• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Ubisoft - Why They're Hated | Company Man

A 12 minute video going over the reasons why Ubisoft is hated. As gamers, you should be nodding your head and saying "yep" to all the reasons.

I think most people won't know how Ubisoft started.

When it comes to their output I've always been sort of indifferent. I loved Far Cry 3 but never played the following entires and I know I'd like the recent Assassin's Creed games if I'd just start one.

I'm genuinely excited for Frontiers of Pandora though, and the upcoming AssCreed games sound very appealing with their settings.

The treatment of their employees has been shit.

That's a pretty good reason to hate the company, well, the higher ups in any case.

1:58 of this video - a bunch of slimy men in power.

They treat people like crap, really hope they work on that. I do enjoy their games however. To me a ubisoft game is like going to chillies, im not expecting a ground breaking meal, but I know it will be reliably good and enjoyable at least. The mtx in their recent titles are really gross, but I just chose to ignore them

Numbers 3, 4 and 5 are good reasons in my mind. The first two aren't reasons for me to hate them, but the latter three is enough for me to side eye them.

I like ubisoft games when they make good games, like ACOrigins, the new PoP or rayman.

But the ubi of the failed battle royales and online games... nope

Ubisofts games has become the epitome of generic games. But to me there isn’t that much difference between ubisofts games and the rest of the AAA lot of releases. The thing that sets some big games apart from being just as generic as Ubisofts games are strong direction, narrative or game design. Ubisofts games always feel completely lacking of any strong vision and feel designed by a committee of marketing managers rather than any visionary game designer.
Games like Red Dead redemption and God of war stand of because of their coherence and unitary vision.

Games like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima or Spider-Man on the other hand to me are just the same games as Ubisoft makes but executed with higher quality and feel more coherent.

It’s obviously the case that AAA development has become so enormously costly that there is every incentive to make a very safe product and also that development resources will be spread out geographically to a large extent. Both of these factors make imposing a strong unitary vision on a project challenging. Apart from Fromsoft, I can’t think of a single big non-first party developer who actually do that. Arguably Square with FFXVI but that’s close to being first party and presumably Sony has made a deal that mitigated risk for Square.

Edit: totally forgot about Capcom! The Japanese publishers does seem to have found their footing quite well in recent years after struggling to adjust and scale up their operations in the early PS4 gen.

I do think that Ubisoft are aware of their reputation and standing and are making some moves to mitigate. The 2D Prince of Persia to me looks really good and the new Star Wars game look intriguing as well. The summer show case from Ubisoft was to me at least the most promising from them in a long long time.

Ubisofts games has become the epitome of generic games. But to me there isn’t that much difference between ubisofts games and the rest of the AAA lot of releases. The thing that sets some big games apart from being just as generic as Ubisofts games are strong direction, narrative or game design. Ubisofts games always feel completely lacking of any strong vision and feel designed by a committee of marketing managers rather than any visionary game designer.
Games like Red Dead redemption and God of war stand of because of their coherence and unitary vision.

Games like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima or Spider-Man on the other hand to me are just the same games as Ubisoft makes but executed with higher quality and feel more coherent.

It’s obviously the case that AAA development has become so enormously costly that there is every incentive to make a very safe product and also that development resources will be spread out geographically to a large extent. Both of these factors make imposing a strong unitary vision on a project challenging. Apart from Fromsoft, I can’t think of a single big non-first party developer who actually do that. Arguably Square with FFXVI but that’s close to being first party and presumably Sony has made a deal that mitigated risk for Square.

Edit: totally forgot about Capcom! The Japanese publishers does seem to have found their footing quite well in recent years after struggling to adjust and scale up their operations in the early PS4 gen.

I do think that Ubisoft are aware of their reputation and standing and are making some moves to mitigate. The 2D Prince of Persia to me looks really good and the new Star Wars game look intriguing as well. The summer show case from Ubisoft was to me at least the most promising from them in a long long time.

The later Assassins Creed games feel more like a collection of quests than a coherent game so I agree with you. Its also a result of them going for games that can support iap, so they have to be longer and longer, which makes it hard to build something with a coherent design or narrative. Its very noticable in Syndicate. The Sony games are a lot shorter, and until Far Cry 6 that series escaped most of that feeling as well (for me).

All valid reasons, shitty big Western gaming company, surprise surprise.
However, they are much, much more likely to produce a game I'm interested in than the horrendous EA and Activision so (relatively) Vive La France.

Number one is the reason I don't like their games. Numbers 2-5 are the reason I don't like them as a company.

Back
Top Bottom