• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Tintin Reporter: Cigars Of The Pharaoh - launches 2023 on PC & Console

aus89

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him

Moulinsart and Microids have revealed the first screens and announcement trailer for Tintin Reporter – Cigars of the Pharaoh’s video game adaptation. Developed by the Spanish studio Pendulo Studios, renown for their adventure games spanning over three decades (Blacksad: Under The Skin, Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo), Tintin Reporter – Cigars of the Pharaoh will be released on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC in 2023.

Inspired by an iconic adventure from the comic book series “The Adventures of Tintin” created by Hergé selling more than 275 million units worldwide, this new video game will sign the return of the famous reporter to the interactive medium thanks to a dynamic co-production by Moulinsart and Microids.

Tintin and his faithful dog Snowy will set sail for incredible adventures! After meeting with the Egyptologist Sophocles Sarcophagus during a Mediterranean cruise, the famous reporter decides to investigate the Pharaoh Kih-Oskh’s tomb. What terrible secret does the tomb hide? From Egypt to India and Arabia, Tintin and Snowy will follow a lead on narcotics trafficking all the way to the far east.

This new adventure game will immerse players into the captivating comic book’s universe and make them the heroes of an epic action adventure masterpiece. With an art direction faithful to Hergé’s drawings, this game is lining up to be a jubilant adaptation!

Featuring all the facets of the Tintin universe and with a story full of twists making part of Hergé’s great creative legacy, the game plunges you into the heart of mysterious Egypt and other lands of infinite beauty. “Cigars of the Pharaoh”, the 4th album of the series was prepublished in December 1932 in the youth supplement “Le Petit – Vingtième”.

A unique and innovative gameplay combining all the key elements of adventure and investigation video games. A game that puts you in a reporter’s shoes, searching for clues, infiltrating hostile places and solving puzzles with the help of investigative dialogues sumptuously enriched with breathtaking video sequences.

For Stéphane Longeard, CEO of Microids: “Being able to work on an adaptation of the famous Belgian reporter’s adventure is a delight. We started working on the game a few years ago and we cannot wait to show more to our players worldwide. If I had one thing to add, I’d say that we’ll do everything in our power to pay tribute to Hergé’s work and offer the fans the adaptation of their dreams”.

Nick Rodwell: Director of Moulinsart adds “The production of a new immersive video game for PC and consoles carries the adventure legacy of the most famous reporter. Our ambition is first and foremost entertaining and friendly to please the whole family. Microids is the perfect partner to accompany Tintin for this new adventure!”

Tintin Reporter – Cigars of the Pharaoh will be released in 2023 on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC.

Tintin-Cigares-Pharaon-6.jpg

Tintin-Cigares-Pharaon-2.jpg

Tintin-Cigares-Pharaon-1.jpg

Tintin-Cigares-Pharaon-5-2.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect book to have a game of. Lots of action, kidnappings, fighting with sharks, climbing mountains.... The part where Tintin beats up the cult members with a club should be especially fun.

Microids and also Pendulo unfortunately have a very mixed output of games recently, but I hope of this being good. Tintin is such a great comic series and it is a shame how little is happening with that franchise.

Back when I was a kid, it always annoyed me that Tintin games were almost exclusively platform-based; I felt that an adventure/point and click game would be a much better fit for the franchise. Seeing as this is a Pendulo-developed game, this may be just what I wanted.

Microids and also Pendulo unfortunately have a very mixed output of games recently, but I hope of this being good. Tintin is such a great comic series and it is a shame how little is happening with that franchise.
It's kind of sad, really; back when the point and click genre was starting to struggle, Pendulo Studios was still making very well received titles (such as Runaway: A Road Adventure) which caused many to consider them something of a last beacon of hope for the genre. And yet, now that the adventure genre has been kind of blossoming again, Pendulo are the ones that seem unable to truly stick the landing with their games. Well, one thing that I can say about Pendulo is that I have never played a game of theirs that I would qualify as bad (quick disclaimer: I haven't played every single Pendulo game out there), so this game will probably be "just okay" at worst.

Last edited:
Tintin was my absolute favorite as a kid. The graphic novels were incredibly popular in Venezuela, and my dad had introduced them to me and I would pour every panel countless of times.

That said, I really do not like his design on this. Why not use the classic design? It’s timeless. His face looks all sorts of wrong.

Back when I was a kid, it always annoyed me that Tintin games where almost exclusively platform-based; I felt that an adventure/point and click game would be a much better fit for the franchise. Seeing as this is a Pendulo-developed game, this may be just what I wanted.

It's kind of sad, really; back when the point and click genre was starting to struggle, Pendulo Studios was still making very well received titles (such as Runaway: A Road Adventure) which caused many to consider them something of a last beacon of hope for the genre. And yet, now that the adventure genre has been kind of blossoming again, Pendulo are the ones that seem unable to truly stick the landing with their games. Well, one thing that I can say about Pendulo is that I have never played a game of theirs that I would qualify as bad (quick disclaimer: I haven't played every single Pendulo game out there), so this game will probably be "just okay" at worst.
Yeah at least their games are always interesting in some way.

Tintin was my absolute favorite as a kid. The graphic novels were incredibly popular in Venezuela, and my dad had introduced them to me and I would pour every panel countless of times.

That said, I really do not like his design on this. Why not use the classic design? It’s timeless. His face looks all sorts of wrong.
Strangely enough Milou/Snowy looks pretty faithful. They should just use the dot-eyes for the humans too and the characters would already look way better.

Edit: Nevermind, I zoomed in the picture, the dog has this stupid looking eyes too. They should really use the dots, they‘re such a huge part of Hergés artstyle.

Yeah i feel like its too expensive/time consuming probably for Microids but you would need to have some kind of Arc System Works 2D cel shaded style to pull of Herge's original style, as it is idk that it translates to 3D super well just by itself (see PS1 game) - but I think the game doesnt look horrible and Tintin is stylised enough (more than the Spielberg/Jackson one) that it sort of works well enough
140645.jpg

I still get nightmares from Captain Haddock's terrifying face in the Spielberg film.

Hope the game is good. Would really love it if they changed the style to be closer to the comics.

Back
Top Bottom