• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Tired of Steam Deck lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasparov77

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
The Steam Deck, while a great device has I feel one of the worst communities to this date. And it's all because of completely unnecessary lies they love to spread.
Despite it being able to withstand on it's own merit when it comes to price x performance, believe it or not, the device isn't quite capable of 'everything' like their insecure community behind it wants you to believe.

As it stands, Valve's handheld is a device capable of 720p to ~900p low-medium graphics on most intensive triple A titles released recently. But when it comes to titles like these, even locking the framerate at 30, utilizing low settings and limiting the TDP to 7-10W (as anything below will make most heavy titles have a hard time running steadily at 30) that will net you around 2 and half to 3 hours at best and 1 to 1.5 hours at worst (in case you don't want to settle for 30FPS and worse settings).
Here's a couple of examples to prove my point with the device being properly optimized for each title:
Elden Ring
God of War
MOD EDIT: The wizard game is a banned topic here at Famiboards. See Moderation thread for more details.
3 Hours is indeed possible, but it's certainly not the average. 2.5 hours is a more realistic metric.
And here are more examples of titles running at over 30 FPS without the user properly optimizing in-game settings:
Doom Eternal
Cyberpunk 2077
Death Stranding
On really intensive titles, the device mostly struggles reaching even 2 hours at 60FPS, averaging out 1.5h or slightly above.

Whenever these facts are brought up, the average Steam Deck fanboy will try to counter argument by saying the usual "You're doing it wrong" to which I normally reply: "Okay, so you realize that in handheld mode it makes no sense to run this title at 60FPS, here's the runtime with the right settings, TDP and locked at 30" (it's about 3 hours or less) to which they usually deflect with "but at least I can do it" or "here's a <completely different title that wasn't even the point of the conversation> you can run it at x for y hours".
And by that point, I question if it's even worth it to keep discussing because the person has completely missed the point.

Thing is, every discussion about the Deck has the Switch and it's family of devices being used as a comparison. Some might say it's dumb to compare a 2015 budget mobile chip vs a 2022 chip on a whole different architecture; But I believe price-wise, it's an interesting comparison. But this is where we start getting into some issues.

The first issue being: the Switch has an older brother, released in 2017 on a way less efficient node A.K.A the "v1 Switch". It's battery life while running intensive 3D titles can range anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 hours. But since 2019 this model has been retired and replaced with it's younger brother that's way more energy efficient: the "v2 Switch" which typically lasts anywhere from 4.5 to 5 hours on a really intensive 3D title. Despite that, most Steam Deck users will still compare the performance x battery x price ratio of the v1 Switch to Valve's handheld even though the 2019 v2 revision costs exactly the same as the original (299$).

And now I'd like to talk about those "comparisons":
Usually, when discussing the Deck vs Switch, the first comparisons being made are across games available on both devices. Eg: Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Overwatch 2, Wolfenstein II, etc... And while yes, even setting the Deck at the lowest possible configurations for battery life woes, these games will typically look better than they do on Switch. This is due to many factors: lightning, asset quality and aliasing differences across both versions of each game. But what every Deck owner cleverly hides is the fact that in nearly all cases, doing so not only closes the graphical fidelity gap between both devices but it still leaves a considerable 1-1.5+ battery runtime gap that expands even further depending on the title and settings.

Now, an even more problematic comparison: Switch emulation on Steam Deck vs running native games on Switch. Nearly every time I've seen it done by the Steam Deck community, it was in really bad faith. Leaving piracy arguments aside (as this is a mere technical comparison and yes, believe it or not, there are multiple Deck users who own a Switch and dump their games from it to play in other platforms), the reason why I think most of these comparisons are frustrating (to say the least) is how often Deck users try to hide things like:
  • battery runtime when emulating
  • how forcing 60FPS will break most 30FPS switch games (Nintendo titles are usually coded with physics and game logic bound to framerate)
  • graphical glitches and crashes on games with know issues
  • the lack of proper NSO support (they deflect this by mentioning how emulators are capable of simulating local co-op as if it was the same thing)
  • ease of use
  • feature parity (what if I want to read/write from my amiibos? the Steam Deck has no NFC reader, why should I settle with an amiibo picker?)

All of that said, I'll focus on the most important point (imo): battery runtime comparisons. It's ridiculous how often you'll see Deck users compare native switch vs deck with an emulator and say with a straight face that battery life's comparable between the two. Look man, a 2 hours or more difference isn't "comparable".
They also love to use lighter 3D games as a metric and even worse: taking the first runtime estimation as the truth instead of leaving the estimator running for a while while actually playing the game (which often results in a ~30-50 minutes difference). Eg: look at how the estimator drops from 2.5 hours all the way to a bit over 1.5 hours just from leaving a loading screen. This is pretty common on native triple A titles too: you will often see Deck users say things like "I can get over 3 hours on this, look: <screenshot>" and then, you look a video on Youtube with the same settings and the estimator drops over half an hour just from the person recording you know, actually playing the game.
And mind you, the battery runtime estimator on steam deck is pretty reliable, it just turns out that it will quickly fluctuate on certain workloads (eg: games with multiple loading screens).

Whenever you discuss these things with Deck users you can feel how insecure they are when trying to defend their platform as if it's some kind of sacred relic or something. I mean, competition from another company alone (ASUS with the ROG Ally) set a shitstorm in the PC gaming community of deck fans in full defense mode for something that really can't compete with a way cheaper device with a better battery runtime and control options.
And if you think I'm exaggerating or something, just google any video on the ally made by a big enough tech channel and you'll easily find comments being protective over Valve's handheld while downplaying ASUS's option. Hell, /r/SteamDeck's title alone changed to "Dollar-for-dollar, the best ally money could buy". Need I say more?

TL;DR: Dear Deck users, Valve's handheld is great and all but it can stand on it's own, you don't need to babysit it. If the product wasn't great, it wouldn't have sold over a million units for something that is essentially not being produced nearly in the same rate as a MS/Sony/Nintendo console. You don't need to lie about what it can do, let people reach their own conclusions and present the information as it is, don't fabricate it.

I hate how many people say it's a better switch, but it's only possible to be that and it's debatable if it is, if you aren't a physical game collector.

Yep. This is how I feel about it. I use mine only for games that aren’t/won’t be on Switch.

Everything you said could be applied to PC gaming as a whole. Some people genuinely believe in the whole "PC Master Race" meme from back in the day.

I love the steam deck but yeah, the misrepresentation surrounding it in certain quarters is hilarious

That said, it’s no different than any given “console” warring so I tend to ignore it

It's just the natural consequence of framerate/resolution worship that gained ground during the PS4/Xbone era.

There's this weird community of people who I swear would play hanging upside down on a colorless display if they could get 30 more frames per second out of it and scoff at anyone who wouldn't. Obviously, certain devices where you can sacrifice comfort, usability and such to gain some performance will be the ones to attract this crowd.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this. If you prefer to sacrifice other comforts for pure performance, good for you. I'm glad platforms where you can do just that exist. But this weird dismissal of the importance of such features and framing them as somehow inferior, second-class to pure performance is quite annoying.

Of course there are also the people who drank a bit too much of the "Gaben our lord and savior" koolaid and seem to think that Steam = PC, but every company has their equally annoying fans.

Tech dorks trying to validate their purchase by exaggerating their device's strengths and the "opposing" device's weaknesses.

Of course there are also the people who drank a bit too much of the "Gaben our lord and savior" koolaid and seem to think that Steam = PC, but every company has their equally annoying fans.
My friends (all PC gamers) seem to hate EGS for some weird reason and can't help but ask myself: why? you get games for free, the store has nice discounts and you only hate it because it's another launcher and not steam? how bad can it be running a .exe and clicking a few more buttons? Hell, you can even add the game to your steam library and run it from there. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The Steam Deck is a great console that does something different than the Switch for people who want something different than the Switch, so there's no sense in pitting the two machines against each other. They are complementary, they have their qualities and their defects, this war is childish.

In both cases, we know what we're buying. Or probably what we're not buying, in the case of a majority of those among Steam Deck owners who are obsessed with the Switch, if we stop being hypocrites for two seconds about Switch emulation.

If people stopped going to bat for their choices of consumption the internet would be nicer

I have a steam deck and I really think it's bad. Definitely a waste of money when you take into consideration the poor ergonomics, bad button quality, and horrible screen. As is games look better on the switch, they could have at least done OLED.

I think it has some utility as like a budget device for enthusiasts so you can play lots of games without owning a DS and a PS2 and a Wii or whatever... but most of those also work on your pc or laptop with likely a better screen. And the price is too high for something targeting people on a budget imo

I would recommend a steam deck if you enjoy organizing game libraries more than playing games

I’ve been saying since its reveal that it’s an over-engineered Game Gear with the poor battery life to match, and without the charm. I stand by that. Much of the love-in stems from the fact that it was revealed on the same day as the OLED Model, when a very vocal, very online minority of so-called “Influencers” were thirsty for a “Pro” Switch, which never existed, and which was never going to happen for perfectly logical reasons. I also said the comparisons to the current or a future Switch would be inappropriate, and based on leaked information, it won’t hold a candle. 💕✨

You picked the perfect place to complain about the Steam Deck, judging by these replies.

Steam Deck is great, Switch is great, don't let it bother you. Play where you want to play, and let others play where they want to play.

Do you own a Steam Deck?

they could have at least done OLED.
There's currently a screen upgrade kit being developed which was recently teased by a company and it's a higher res. panel with better color accuracy.
But it's 100$ and uses anti glare coating instead of glossy (and if you know anything about displays, you know how that sucks for contrast and sharpness).
Not to mention, the screen on these portable handhelds is sub 1080p for a reason: running higher res. typically consumes more power (even with upscaling) and not only that, playing at non-native resolutions on LCD panels leads to worse image quality due to how scaling works on these panels.
I hate how many people say it's a better switch, but it's only possible to be that and it's debatable if it is, if you aren't a physical game collector.
I love my physical collection and collecting games in general but I'm aware that digital with multiple backups is the way to go due to physical media wear.

You picked the perfect place to complain about the Steam Deck, judging by these replies.
Had it been in any other place it would've been a shitstorm of rude replies by people who completely missed the point. Fami is pretty chill.
Do you own a Steam Deck?
I've been researching it a lot since released. I like the idea behind the device, even had even a friend purchase one recently. I considered buying it once the price dropped, but my current laptop is still imo way too good to part ways with.

But I already told my friends: once Valve releases a Deck 2 with ~1.5 to 2 hours more battery life and a bit more GPU horsepower, maybe even an OLED display I know exactly what I'm buying.

There's currently a screen upgrade kit being developed which was recently teased by a company and it's a higher res. panel with better color accuracy.
But it's 100$ and uses anti glare coating instead of glossy (and if you know anything about displays, you know how that sucks for contrast and sharpness).
Not to mention, the screen on these portable handhelds is sub 1080p for a reason: running higher res. typically consumes more power (even with upscaling) and not only that, playing at non-native resolutions on LCD panels leads to worse image quality due to how scaling works on these panels.

I love my physical collection and collecting games in general but I'm aware that digital with multiple backups is the way to go due to physical media wear.
Mine had to come with the anti-glare, that may explain why it look so particularly bad. That's interesting! It doesn't even stop glare!

Had it been in any other place it would've been a shitstorm of rude replies by people who completely missed the point. Fami is pretty chill.

I've been researching it a lot since released. I like the idea behind the device, even had even a friend purchase one recently. I considered buying it once the price dropped, but my current laptop is still imo way too good to part ways with.

But I already told my friends: once Valve releases a Deck 2 with ~1.5 to 2 hours more battery life and a bit more GPU horsepower, maybe even an OLED display I know exactly what I'm buying.
It’s a really great device, but I can understand the desire to wait for a second iteration before jumping in. A big portion of the Deck audience is just happy to have another handheld, and treat the Switch as a companion, not a competitor. There’s always going to be a small group of people trying to make everything a competition, but ignore them and you’ll be very happy.

I’ve been saying since its reveal that it’s an over-engineered Game Gear with the poor battery life to match, and without the charm. I stand by that. Much of the love-in stems from the fact that it was revealed on the same day as the OLED Model, when a very vocal, very online minority of so-called “Influencers” were thirsty for a “Pro” Switch, which never existed, and which was never going to happen for perfectly logical reasons. I also said the comparisons to the current or a future Switch would be inappropriate, and based on leaked information, it won’t hold a candle. 💕✨
Who cares about “charm?” It’s a tool to play games, and for that it’s great.

This is just console war nonsense

Who cares about “charm?” It’s a tool to play games, and for that it’s great.

This is just console war nonsense

Don't be a fool. Industrial Design has been all about the semantics of design language since the beggining of the XX century versus the pragmatic side of it (aka, the function, "to play games"). Of course people care about those things, the highest valued tech company in the world grew from that principle.

If anyone wants to make a discussion thread about the Steam Deck compared to the Switch that isn’t rooted in platform wars and sweeping generalisations about users of other devices, feel free. It’s fine to compare and criticise but the framing of this particular thread and it’s title isn’t going to lead to discussion in line with Fami’s chill atmosphere. This thread is locked. -PK and the mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom