a number of reviews. Which like I figured, the game has mainly mixed reviews, with some positive and some negative, but mostly mixed.

Here is my thoughts and early impressions. This game is without a doubt, Devil's Third 2. It doesn't play like Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Bayonetta, etc. Doesn't play like Wet. Which I seen a number of people try to make comparisons to, before the game was released.
There's so many similarities to Devil's Third. From having similar mechanics, to the main protagonist being recruited from prison by the government, to having a similar storyline. It's like they took the Devil's Third formula and try to build on it. Which isn't saying much, because Devil's Third was a mediocre game with extremely poor performance. The game does feel way more polished than Devil's Third. But suffers from a similar game design. For whatever reason, the idea of Gun Kata combat (melee/3rd person shooter) sounds good on paper. But they just fail in the execution of getting the mechanics to flow naturally and perfectly.

The combat, as with Devil's Third, is very basic. It's not combo heavy. Which it was never meant to be. I could never understand why people expected these games to be like Ninja Gaiden or any other character action game for that reason. The melee combat is great, although limited. It feels satisfying. The 3rd person shooter elements, feels under developed, and useless at times. Like it's just there, for the sake of being there. There's a skill tree, that improves the variety of the overall combat. There's also a learning curve and requires some skill to perfect certain techniques. As you'll need them on certain enemies. The game can be challenging, but it's not overly difficult. At least, not in my opinion.

Visually, the graphics are good. But low budget. Think Suda 51 type budget. Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows Of The Damned, No More Heroes, etc. So if any one expecting this AA game to have high-end AAA graphics, they will be greatly disappointed.

The music is good. It has some pretty good tracks. The voice acting, is your standard B-movie level quality. Overall it's ok. I've heard much worse before. The sound effects on the other hand, leaves much to be desired, as some of the gun sounds and explosions come off as weak and underwhelming.

There's mini games, that you can play at the headquarters and they are quite fun to play. There's anime and live action cut scenes, that blend in with the story. The game is very over the top and has a special charm to it. The main protagonist Hannah Stone is actually a likeable and interesting protagonist. Which is something that I find ironic. That Wanted Dead, has a more interesting main character and team mates over Devil's Third. But, Devil's Third have more interesting boss characters.

Depending on your gaming preference, you may or may not enjoy this game. I tend to enjoy the AA, more linear niche games. Even more so than the huge AAA open world games, that's filled with the same formulas of having different side content and objectives all over the map. Most recently, I just couldn't get into Hogwarts Legacy. Not my cup of tea. So far, I've been enjoying myself and having a lot of fun with Wanted Dead. It's far from having a modern game design. Definitely feels old school. Definitely feels low budget, as well. Once I finish the game, I'll actually be able to put a score to it.

The action game fans I know love it, but I hear it crashes a lot. I've also seen lots of Devil's Third comparisons but as a positive.

I haven't had much time with it yet, but have it installed on PC. Hoping I enjoy it so I can buy the PS5 LE. The music on Spotify is pretty great.

It's Devil's Third 2 but I'm enjoying my time with it. Once you unlock a few skills & learn the combat system, there is fun to be had here. Full price may be a bit much for many but when the game gets down to $25-$30 range, I think people will discover it and find value in the entertainment it provides.

The Devil's Third comparison is absolutely on point. Completed the game last night and had an absolute blast with it. It's the dumb fun I needed after Fire Emblem.

The Devil's Third comparison is absolutely on point. Completed the game last night and had an absolute blast with it. It's the dumb fun I needed after Fire Emblem.
Also despite Devil's Third framerate issues. I really enjoyed the game. It was actually one of my top 10 favorite games of 2015. You can tell that they got a lot of inspiration from Metal Gear Solid( not gameplay wise), with the whole espionage storyline, the character designs, and even the ending was similar. Devil's Third wasn't a bad game from a game design perspective. It's poor performance is what mostly hurt it. As it would drop down to the single digits at times. But it was still a blast to play.

Wanted Dead has no where near the performance issues that Devil's Third had. I been having a blast with Wanted Dead so far. Despite some of its flaws. It has that true video game feeling. Doesn't take itself seriously and just about having a good fun time. That feeling is missing from a lot of modern games that come out nowadays.

At full price it seems hard for me to swallow. At budget price, I'd probably jump on. Premium and grindhouse don't really go together

Ok I just finally finished Wanted: Dead at around 13 hours. I really enjoyed every moment of this game. It was a blast to play. If people go in with the mindset of comparing this game to a AAA game, then they're setting themselves up for disappointment. As this game has no where near the production value of a AAA title. I always found that weird, that some people would act as if smaller budget AA titles should be equally viewed to the bigger budget AAA titles. But acknowledge indie titles for being smaller projects and don't compare to AAA projects.

What I said in my early impressions still stand. As this game is far from perfect, but it's an adrenaline rush of pure fun. No open world. No hundreds of side quest. No hundreds of points of interest(locations, treasures, objectives, etc.) on the map. No character customizations. No microtransactions. Just a pure single player high octane action game. I don't get some of the reviews complaining about the game difficulty being frustrating. As I played through on normal and didn't have a problem. It makes me wonder, how some of the journalists played through the game. Cause just button mashing, is not going to get you far. As the game is designed for you to fight defensively as well by using blocking, evading, and parrying. Which can be further enhance through the skill tree. It's a must against elite enemies and bosses. Also for me personally a big plus, is that you can fill your entire skill tree in one playthrough. I hate it in games, when you're not given enough skill points/currency to fill out all your skills by the time you're around the final parts of the game and have to do it in a new game plus and more than one playthrough. As I don't often do repeat plays.

This game was addicting and I just couldn't stop playing. But here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
-Fluid controls and melee combat
-Fast paced arcade style action
-Unique character designs
-Different fun mini games
-Over the top Japanese anime stylized game presentation
-Challenging gameplay
-Good music

Cons:
-Under developed 3rd person shooter mechanics
-Akward camera angles at times
- low quality weapon sound effects

It has to be said again, that Wanted Dead has a very old school feel to it and it's a low budget game. But it's a really fun game with a special charm to its over the top design. I give it a 8/10.

Back
Top Bottom