• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation Tragedy: Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2 will be 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 from PS Plus Extra on August 15th.

the original game pass removal

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

(official soundtrack for this thread)

Buried at the bottom of their latest monthly release post.
Leaving December 31
The following games are leaving the Game Pass library soon, so be sure to jump back in before they go! As always, remember to use your membership discount to save up to 20% on your purchase to keep these games in your library.
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2021 (Cloud and Console)
  • The Little Acre (Cloud and Console)
  • Yakuza 0 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 1 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
If you still somehow haven't played them yet, you really have no reason not to at this point. It's a legendary series, and are long enough that they should easily make your subscription worth it.

While it's not the first time the series was associated with a non-Sony Platform (The original versions of 1 & 2 were inexplicably ported to the Wii U in 2013.) it formed a notable partnership between SEGA & Microsoft, eventually culminating in Like A Dragon becoming a major launch title for the Xbox Series S/X.

You should also check out 3 through 6 once you're done with them, because i'd imagine it won't be long until they get taken off the collection too.

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2 are two of the best games I've played recently. Would definitely recommend people trying to play these while they can if they haven't already.

gonna have to grab these on a sale then since they’re the better console version on the current hardware

Lol them removing pes2021. Folks been clinging to it with how bare bones efootball is. Guess they're ripping the band-aid off, wonder if they'll patch at the same time.

This makes it easier for me to end my game pass sub lol, I had no reason to keep it now that I've finished the whole Yakuza series. I'll go ahead and buy 0 and K2 with the discount before they go though (hopefully they get further discounted on Boxing Day) so I have them forever.

Yakuza 0 is easily the best game ever made imo, so much content, such a great story, fantastic world, incredible music. Nothing else comes close for me. I was on a massive decline in the amount of gaming I was doing and the series just dragged me right on back in.

I never followed Game Pass news so I was surprised that games are removed from the service over time. I thought that once it was there it was there for good.

I never followed Game Pass news so I was surprised that games are removed from the service over time. I thought that once it was there it was there for good.

First party games, yes.

The rest? No guarantee how long. Surprised to see these are already leaving though. I was only ever interested in playing Like a Dragon so I guess I'll have to jump on that soon.

I stalled out due to combat sadly

I did the same with Kiwami 1. I was enjoying the plot and running around the city but the battles were too constant. I ended up dropping the difficulty down to easy and I was having a better time. But I did eventually burn out in the end.

I only just finally played through Yakuza 0 earlier this year.
It was probably my GOTY, such a fantastic game.

I ended up buying it as well shortly after, when both it and Kiwami had a steep discount a month or two ago.

I bounced off from Kiwami 2 after getting angry about forgetting to save after a long session. I should really find some time return to it.

Oh right, that can happen. If you haven’t tried it yet, play them people.

That's what I don't like about this business model. Same with movies on Netflix that have disappeared when you want to watch them...

This is why I'm hesitant to get an xbox/Gamepass. I don't know if and for how long a game will be on there, and I'm very slow with picking up games and finishing them, especially if it's on a big screen. And I'm not interested in 99% of the western games, I mostly play and am interested in Japanese games. So with the Yakuza games leaving the service there is less reason for me to subscribe.

Question: do games return to the service at one point or are they gone forever?

The Yakuza games haven't been on Gamepass for a long time, it's been like a year I think?

Tragedy indeed. Only had the chance to play 0 so far. Though I think I have the first Kiwami from PS+

I stalled out due to combat sadly
I remember when I was trying to get into Yakuza, I looked up combat guides and there was this video that was weirdly phrased in an almost defensive way. It basically started with the guy (paraphrasing here) saying stuff like "People say that Yakuza's combat is just button mashing and doesn't have much depth, BUT WHEN YOU LEARN HOW TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME YOU REALIZE HOW WRONG THAT IS, HOW MUCH NUANCE THERE IS, HOW MUCH HIDDEN DEPTH THERE IS."

~inserts to show that you can grab enemies and turn them around to the other direction to do something slightly different~

It definitely has unique combat, but I wouldn't say it's that rewarding overall. Can't blame you.

This is why I'm hesitant to get an xbox/Gamepass. I don't know if and for how long a game will be on there, and I'm very slow with picking up games and finishing them, especially if it's on a big screen. And I'm not interested in 99% of the western games, I mostly play and am interested in Japanese games. So with the Yakuza games leaving the service there is less reason for me to subscribe.

Question: do games return to the service at one point or are they gone forever?

The Yakuza games haven't been on Gamepass for a long time, it's been like a year I think?
That's fair, I've used GP a lot for just sampling games that look interesting. I try to buy the ones I really like anyway.

I think Yakuza 0 and Kiwami have been on there for at least 2 years. A lot of games hang around for about a year, sometimes only 6 months for some big games like RDR2 (if I remember right, it wasn't around for very long). Probably depends what kind of deal they have. They definitely don't tell you how long a game is available from the start, they only notify a couple of weeks before it leaves.

It's not common, but yes games do come back every once in a while.
You can also buy the games while they're on the service for a slight discount, so that's something at least. I bought Ninja Gaiden Black when they announced it was leaving the service, it hasn't been offered at a discount since so it was worth it.

Yakuza 0 has been on Gamepass since February 2020, Kiwami 1 since May 2020, and Kiwami 2 since July 2020. They stuck around longer than most games do.

They definitely don't tell you how long a game is available from the start, they only notify a couple of weeks before it leaves.
Now imagining GamePass players desperately trying to get through 3 Yakuza games in under three weeks. I enjoy Yakuza 0 a lot but I've been playing it on and off for ages now because it's not something I can binge and it's very content-rich - it's easy for me to get totally distracted by a mini game for most of a session.

I never think about this aspect of the service whenever I think about it as a plus that would draw me towards Xbox. I tend to bounce around games, shelve them to come back to, or take my time. I guess it would have value as a way to try things I might not otherwise pick up, or as a try-before-you-buy thing with the bonus of the discount.

That's fair, I've used GP a lot for just sampling games that look interesting. I try to buy the ones I really like anyway.

I think Yakuza 0 and Kiwami have been on there for at least 2 years. A lot of games hang around for about a year, sometimes only 6 months for some big games like RDR2 (if I remember right, it wasn't around for very long). Probably depends what kind of deal they have. They definitely don't tell you how long a game is available from the start, they only notify a couple of weeks before it leaves.

It's not common, but yes games do come back every once in a while.
You can also buy the games while they're on the service for a slight discount, so that's something at least. I bought Ninja Gaiden Black when they announced it was leaving the service, it hasn't been offered at a discount since so it was worth it.
2 years is much better, but for me I need all the time I can get. For comparison, I still have to beat the majority of my Switch backlog, despite putting in hundreds of hours into them for years. Also, if I'm not in the mood for a certain game or genre, I just can't get into it.

Buying the game seems like the perfect solution for someone like me, I also forgot about the BC games, which is another plus. But for most (current gen) games, I'd rather buy it on PC instead.

I remember when I was trying to get into Yakuza, I looked up combat guides and there was this video that was weirdly phrased in an almost defensive way. It basically started with the guy (paraphrasing here) saying stuff like "People say that Yakuza's combat is just button mashing and doesn't have much depth, BUT WHEN YOU LEARN HOW TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME YOU REALIZE HOW WRONG THAT IS, HOW MUCH NUANCE THERE IS, HOW MUCH HIDDEN DEPTH THERE IS."

~inserts to show that you can grab enemies and turn them around to the other direction to do something slightly different~

It definitely has unique combat, but I wouldn't say it's that rewarding overall. Can't blame you.
I have thumb fatigue issues, it’s not about approach sadly

Well, crap. Guess I'd better play Kiwami 2!

I've beat the others, but I like to take a break in between games.

BUT WHEN YOU LEARN HOW TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME YOU REALIZE HOW WRONG THAT IS, HOW MUCH NUANCE THERE IS, HOW MUCH HIDDEN DEPTH THERE IS."

Yakuza/Judgment are probably my favourite series (7 platinums and counting), but the combat is pretty basic. Once you get Tiger Drop (or equivalent), it becomes a parry sim. That’s not to say hitting people with bikes or activating QTEs isn’t super fun, but there is almost no depth, even on Legend difficulty.

But wow, devastated these are leaving Game Pass. I own them all physically and digitally, but it’s a series that deserves to be played by every gamer. They are just so much fun.

I was about to start like a dragon but this has me hesitant. I play on streaming so there's no way for me to continue yet if a title is removed. Sad.

I love Ryu Ga Gotoku so much. Back in the day I imported Kenzan and I hope for a translated remake one day.

First i've heard of this as well, but i do recall discussing this possibility about a year or two ago and the Game Pass evangelist straight up refused to believe it would happen.

Their idea of the service is you keep everything forever and only new games gets added.

First i've heard of this as well, but i do recall discussing this possibility about a year or two ago and the Game Pass evangelist straight up refused to believe it would happen.

Their idea of the service is you keep everything forever and only new games gets added.
Gamepass actually worked like that from the beginning. That's what I thought was annoying (but understandable) from the service. The Xbox blog always anounces what games lerave the service when they announce new Gamepass games: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/12/14/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-december-2021-wave-2/

Super shitty that they tell you this only 2 weeks ahead. Like how's someone going to rush these to the ending if he hasn't even started them?

It's a shame they are leaving, but I think they had a good run. If someone is interested in Yakuza 0 right now is in 5 dollars.

Also don’t Yakuza games go on sale a decent amount? They are (mostly) more than worth shelling out for.
Absolutely. In fact 0 is on sale for $4.99 at this very moment! Game Pass also does give you an extra 20% discount if you want to buy a game permanently. Making this perfect introduction to the franchise just $3.99 total.

All three games are currently on sale, costing about $11.98 total if you're subbed to Game Pass.
Sorry for bump the thread, but both Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are on sale right now

I am grateful that they were on the service at least. I was able to try 0 and i realized that yakuze just isn’t for me personally, but hopefully it grabbed a bigger audience on xbox and gamepass

Sorry for bump the thread, but both Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are on sale right now

No, no. This is a good bump. (y)

0 is still on sale too, so make sure to buy all three games if you haven't yet!

Now it's Sony's turn.
Currently, there are ten games scheduled to leave PS Plus Extra and Premium in August 2023, including Yakuza Kiwami and Carmageddon Max Damage. The games will leave the PS Plus service on Tuesday, August 15, 2023.
another devastating loss, this time from Microsoft's biggest competitor.
it's not just Kiwami 1, 0 and Kiwami 2 are getting removed as well.

Quoted by: SNP
Looking at the Xbox app on PC, it seems they added them back to Game Pass some time ago. I got the games through Humble Bundle so, I never really checked Game Pass for them.

Yeah, the main series is all on
Game Pass currently. Probably renewed the license with two Yakuza games on the horizon.

Big discovery for me was FPS boost for Yakuza 6, that’s been a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom