• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News UK retailer Game to stop selling physical games and hardware [update: Game denies this]

PixelKnight

Observing the process
Pronouns
He/Him

Sources close to the retail store tell Gfinity that gaming hardware and software will only be available on a pre-order basis. This means that new releases — such as Indiana Jones and The Great Circle or DOOM: The Dark Ages — must be purchased before release.

Similar to current pre-orders at GAME, gamers will be able to have their new releases shipped to the store or sent to their homes for an extra delivery fee. It’s unsure whether or not midnight console launches — such as for the upcoming Nintendo Switch 2 or the rumored PS5 Pro — will still take place at the store.

GAME has been in a tricky spot following its acquisition by Sports Direct parent company Frasers Group. Alongside merging Sports Direct and GAME, the once-iconic video game shop has moved further into the sale of board games, trading cards, toys and plushies.

Also picked up by NintendoLife and Eurogamer now. Not surprising at all really. They are almost wall to wall merch rather than games these days, the merger with Sports Direct was the last nail in the coffin for them.

Update- Game provided a statement to Eurogamer denying this

Last edited:
I'd hardly even call them a gaming retailer these days. More of a "geeky tat" shop.

Still sad to see. The heady days of Game and Gamestation are long gone.

I'd hardly even call them a gaming retailer these days. More of a "geeky tat" shop.

Still sad to see. The heady days of Game and Gamestation are long gone.
I still remember when my home town had a Game, a Gamestation, an EB plus various other retailers all selling games, HMV, Virgin and so on. I used to like looking through the racks for bargains before their centralised pricing software made buying games on the high street just pointless compared to online retailers that just undercut them by anything up to £20 these days. At that point I only used them to buy hardware as it was rarely that much cheaper online and I liked the reassurance of having a physical store I could take a faulty console to and get sorted in the space of an hour. Essential in the Xbox 360 days :D

I don’t think I’ve bought anything from Game in at least 15 years at this point. It’s always empty when I walk past when it used to be rammed on a Saturday.

GAME was such a weird retailer. Unlike the US physical games market the UK one remains very competitive. Why in the world would I spend RRP which can be up to £70 in GAME when I can buy for £15+ cheaper on 365games or Shopto or the game collection or monster games or Currys with their discount codes or a dozen other places online. The fact that they charge £5 delivery on top of RRP is insane.

I'll miss their occasional not advertisied in-store sales on niche games they failed to sell though.

Suprised if they won't stock certain games during the Christmas period though? Seemed to be the only time of the year they actually managed to sell any games. Or is even FIFA, CoD, Mario, and Pokémon at Christmas not worth it for them now? Guess even clueless relatives of kids have moved onto Amazon and digital vouchers now.

Never liked the chain personally. Not sure it makes sense to have brick and mortar shops selling new games in 2024 anyway. But GAME was always expensive, and just not a nice place to visit.

Back
Top Bottom