• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Underrated Sequels?

big lantern ghost

please stand by
Pronouns
he/him
What sequel / follow-up to a game do you feel never got its due?

5Hra3bI.jpg

For me, Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number comes immediately to mind. It resembles a sort of evil twin version of the original; the perspective, visuals, and essential gameplay are the same. You also steadily unlock more combat options and passive abilities as you go in a similar fashion. Where the sequel diverges is in its map design, tailored exclusively to make free-style gunplay way more difficult (but still very possible) compared to the original.

Windows, for example, are extremely prevalent in the sequel. In a game where enemies can fire through glass and any hit kills you, windows are a major nuisance. This is often used alongside larger map sizes, with enemies outside of your field of vision often. Enemy patrols are also drastically scaled up from the original, with sentries criss-crossing in ways that makes staying unnoticed tough. You have no choice but to take chances and dive headlong into things.

S84LLjW.jpg

Unlike a lot of sequels, it doesn’t spend a decent chunk of its runtime building you back up again; it assumes that you’re already pretty good at Hotline Miami and goes from there in the aforementioned ways and beyond. One particular stand-out in this regard is the use of elevators; more than once, Wrong Number will start a new floor by your elevator opening onto a room with several enemies like, right there. Even if you’re not making any mistakes, the game makes sure to force you into that sort of panic situation.

It’s Hotline Miami but nastier, which feels very on brand for the series!

I also remember the soundtrack being characterized as coming up short compared to the original. Personally, I love it! It’s a little more low-key than the original’s, but I don’t think that’s a negative. Here are a few samples:

Finally, Wrong Number has one of my favourite ending sequences to a game…ever.

A full-blown hallucinogenic massacre, followed by the nuclear destruction of the known world. Also, there’s a bear! What’s not to love?

Anyhow, that’s my answer! What’s yours?

I think Sonic Rush Adventure is just as good as the original but is never talked about. I even liked Marine, how’s that for an opinion

I feel like a lot of people never aknowleged Waverace:BS as the better waverace... mostly because NST made it instead of EAD.

I honestly think it's still the best arcade racer ever made.

People will call me crazy for this but Super Mario Maker 2 never got the credit it was due to the lack of costumes and the botched online. It blows the original out of the water in almost every aspect: Slopes, 3D World style, single player story mode, world maker, SMB2 mushroom, Link, etc. Even the much maligned online was really super fun if you played it with friends that had a decent internet.

Sadly there's still a weird subset of people that insist that the game is worse than the original or that the game flopped, and the game faded from relevancy pretty quickly due to a very stretched out update cycle that dropped huge amounts of content at an infrequent pace. Hopefully we get Mario Maker 3 someday, or maybe something like a Zelda maker. But as it stands I still think Super Mario Maker 2 was as great of a follow up as you could ask for.

Fossil Fighters: Champions. It's a huge step up from the first game in nearly every way, but I never see people acknowledging it!
Though I guess they'd have to acknowledge Fossil Fighters first...

People will call me crazy for this but Super Mario Maker 2 never got the credit it was due to the lack of costumes and the botched online. It blows the original out of the water in almost every aspect: Slopes, 3D World style, single player story mode, world maker, SMB2 mushroom, Link, etc. Even the much maligned online was really super fun if you played it with friends that had a decent internet.

Sadly there's still a weird subset of people that insist that the game is worse than the original or that the game flopped, and the game faded from relevancy pretty quickly due to a very stretched out update cycle that dropped huge amounts of content at an infrequent pace. Hopefully we get Mario Maker 3 someday, or maybe something like a Zelda maker. But as it stands I still think Super Mario Maker 2 was as great of a follow up as you could ask for.
Mario Maker 2 is one of my favorite and most played Switch games. I never made a single level but I got dozens of hours out of the ones being made in it. I do miss the costumes but I get why they were cut.

Banjo-Tooie tends to get written off as just another symptom of "Rare's decline" or their tendency towards excess in the late N64 era; when in reality it's a really ambitious and sophisticated game from the same designer as B-K and DKC2, and arguably the first 3D Metroidvania. To this day I don't know if there's ever been another 3D platformer as ambitiously designed as Banjo-Tooie. Even the biggest Mario games tend to maintain a certain simplicity, since it's Mario and all.

I get why its reception is mixed, it's an unusually direct sequel that's also designed nothing like the first game, to the point where practically every other collectathon that came out after Banjo was more like Banjo-Kazooie than Tooie was. It's really easy to end up wasting your time with a lot of running back and forth, and trying to play it like the original game simply doesn't work. In hindsight it may have been a mistake to allow the first world to be almost entirely completed on the first visit. Presenting an instant contrast rather than easing a returning player into what makes Tooie different might have been the better move, because it's just that different.

And it's definitely much more flawed than the first game. The increased scale of the game world comes off mainly as a time waster because they didn't compensate by making Banjo faster or anything, the original version ran poorly even by N64 standards, notes are weirdly irrelevant in the level design when these worlds really could have used them as a guide to familiarize yourself with the layout on your initial visit, and the game could also really use a map because there's just too many worlds that require you to keep track of where ten different cave entrances lead. Grunty Industries is basically a Zelda dungeon, and that's one of the easier ones to navigate. It is a very demanding game to play. It's kind of like Majora's Mask, except the time wasted through poor planning is not an intentional game mechanic, instead you just never get anything done if you aren't able to remember how things connect and what this or that change to the world or new ability means for your progress elsewhere.

But it's also kind of brilliant? Nobody else has ever even attempted the interconnected world and massively compounding nature of the tasks, where a seemingly innocous action has a cascading influence over the rest of the game. Canary Mary can still get bent though.

I did really enjoy Hotline Miami 2.

My answer would be Dragon Quest Builders 2. The first one had you working on one town per chapter, but DQB2 fixes that up, so you’re always working on your own town too, bringing new materials and blueprints home from adventures. The first one was really good but the second is just stunning, it’s so rewarding.

I'm one of those people that uses terms like "underrated" pretty liberally.

It definitely wasn't underrated at the time by critics and casual players, but I'd say Halo Reach counts here? It's definitely the 3rd best Halo game at the very least, but it's often noted as the beginning of Halo's decline and even though just how bad the recent games have gotten has made it more beloved in hindsight, it's still often used to show the problems with the franchise originated from Bungie (mostly competitively and for lore).

I haven't played them yet, but I'll probably say Silent Hill 3 and 4 whenever I get around to them. It's funny how Silent Hill as a franchise manages to always have one singular focus in the cultural mindset at any given time. A few years ago it was P.T. despite not seeming like it has much SH DNA, and now it's a focus on 2 which creates a perception that it's the only beloved one. To be clear 3 and 4 (and 1, but I've played that) still definitely have their fans, but they're still not considered necessary playing for everyone like 2, which I'm thinking I won't agree with once I get to them.

I'll say Code Veronica and RE0 kind of belong here too. I like them more than OG RE3, which feels clumsy as shit. They both have a lot of problems but they are more down to taking the genre to its extremes rather than trying to retrofit an action game onto a tank control horror game.

I put Metroid Prime 2 right up there with Prime 1, some days even prefer it. It’s a top 5 game of all time for me.

The normally controversial elements like the Dark World and Beam Ammo work in the game’s favor imo, it’s absolutely dripping with a melancholy and oppressive atmosphere that the series still hasn’t matched since, its unique setting stands out in a series that tends to reuse settings/characters a lot, it’s bosses are a massive step up over Prime 1, it’s level design is brilliantly complex.

It’s an iterative sequel to a niche series that released late in the life of a underperforming console so I feel it’s often swept under the rug, but it deserves to be in the conversation among Nintendo’s best games of all time personally.

You all those times people say the second game is better than the third? I usually like the third more.
I can see that, though there are still a lot of third entries that are the fan favorite. Sonic 3K, SMB3, MGS3, Castlevania 3 to name a few. I think a lot of times though 3 is the favorite when 2 did something experimental that split the fanbase, rather than an iterative, straightforward sequel (which often puts 3 in an awkward spot trying to one up 2). Sonic 3K benefits from having by far the biggest scope of the Genesis games when combined although I’m sure 2 vs 3 without Knuckles would be more contentious.

Oddly enough, depending on the region, the SMB series can be seen as following both examples lol

For my answer, I'm gonna say Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair and F-Zero Climax.
As someone who loves Banjo-Tooie and to a lesser degree, Yooka-Laylee (I may have weird tastes in collectathons I realize), people just wrote off Impossible Lair as a DKC-like that would be disappointing to a lot of people just like Yooka-Laylee was to Banjo. That is absolutely not the case, it's an excellent platformer that has fantastic level design, controls, music, everything. I like it more than some of the DKC games, it's up there right behind 2 and Tropical Freeze personally.

F-Zero Climax on the other hand gets overlooked for being an iterative sequel to GP Legend, a tie in to an anime people didn't care about, and the third F-Zero game on GBA, but I think just describing it as iterative is doing it a disservice. It's spritework is absolutely gorgeous, some of the best on the GBA which is saying something, and has a major overhaul to controls to somehow get INSANE amounts of precision out of a dpad. It's seriously one of the best racing games ever made. It's also way faster to the point where you can see the Mode-7 start to break if you go fast enough, yet it's amazing controls means that you CAN control that speed. It's amazing, and is only confirmed to have sold ~5000 copies in it's first 3 days due to being japan exclusive, which at the very least means it performed better than Everybody 1-2 Switch over there. If it ever comes to GBA online, I would heavily recommend playing it, even if you have to download the JP version of the app.

I think Sonic Rush Adventure is just as good as the original but is never talked about. I even liked Marine, how’s that for an opinion
I think people just get turned off by the Phantom Hourglass-esque sailing getting in the way of levels honestly, which is a shame cause the levels are good, bosses are way better and the sailing is fine. I don't think the soundtrack gets enough love, people just pay attention to the Rush soundtrack cause it's Hideki Naganuma (and for good reason), but Ohtani's work on Rush Adventure gets the same vibe and is just about as great.

Oh also another underrated "sequel" (I view it more as a spinoff honestly) is Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, genuinely really cool game with a fantastic vehicle editor and great challenges that's only real flaws are "why is this a Banjo game" and the character design. Probably would have gone over better as a Blast Corps game.

Bioshock 2 is really quite good and while the story isn't as novel as the first game and the setting isn't as impressive anymore on a second visit either, the gameplay improvements more than make up for it. Solid game.

Bioshock 2 is really quite good and while the story isn't as novel as the first game and the setting isn't as impressive anymore on a second visit either, the gameplay improvements more than make up for it. Solid game.
Minerva’s Den might be the best BioShock story so it has that going for it too

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes rules. and I fervently agree about Mario Maker 2 — what a delight!

not sure if Color Splash counts as a sequel, but it sure as hell is underrated

I’ve gotta dig for more examples, but I know I have more somewhere…

I can see that, though there are still a lot of third entries that are the fan favorite. Sonic 3K, SMB3, MGS3, Castlevania 3 to name a few. I think a lot of times though 3 is the favorite when 2 did something experimental that split the fanbase, rather than an iterative, straightforward sequel (which often puts 3 in an awkward spot trying to one up 2). Sonic 3K benefits from having by far the biggest scope of the Genesis games when combined although I’m sure 2 vs 3 without Knuckles would be more contentious.

Oddly enough, depending on the region, the SMB series can be seen as following both examples lol
It seems like the structure of trilogies tends to be defined by which entry is the odd one out. If 2 is a proper successor to the first, it's usually the peak and the third game will struggle to justify itself, which is where the trope of gimmicky third entries comes from. If 2 is a significant enough departure or evolution though, then 3 is either the real sequel to the first game or the first is left as the odd one out and 3 is a proper successor to 2. The odd one out is usually considered the worst entry, but that title could also go to the one that got iterated on and was kind of overshadowed as a result.

1 is the outlier: Spyro the Dragon, Classic Sonic
2 is the outlier: NES Castlevania, I think Devil May Cry would be a good example? Never played those
3 is the outlier: Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime

This also reminds me of another answer of mine, Sly 3. I can't really get a good read on which is considered the best one by consensus, but it's not 3. It's better than the second game in every way. Hub worlds are easier to get around in and not so dark you can't see where you're going, the missions are so much more involved and interesting, and the writing has gotten genuinely good. Yes, there's less of a focus on Sly's platforming abilities, but the whole variety pack platformer thing that tends to afflict third entries for once makes sense in context as a way to carry out the playable heist movie concept to its fullest extent. And the whole "jump and press the circle button" thing was always a fairly automated way to do platforming anyway, I just don't see the raw platforming gameplay as what makes the series appealing, and it was always being made to share the spotlight with a lot of other stuff of varying quality from the very beginning. I'd take most anything in Sly 3's grab bag over any of Sly 1's minigame levels any day.

Nailed it with Hotline Miami 2. It’s a shame that the level design discourse stuck because I think it’s a much stronger game in terms of music, plot, presentation, variety, and a much easier to appreciate scoring system. But every time it comes up people mention the level design and it’s so regurgitated to the point I wonder how many played the game or if it’s honest. I felt especially bad for Dennaton in their NoClip special when they said they weren’t sure if it paid off to make an iterative sequel. But I say it paid off in spades.

Love both titles to death, was just spinning the vinyls earlier today.

Bonus: Metroid Prime Echoes is the best in the trilogy

I put Metroid Prime 2 right up there with Prime 1, some days even prefer it. It’s a top 5 game of all time for me.

The normally controversial elements like the Dark World and Beam Ammo work in the game’s favor imo, it’s absolutely dripping with a melancholy and oppressive atmosphere that the series still hasn’t matched since, its unique setting stands out in a series that tends to reuse settings/characters a lot, it’s bosses are a massive step up over Prime 1, it’s level design is brilliantly complex.

It’s an iterative sequel to a niche series that released late in the life of a underperforming console so I feel it’s often swept under the rug, but it deserves to be in the conversation among Nintendo’s best games of all time personally.
Wholehearted +1 to this. It really felt like a proper sequel to a classic with improvements in all the right areas, especially with the boss fights. I absolutely love the fight against Quadraxis.

Super Mario Sunshine. Not sure if underrated is the right word since it was acclaimed when it came out but does get its fair share of shit for a lack of polish and rushed development. That said, I still don't really care all that much about the things it does wrong.

I would like it if the game was perfect sure, but it nailed core aspects of Mario's movement system that it took arguably until Odyssey for to be matched and other 3D platformers haven't even come close. It's a game that you get out of what you put in. If you approach it like a standard Mario game then the experience will be somewhat frustrating, but after mastering the movement, even the most infamous shines in the game were a satisfying breeze to complete. No issues returning to it again and again.

Similarly, I feel about Lost Levels AKA the real SMB2. It's a fantastic game and it pulls no punches. I have a strong preference for the physics and flow of SMB1, and the pure platforming focus of that title over most 2D SMB games but it's a bit too easy for me after playing it too many times.

Lost Levels is there to meet that need for a more challenging game and it's excellent, the long-held belief that it's just a cheap rom hack couldn't be further from the truth, in fact, the title does a lot to help the player and it is fair for 99% of the duration but it has no qualms with being hard. And the devs knew exactly what it was and made no effort to lie about it. It was marketed for people who mastered the original game in its entirety. I used to fall on the side that it is just a cheap and poorly designed cash grab but after being in the right mindset and giving it a fair shake it turned out to be one of the best entries in the series. I Vastly prefer it to the US SMB2.

I'll second Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. Feels like people wrote off the series as a whole when the first game didn't perfectly capture that feeling of playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time when you were 8, which bites because Impossible Lair is such a step-up from Playtonic's first outing. It goes toe-to-toe with Tropical Freeze imo, and it kinda even does a ton of things that Mario Wonder ended up doing 4 years later, just with a more DKC-accented style to it. TBH, looking at the direction DKC3 was already headed, Impossible Lair feels like the DKC4 that Rare would have made if they'd kept working on the series

I also just wrapped up a replay of Batman Arkham Origins and kinda want to go to bat (sorry about the pun) for it. It gets flack for being iterative and not being done by the "real" Arkham developers, Rocksteady. But I kinda love the "let's take the assets/mechanics we already have, hand them to another studio, and get another game out of them" approach to sequels, and I enjoyed the more grounded/focused story that Origins had to tell. It's not perfect (for instance I wish the crime scene detective segments were more at the forefront and not mostly relegated to side-missions, and I'm not a fan of the bait-and-switch where the Black Mask/assassin plot swerves into another Joker story, but overall it's a good time and it's weird how WB/Rocksteady have just ignored it in subsequent collections/rereleases

Lastly, is it weird to say Mario Land 2? Like, it's wild how they went from Mario Land, a very compromised take on Super Mario Bros, to Mario Land 2, an only-slightly compromised take on Super Mario World, in just 3 years on the same hardware. It has some of my favorite (and most unique) worlds in 2D Mario, an open-ended "go to any world in any order" structure that blew my mind as a kid, and a sense of personality that imo didn't really show up again until Wonder. Yet it doesn't ever really get heralded as one of the great 2D Marios; even SML1 got at least a nod with MM2's Superball Flower, while Land 2 got nada

Fable 2.

An amazing sequel to a middling game.
Wait, has the tide turned where this is no longer popular sentiment? I always thought 1 was considered disappointing, 2 was a revelation, and 3 was a soul-crushing finale.

Did Hard 2

Some of these choices are like the cult classics or the better regarded games, lol.

For games, I will say Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. Gets flack for the babies, but I thought it made the game more interesting. Upping the commands to 4 face buttons instead of 2 game some interesting wrinkles to puzzle solving or battles. Sure, Inside story was better (maybe the best DS game), but this one was really good and gets overshadowed.

Another one - Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Probably hurt by the reception of its predecessor and it’s lower budget, but structurally this may be my favorite FF game of the past 15 years.

The OST is awesome and extremely unique, the whole game has its own really quirky vibe, the battle system from XIII is allowed to breathe more, there’s actual towns and more open levels, the fragments made for a fun collectathon.

Square still hasn’t figured out how to properly convey scale In modern FF like they used to, either compromising with linear corridors, menu selection, or in XV’s case, a bland open world. But it actually works in XIII-2’s favor - diving into little pockets of time from the abstract menu contributes to the ephemeral feel of the game and how you’re dipping into places you’re not supposed to be.

Neo The World Ends With You. Game is fantastic and failed miserably at sales. Far from being my favorite game of all time but it's the only game I can say it feels like it was specifically made for me.

Octopath Traveler II. This game is waaaaay more than "Octopath Traveler but more" really feel like 2 steps forward in every single aspect. Also Bravely Default II is underappreciated I think.

Last edited:
Bravely Default II is a big one for me. I feel like the game came and went and you pretty much never see mention of it anymore, but I think it's a ton of fun. Personally, as far as gameplay goes, I far prefer it to Bravely Default and Bravely Second. In particular, the change from party/round-based turns to individual character turns was something I personally liked a lot. I found it so easy to burn out selecting everyone's actions in the party-based turns, even with the shortcuts the game affords you. Bravely Default II I just enjoyed playing all the way through.

Another one - Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Probably hurt by the reception of its predecessor and it’s lower budget, but structurally this may be my favorite FF game of the past 15 years.

The OST is awesome and extremely unique, the whole game has its own really quirky vibe, the battle system from XIII is allowed to breathe more, there’s actual towns and more open levels, the fragments made for a fun collectathon.
Honestly think this is probably the most fun Final Fantasy game I've ever played. I'm not a fan of the story (I actually thought XIII's story was fine and I've always found it frustrating they went in such a pointlessly bizarre direction with the story in XIII-2 when there are a million normal sequel directions they could've went considering how vast and unknown Gran Pulse was), but it's a lot of fun actually doing pretty much everything in that game and the battle system is a great evolution of the one in XIII. The third monster party member was absolutely perfect for the game.

Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts is my pick. Yeah its not a platformer, its a kick ass vehicle builder that in some ways felt like it ran so that tears of the kingdom could fly. And I like it more than tooie

For the sake of not repeating anyone (my personal biggest agreement is with @Sorbete on NEO: The World Ends With You), I'm gunna go Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. I think Aria gets most of the love because it is a wonderful game and likely the peak of the series at that point, but Dawn is just so incredibly polished. Loved it.

My other pick is Persona 5: Strikers. I love when a musou is used in clever ways within a franchise and I had such a blast with P5:S. Felt like the best way to revisit that cast without retreading on Royal.

Well, it didn't used to be this way, but Pikmin 2 is pretty underrated these days!

I'm not sure if they're actually underrated, but the later parts of the FFCC subseries had some good games.

I think the original is the most famous and probably my favorite, and the first sequel on DS didn't do much for me. (Though it did try to have a stronger narrative, so I give them props for that.) Yet, that second sequel on DS that also released on Wii captured some of that feeling of the GameCube original somehow. After bouncing off the first DS game, I made it almost to the end of Echoes of Time. My increase in enjoyment came out of nowhere, given it's clearly iterating on the groundwork laid by Rings of Fate. It sort of reminds me of how Kirby: Planet Robobot swept me off my feet after Triple Deluxe was only alright to me, but I don't think anyone considers Robobot underrated. I think the weird handling of the Wii version of Echoes of Time didn't help the game at all. Plus, the FFCC brand was aging and had yet to deliver a knockout success. However, Echoes of Time on DS is the game I'd recommend to someone who loved the original FFCC but didn't continue with the franchise.

Lastly, The Crystal Bearers was actually pretty fun! I remember thinking it felt like the kind of game I wasn't sure Square Enix or other big publishers were still making, and I don't know that Square Enix has made something like it since. I'm not sure the game really fits into the rest of the FFCC series, but it's a good time.

Last edited:
While it isn't in the same sky high tier as the first two games, Bayonetta 3 is still a good game.
The graphics may be rough, and not all of its multitude of ideas are winners, but the over the top action, outrageous sense of style, and the leading lady herself are still phenomenal.

While it isn't in the same sky high tier as the first two games, Bayonetta 3 is still a good game.
The graphics may be rough, and not all of its multitude of ideas are winners, but the over the top action, outrageous sense of style, and the leading lady herself are still phenomenal.
Oh this is a good one, I’d actually put it above 2. Probably Nintendo’s most underrated Switch release. It’s a much more inspiring and bold sequel than 2 was and genuinely tries (and in many ways, succeeds) in pushing the genre forward whereas Bayo 2 (and DMCV actually) were pretty safe, and even then, you can see remnants of even bolder ideas that sadly had to be cut down for the final product.

I cherish the Best Action Game win being live-streamed at the game awards, one of the only moments of the game getting it’s deserved flowers after being mired in controversy on multiple fronts.

Not only a really underrated sequel, but an underrated game overall - and the one single game I’ve brought up in these threads since being on Era - is Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

People very, very rightfully criticize the story. It’s not very good. Not a single likable character, people mostly just yell at each other because reasons, and the ending is unwaveringly lame.

But oh my freaking lord of hell what a good game it is. The open world fits the Mirror’s Egde formula and movement set perfectly. A year and two years later, Breath of the Wild and Spider-Man proved the importance of traversal in an open world setting and how it can single-handedly lift a game up to never seen before levels. What good is a grand, vast world if you can’t have fun moving around in it?

And movement in Catalyst is in a class of its own. The controls are tight and the mechanics just clicks, (mostly down to the TREMENDOUS sound design) and just existing in Glass is a thrill. Seeing a spot in the distance and getting there - as is standard in an open world exploration loop - is gratifying in and of itself, and though the actual side activities doesn’t stretch much beyond time trial challenges and collectibles, it works for what it does.
It might not be enough to carry a full game: But that’s because it’s almost like the stellar open world is a side dish. The actual, linear main missions of Catalyst are fantastic all the way through if you ask me, giving you abilities and an expansive moveset to tackle Glass with in a set of tightly-paced and well-designed missions that takes you on one platforming thrill after another. I love Catalyst so much and I feel like more should do it as well.

For as excited as I was for that game, it just didn’t stick with me and make an impression on me the way 2 did. I beat it when it came out, but maybe I should run through that again. I think it just took so long to come out after the 2nd game that maybe it was impossible for it to live up to the expectations I had build over the years. That would be a game that would benefit well from a switch 2 resolution and framerate upgrade

Bravely Default II is a big one for me. I feel like the game came and went and you pretty much never see mention of it anymore, but I think it's a ton of fun. Personally, as far as gameplay goes, I far prefer it to Bravely Default and Bravely Second. In particular, the change from party/round-based turns to individual character turns was something I personally liked a lot. I found it so easy to burn out selecting everyone's actions in the party-based turns, even with the shortcuts the game affords you. Bravely Default II I just enjoyed playing all the way through.

Honestly think this is probably the most fun Final Fantasy game I've ever played. I'm not a fan of the story (I actually thought XIII's story was fine and I've always found it frustrating they went in such a pointlessly bizarre direction with the story in XIII-2 when there are a million normal sequel directions they could've went considering how vast and unknown Gran Pulse was), but it's a lot of fun actually doing pretty much everything in that game and the battle system is a great evolution of the one in XIII. The third monster party member was absolutely perfect for the game.
I own all the bravely games (1, and second on 3ds, and 2 on steam) but I haven’t actually started any of them yet. I keep seeing them stare at me from my shelf of 3ds games. Should I play them in order, or is there one game that is the best, im someone who has very minimal time to play jrpg’s these days : (

I own all the bravely games (1, and second on 3ds, and 2 on steam) but I haven’t actually started any of them yet. I keep seeing them stare at me from my shelf of 3ds games. Should I play them in order, or is there one game that is the best, im someone who has very minimal time to play jrpg’s these days : (
I think in general the original game is considered the best by most people, but personally I like 2 the most. You definitely don't have to play the others before playing 2. It's completely separate from 1 and Second. Second has stuff from 1 in it, though I don't really think you'd have to play them in order but it's been a while.

I know people are not fans of it but I really enjoyed Infamous Second Son. Just from a gameplay standpoint, I find it to be a much funner and more replayable superhero game than Spiderman

Yo-kai Watch 3 is super underrated, and blows the first two games out of the water as far as content goes. More in-depth combat; fleshed out sub-game Busters T; 752 yokai to collect/record; 200+ hours of content...what's not to love?

The game only sold 34,000 copies in the west, which is insane because I found it a lot more enjoyable and addictive than any recent Pokemon game.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom