• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Predictions Tinfoil Hat Time: I think Sega/Atlus leaker Midori MIGHT be company-sanctioned viral marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Let’s take a look at their latest tweet.

Alright so let’s think about the two possibilities here.

Possibility number one: they have leaked Persona 6’s placeholder logo graphic for funsies. Cool. Neat. Except: is it?

It’s one thing to leak info/details about a game in development, by way of text. Someone working on a game told you a little bit of info and you share it in a tweet. But sneaking mid-development art assets out to post publicly like this is a whole other kettle of fish. I don’t know if any of you have worked for any kind of creative business, but as someone who has worked in TV for a decade: 1) IT departments can absolutely track who has accessed certain files, and 2) that is not something you do if you enjoy having a job. That’s a huge career risk for you and sucks for your colleagues who are working hard on a product they’re proud of but are following the rules of not talking about it publicly.

So with that in mind:

Possibility number two: the Midori account is an experiment in viral marketing by Sega.

“Derachi you’re nuts” no seriously, listen to me for a minute!

Persona 6 is a game whose primary target demographic cares a lot about the series, and will be scouring Twitter for any and all info about the franchise’s next entry. Sega could easily do the typical video game marketing plan where maybe you post your logo to social media with a date for the first trailer or something. But instead, if your logo is reveal by way of a “leaker,” you get way more people talking about it. You get conversations about its veracity and the ethics of leaking, but it’s all around your game’s logo. That’s basically free marketing. You can drop tidbits like “the primary colour is green” and get headlines. About a colour.

Also, hey: have you noticed Midori hasn’t been caught or shut down or penalized yet? Or acknowledged/disavowed by Sega/Atlus in any way? Sega could easily get in touch with Twitter and have the account shut down for spreading confidential info, and now, copyrighted art assets related to their company. But they haven’t. And I think that might be intentional.

Think about the last two Persona games: Persona 4 was all about finding the truth, framed by motif of television. Persona 5 was about truth and justice, with social media/internet message boards being used to push that theme. With concepts of truth and ethics, and the conversations thereof happening through contemporary technology and at-the-time modern communication methods, would it be so out of character for official Persona 6 information to be spread by a seemingly unauthorized leaker? Would you actually be surprised if this is actually just playing into Persona 6’s themes?

Also Midori’s name literally means “Green.” Open your eyes, folks!

I think people were speculating that as well, but she's also leaked info about other companies too. That seems to somewhat disprove it.

Yeah no

The fact that she has been leaking S-E and Nintendo stuff disproves that
I think people were speculating that as well, but she's also leaked info about other companies too. That seems to somewhat disprove it.

I mean....it's crazy enough to be true

but leaking Nintendo stuff kinda disproves it

Hear me out, what if, Midori was working for the joint alliance of SE, Sega and Nintendo?

I suspect some leakers/leaks were sanctioned, it's a good way to gently reveal information about a product to super fans so they don't freak out all at once at the product reveal.

It's also a good way to gently break bad/less than desirable news to get the negatively out of the way and for people to settle down.

I would believe it, but they did put out some info about some other companies before (Capcom i think?).
In all honesty though, their leaking does a great deal for Atlus lol. It really hypes people up and keep the twitter community/bubble engaged in stuff regarding Persona or other titles of theirs. Hope they stays around for a long time, as their info is usually good, reliable and makes sense.

Is there any way for us to know this logo is legitimate? I've seen a decent amount of responses online that are pointing to this as a next-level leak from Midori, but do we know that they actually leaked anything with this image?

I still think that outside of Sega stuff, they dont really know anything, specially the nintendo stuff. Getting the codename of a Zelda game is at best a guess. The rest not really new info, of course NDCube is making a new game and based on schedule its pretty likely a Mario Party and who has worked on them for the last games SmileBoom.

I wouldn't be shocked if this is another case of people getting backdoor access to this information using a persona (pun not intended) to leak this information. We saw this before with an account going by the name of Sabi who had similar information, leaking tons of game information due to having a hacker group of friends sharing info. I am not accusing Midori of any illegal activity but to this point, you have to question how does she know all the ins and outs at SEGA/ATLUS while now getting information on codenames at Nintendo and SE.

I could have maybe seen that being the case before she started to branch out more, but at this point I think she just likes to live dangerously (or is just bad at assessing risk), especially given the red flags on the Nintendo rumors in particular.

The fact that she's leaking stuff from multiple companies doesn't help her feel more legit to me. Like no offense to her if she is, but how would she have sources within both Sega and goddamn super-secret Nintendo?

I'd have an easier time believing she's now talking about Ninty and Squeenix so it doesn't look like she's so closely affiliated with Sega, than I would believing she actually has hands in all those pots. Have any of her Nintendo/Square leaks even panned out yet? Not tryina do a gotcha, sincerely asking.

Also Midori if you actually are watching this thread I really don't mean any offense, and that photosynthesis line was pretty good 😂

The fact that she's leaking stuff from multiple companies doesn't help her feel more legit to me. Like no offense to her if she is, but how would she have sources within both Sega and goddamn super-secret Nintendo?

I'd have an easier time believing she's now talking about Ninty and Squeenix so it doesn't look like she's so closely affiliated with Sega, than I would believing she actually has hands in all those pots. Have any of her Nintendo/Square leaks even panned out yet? Not tryina do a gotcha, sincerely asking.

Also Midori if you actually are watching this thread I really don't mean any offense, and that photosynthesis line was pretty good 😂
i don't follow her closely enough to say either way but checking her replies and retweets for the past month or so its almost exclusively Atlus/SegaSammy related

May I introduce you to Nate the Hate, May I introduce you to Pyoro, May I introduce you to Necrolipe.

All three people have demonstrated Insider knowledge from sega and nintendo lol.

She sees the threads, she reads the discussions, she's been on resetera too btw.

Companies spend millions of dollars on marketing their products, the absolute last thing they want is for people to be whispering about them months and years before revealing them.

Would beleive it more if she didnt leak Nintendo stuff lol. I dont see Sega risking that ire even if the Nintendo leaks were fake to sell that she isnt some Sega plant

May I introduce you to Nate the Hate, May I introduce you to Pyoro, May I introduce you to Necrolipe.

All three people have demonstrated Insider knowledge from sega and nintendo lol.

She sees the threads, she reads the discussions, she's been on resetera too btw.
That's why I asked if anything she's leaked from Nintendo has panned out. I know Nate and Necro have reliably leaked stuff from both, with track records going back years. I'm asking what her track record is outside of Sega. Again, not as a gotcha, but because I sincerely don't know.

That's why I asked if anything she's leaked from Nintendo has panned out. I know Nate and Necro have reliably leaked stuff from both, with track records going back years. I'm asking what her track record is outside of Sega. Again, not as a gotcha, but because I sincerely don't know.
Pretty sure pyoro has corroborated her knowing some nintendo codenames but that's pretty much it, she also proved she knew about switch 2 coming out in 2025 before reports came out in late february. Other than that no, this next direct will probably have the mario party she talked about tho.

I do not mean to be rude, but could someone please say what Nate and Necro have leaked that has been proven true so far?

I know that Nate talked about the possibility of a Switch Pro coming out years ago, but that obviously didn't happen. I can also remember that he was one of the, if not the first person to talk about the 4K 60 fps Breath of the Wild demo at Gamescon, but I cannot really think of anything else at the moment. In regards to Necro, I know he has talked in the past about Switch 2, but nothing he has said has been proven correct so far, no? At least not as far as I know.

Meanwhile, although Midori's leaks for Nintendo/Square stuff haven't been confirmed to be true yet, she has been incredibly reliable for anything and everything related to Atlus. It is suspicious that she suddenly happens to have info about Nintendo's inner workings, but her correct leaks are fresher in my head, so I trust her (for now, at least).

Checks out. The explanation for the other leaks is that the account has become so famous that companies like SE and Nintendo are paying to have their leaks there. I think we've cracked this.

Companies spend millions of dollars on marketing their products, the absolute last thing they want is for people to be whispering about them months and years before revealing them.
Idk sometimes it does more good than bad. However it depends on what they leak. In that sense I think guys like Pyoro and Midori does a good job not leaking big obvious stuff, or maybe they don't have those information.

Allow me to reword chocolate_supra's suspicion:
There has been an observation that prior to the 'retirement', Midori was exclusively Sega/Atlus, IIRC. And the joke/suspicion from outside observers at the time was that she's either a relatively high Sega employee or one degree away (be it family member or personal friend).
Continuing on, post-'retirement', the behavior of the twitter account doesn't seem to 100% match up with before. Particularly, the inclusion of information from outside of Sega.
So the question circles back, then expands to, how does a given individual have access to this, *gestures*
set of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom