• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Totally-not-at-all-but-also-sort-of-E3 2024 is now over - what has been your personal highlights?

Irene

#TheProcessPrevails
Pronouns
She/Her
Alright, with a lot behind us, Totally-not-at-all-but-also-sort-of-E3 2024 is over.

Which games have been some of your personal highlights? The most impressive, most hype and most eagerly anticipated ones for you, out of everything shown?

Showcases:

Summer Game Fest
Notable games shown: Monster Hunter Wilds, Power Rangers, Slitterhead, Phantom Blade Zero, Wanderstop

Xbox games Showcase + Black Ops 6 Direct
Notable games shown: Doom: The Dark Ages, Perfect Dark, Gears of War: E-day, South of Midnight, Life is Strange: Double Exposure, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6

Future Games Show
Notable games shown: Once Human, Dustborn, The Casting of Frank Stone, First Dwarf

Steam Next Fest
Notable games shown: Tiny Glade, Duckside, I Am Your Beast, Sworn

Day of the Devs
Notable games shown: Cairn, Simpler Times, Petal Runner, Karma: The Dark World

Ubisoft Forward
Notable games shown: Star Wars Outlaws, Assassin's Creed Shadows, XDefiant Season 1

State of Play
Notable games shown: Astro Bot, Concord, Until Dawn, Infinity Nikki

Wholesome Games Direct
Notable games shown: Tiny Bookshop, Caravan Sand Witch, Rooster, Discounty

Devolver Direct
Notable games shown: Tenjutsu, The Crush House, The Talos Principle 2: Road to Elysium, Cult of the Lamb: Unholy Alliance

Nintendo Direct
Notable games shown: Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom, Mario & Luigi: Brothership, Donkey Kong Country Returns HD

... and more. (PC Gaming Show, Yacht Club Presents, etc.)

In no particular order:

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
Metroid Prime 4
Perfect Dark (Xbox Series)
Gears of War E-Day
Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D

Those were my highlights.

Astro Bot, Life is Strange, and Zelda were my for sure highlights.

The big indie game funding announcements at SGF also get a shoutout.

Civ 7 hype was the biggest moment for me for sure.

Lego Horizon, Astro Bot, Doom Dark Ages, Power Rangers Rita's Rewind, LiS Double Exposure, LoZ Echoes of Wisdom, Mario & Luigi Brothership, DQ3, Romancing SaGa 2, Hundred Line Last defense Academy, AA Investigations, Phantom Brave, Farmagia, Rune Factory Project Dragon and Daemon X machina are the others.

Doom: The Dark Ages
Perfect Dark
Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

would round out my top 3

Honorable mentions
State of Decay 3
South of Midnight
Fairy Tail 2
Rune Factory Project Dragon

Nintendo taking me BEYOND what my feeble mind could imagine. That's the highest of the high for me.

And I will say, I was super impressed by Fable in the Xbox Showcase. That trailer absolutely rocked me.

Astro Bot, Lego Horizon, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6, Life is Strange: Double Exposure, Doom: The Dark Ages, Perfect Dark, Metroid Prime 4, Super Mario Party Jamboree, The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom, and Donkey Kong Country Returns HD

Again, Nintendo's showcase largely bought the ruckus for me. That said, there have been some nice things from other shows.

Metroid Prime 4
M&L
MAHVEL
Zelda: Echoes
Phantom Blade Zero
Doom Dark Ages
Dynasty Warriors Origins
Dragon Quest 2D-HD
Romancing Saga 2

Last edited:
Mario and Luigi
Mario Party
Sparking Zero
Sonic X Shadow Gens
tie between Prime 4 and Zelda

Honorable mentions to:
Killer Bean
MVC collection
Doom
Astro Bot
Ace Attorney Investigations purely so me and my friends can fan dub

The Nintendo Direct really took this E3 season and ran with it, but the Xbox showcase was also awesome.

I'll walk away from this summer forever remembering the emotional knockout moments of Prime 4 and Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom. But I look upon Perfect Dark, Life is Strange: Double Exposure and, Clair Obscura: Expedition 33 very fondly as well.

Other scattershot highlights for me were MIO: Memories in Orbit, Ace Attorney Investigations, The Hundred Line: Last-Defense Academy, Wuchang: Fallen Feathers, MGS Delta and Mixtape.

Notable for me that we didn't know about

Power Rangers
Zelda Echoes of Wisdom
Super Mario Party Jamboree
Phantom Brave The Lost Hero
Doom Dark Ages
Expedition 33

Notable for me that we knew about before

Metroid Prime 4
Dragon Quest III Remake
Perfect Dark
Rune Factory Project Dragon

Also HM to Ace Attorney Investigations and MvC collection, very happy they're coming to modern consoles, thought they are jazzed up collections of games I already own.

Time for Josh's Top 10!

Age of Mythology: Retold- The gameplay that we saw last week was great. I skipped this game back in the day. I will not make that same mistake again.

Astro Bot- If that trailer doesn't put a smile on your face, you have no soul.

Avowed- Compared to the June 2023 showing, this game has greatly improved since then. Obsidion has a hit on their hands!

Cuffbust- I am still speechless. Look at that trailer!?!!

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom- Finally it is Zelda's chance to shine!

Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection- Collection package of the year! Nothing but hype here.

Metroid Prime 4: Beyond- Trust the process!

Power Rangers: Rita's Rewind- This came out of no where and I couldn't be more excited. An easy day 1 pick up.

Star Wars: Outlaws- Ubisoft is saying all the right things about this game. I really hope that it hits the landing.

1. Gears of War E-Day
2. Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection
3. The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
4. Metroid Prime 4
5. MMPR: Rita's Rewind
6. Mixtape
7. Mario and Luigi Brothership

BLOPS 6 as well, just didn't list it because I play all the CoDs lol...

No order:

Astro Bot
South of Midnight
Doom: The Dark Ages
Fable
Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
Metroid Prime 4 Beyond
DQ III HD2D & I/II HD2D

1. Prime 4
2. Doom The Dark Ages
3. The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
4. Age of Mythology Retold
5. Astro Bot
6. Super Mario Party Jamboree

First half of the year was rather weak but the second half is looking much better for me starting with Erdtree.

Metroid Prime 4
The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
Arranger: A Role Puzzling Adventure
Unbeatable
Clair Obscur: Expedition 33
Wanderstop
Neva
Astro Bot

OP, there was also the Marvelous Showcase. (At the same time as the State of Play lol)

Outside of the Nintendo Direct, it was just Astro Bot and Doom that interested me. I'm a huge Story of Seasons fan, but the new one left me unimpressed and very worried about it so far.

In the Nintendo Direct, my top 3 was Zelda, Marvel vs Capcom collection, and Metroid Prime 4.

The Power Rangers game looked like a lot of fun.
Doom looked great.
Mario & Luigi was surprising.
I'm glad DQ I&II are also getting the HD-2D treatment.
And finally seeing Metroid Prime 4, of course.

Xbox showcase has been the best, followed by Direct
Perfect Dark, the Gears teaser and Expedition 33 have been great, as Zelda, Mario_Luigi and the first Metroid trailer

I’ll pick a few favorites from each show I saw and no order here:

Astrobot
Power Rangers Rita’s Rewind
Building Relationships
Gears of War E Day
Perfect Dark
Mario and Luigi Brothership
Zelda Zelda
Ace Attorney Investigations 2
The Hundred Line
Metroid Prime 4 Beyond

I think of those, the biggest winners for me were Metroid Prime 4, Astrobot, and maybe both Mario & Luigi and Zelda tied for third place.

Nintendo really filled out the year with awesome stuff. Very excited for the back half of the year now.

Surprisingly, the most exciting thing to me wasn't from Nintendo, or even from any of the other big shows. It came from IGN Live, of all places.

It's a 3D Platformer you may have heard of called The Big Catch.

I backed this on KS a while back, and the devs sort of went radio silent, only posting a few little morsels here and there. Turns out, they secured a publishing deal with Xseed, and they came out swinging at IGN Live with this trailer--

Additionally, there's a free playable prologue on steam. It shows off how demanding, precise and rewarding the gameplay is. I don't think it will be for everybody, but it was honestly magical for me. If you like really expressive 3D platformers with great movement options, go give the Big Catch Tacklebox a try!!! I 100% it in around 15 hours-- this prologue may be one of my favorite games of the year!

I also want to highlight this other amazing looking game I discovered this season... It's called Sonzai. It has beautiful hand-drawn spritework, really fun looking action gameplay, and it utilizes Persona's calendar/stat progression system. It is super on my radar after this month!

Now that I've finished gushing, here are my top ten favorite announcements this not-E3

1. The Big Catch
2. The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
3. Mario & Luigi: Brothership
4. Dragon Quest III Release Date+Surprise Announce of I&II
5. Astro Bot
6. Metroid Prime 4: Beyond
7. Clair Obscur: Expedition 33
8. Sonic x Shadow Generations Trailer
9. Dragon Ball: Sparking! ZERO Release Date Reveal
10. Sonzai

Life is Strange: Double Exposure, Talos Principle 2: Road to Elysium, and Ace Attorney Investigations.

It's a miracle that these games even exist. Ace Attorney Investigations went unlocalized for almost a decade. Talos Principle 2 was a game that didn't come out for almost a decade, and after there was a massive falloff in players for Talos 1's DLC, they weren't sure they were even going to make any DLC for 2. Life is Strange has been pissing off its fandom since the original came out, almost a decade ago.

UFO 50 finally has a date
Mario & Luigi lives
New 2D Zelda ft. Zelda
Marvel vs. Capcom collection to cap off that era of fighting game collections
Sakaguchi reuniting wtih Square-Enix to publish Fantasian
Kawazu somehow getting a Romancing SaGa 2 3D remake made
Dragon Quest III HD-2D and I+II getting the same treatment
Tenjutsu looks sublime
Metroid Prime 4 has a date

Patience was finally rewarded this year

Perfect dark. Zelda, and astrobot were my three highlites. Plenty of other great looking stuff too like doom, fable, and Mario & luigi brothership. But those 3 aforementioned titles are what I want to play right god damn now they look so good

Back
Top Bottom