• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion US Army creates single vaccine effective against all COVID, SARS Variants

VHS

Be kind, rewind.
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him/His

Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that protects people from COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as from previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide.

Walter Reed’s Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine, or SpFN, completed animal trials earlier this year with positive results. Phase 1 of human trials, which tested the vaccine against Omicron and the other variants, wrapped up this month, again with positive results that are undergoing final review, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch, said in an exclusive interview with Defense One.

The vaccine’s human trials took longer than expected, he said, because the lab needed to test the vaccine on subjects who had neither been vaccinated nor previously infected with COVID. The rapid spread of the Delta and Omicron variants made that difficult.

“With Omicron, there's no way really to escape this virus. You're not going to be able to avoid it. So I think pretty soon either the whole world will be vaccinated or have been infected,” Modjarrad said.

“We decided to take a look at the long game rather than just only focusing on the original emergence of SARS, and instead understand that viruses mutate, there will be variants that emerge, future viruses that may emerge in terms of new species. Our platform and approach will equip people to be prepared for that.”

What's confusing about it?
About the already being vaxxed? Just wondering if you can still safely take this if you've already been jabbed a number of times. You'd obviously want the best protection possible. The former? Just never pegged the US Army being top tier medical scientists who all of the sudden can make vaccines, but what do I know (not much). :p

The fuck? Is this believable? What about those of us who've had any amount of the vaccines by now? Getting my booster on the 29th.
Yes, going at least by the method they describe. The delivering nanoparticle would have 26 variations of known + probable coronaviruses spikes. At that point, it would be ineffective only if the spike of the virus is waaay to different to your usual coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2 or not. So it is a good step forward, both on the fight against SARS-CoV-2, and influenza. Since the mechanism could be used to finally do a universal Influenza vaccine, and not have to update every year for the expected variants.

For those already vaccinated, trials are just about to begin. So it is unknown how we would react to pancoronavirus vaccine. However, considering how trials on that are just beginning, then they need to work the data, and follow the FDA process, get your booster now. Even with this being the Army, we would be looking at a mid-2022 arrival, at best. So it is better to boost now, than wait till then.

About the already being vaxxed? Just wondering if you can still safely take this if you've already been jabbed a number of times. You'd obviously want the best protection possible. The former? Just never pegged the US Army being top tier medical scientists who all of the sudden can make vaccines, but what do I know (not much). :p
I'm not intending this to sound jingoistic or anything, but the US Army is exactly who I would expect to be on the forefront on this kind of thing. All the funds anyone could ask for, a need to keep its members healthy, possibly the most robust logistical support of any organization out there, and military technology generally being at the bleeding edge. Seems like they have the resources, incentive, and influence to do exactly this kind of thing.

Yes, going at least by the method they describe. The delivering nanoparticle would have 26 variations of known + probable coronaviruses spikes. At that point, it would be ineffective only if the spike of the virus is waaay to different to your usual coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2 or not. So it is a good step forward, both on the fight against SARS-CoV-2, and influenza. Since the mechanism could be used to finally do a universal Influenza vaccine, and not have to update every year for the expected variants.

For those already vaccinated, trials are just about to begin. So it is unknown how we would react to pancoronavirus vaccine. However, considering how trials on that are just beginning, then they need to work the data, and follow the FDA process, get your booster now. Even with this being the Army, we would be looking at a mid-2022 arrival, at best. So it is better to boost now, than wait till then.
Hopefully it all pans out for the better. The further progress on the vaccines and whatnot, the faster we can get out of this fuck we're all in.
I'm not intending this to sound jingoistic or anything, but the US Army is exactly who I would expect to be on the forefront on this kind of thing. All the funds anyone could ask for, a need to keep its members healthy, possibly the most robust logistical support of any organization out there, and military technology generally being at the bleeding edge. Seems like they have the resources, incentive, and influence to do exactly this kind of thing.
I see what you mean. The more you know! Thanks! :)

Not necessarily. They have funds, but a lot of army health professionals tend to be substandard. The funds are more for giving people pay days and keeping budgets high more than anything else, look at the planes they make.

SillyBlondDuckbillcat-max-1mb.gif

Sounds to good to be true, but as someone who's city just basically went on lockdown again, I fucking hope it's true.

Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Where is the catch?
The catch is this is only in phase 1, it'll be tough to get through phase 2 and 3. Especially considering it'll need to be tested on both vaccinated people and unvaccinated people, the latter of which will be difficult to find and test this on.

But if it does make it through I don't think there will really be a catch.

The catch is this is only in phase 1, it'll be tough to get through phase 2 and 3. Especially considering it'll need to be tested on both vaccinated people and unvaccinated people, the latter of which will be difficult to find and test this on.

Well if you haven't waxed by now you are basically a fanatical anti laxer. So that could definitely be a problem.

Well if you haven't waxed by now you are basically a fanatical anti laxer. So that could definitely be a problem.
Yep.

Though on the other hand some of those people are pretty "pro army" so maybe hearing it's from the army will convince them.

Not really, there are plenty of countries that have't received enough vaccines to get even a partial rollout done.

Back
Top Bottom