• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Until Then | Review Thread

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
Until-Then-Key-Art_1080_logo.jpg

Niche Gamer (10/10)
There's a lot I could nitpick about Until Then. The minigalesn are a bit weird or unresponsive depending in your control scheme. Heck, sometimes the game itself is unresponsive if you're trying to play on mouse and keyboard but you have controller plugged in. They're worth mentioning, just for the thoroughness of the review, but frankly: I don't care. Until Then made me cry multiple times. Some lines hit me like a ton of bricks and buried me under the weight of their emotional isignificance. The game allows you to continue after the end and even expedites things a bit. After your first loop, you're going to want to go back. Remember, "you can always begin again, you just have ti find that spark".

MonsterVine (4.5/5)
Until Then isn’t the best narrative adventure game I’ve played but it’s definitely one I’ll remember for a long time. Don’t sleep on Until Then, it’s a worthwhile experience.

Game8 (88/100)
Until Then isn't just about celebrating Filipino culture, despite what some headlines might say. While it doesexcel in its cultural representation, what really sets it apart is its gripping story that keeps you guessing from start to finish. It delivers a cinematic experience with beautiful art and memorable characters that leave a lasting impression, making it more than just a game-it's an unforgettable journey.

Eurogamer (4/5)
Overall, Until Then manages to weave a moving coming-of-age story, all while putting Filipino culture front and centre. Though some subplots are meandering at first and minigames are relatively simple, you're pulled in nonetheless thanks to its engaging use of in-game social network mechanics, the deepening bonds among characters, and the astounding late-game reveals. And all of it in search of that spark that we need in order to carry on.

Push Square (8/10)
In the end, Until Then is a bit like a pixelated Life Is Strange. And like the best Life Is Strange games, it strikes a near-perfect balance between the mundanity of every day life and the joyous and devastating moments that occasionally perforate that normality.

Slant Magazine (3.5/5)
The visuals are a standout in this regard too. For one, the graphic a friend makes in honor of a “date” you went on with a new classmate is so overblown (complete with doves) that it would look right at home memorializing someone’s tragically premature death. These jokes are funny, but they’re also emblematic of the way in which these kids—all of whom have their own deeply felt emotional baggage—ultimately lift each other up. It reflects a genuine and kind-hearted rejection of the kind of cynicism that’s far too often romanticized in other teen dramas.

EIP GAMING (7.8/10)
Though the game gets lost from its core story and themes at times, that core story and those themes are so powerful that it is more than made up for. In combination with stellar art, music, and writing, Until Then is a must-play for patient gamers in the mood for something emotionally gutting. Though, you will have to put up with some boring distractions.

Last edited:
Bit of a broad stroke so far but nevertheless, very excited to come home and experience something that I’m certain I will love.

Bit of a broad stroke so far but nevertheless, very excited to come home and experience something that I’m certain I will love.
I read all those reviews, the general sentiment seems to be that the emotional core of the game is phenomenal, but the story is hindered by long moments of Sci-Fi mumbo jumbo.

I read all those reviews, the general sentiment seems to be that the emotional core of the game is phenomenal, but the story is hindered by long moments of Sci-Fi mumbo jumbo.

I’m kinda down on mumbo-jumbo.

This will be awesome.

I’m kinda down on mumbo-jumbo.
Heck yeah. I might enjoy it more with the sci-fi mumbo-jumbo.

Now I honestly don't expect this to have storytelling as strong as games like A Space For The Unbound or Unpacking, but I do want to support games that celebrate my culture. I just, uhhh, don't know when I'll get around to actually playing it.

Back
Top Bottom