• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Time to bet Fami, what is Metroid Prime 4 going to be?

Prime 4 is going to be...

• a Switch 2 exclusive

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • a Switch 1 exclusive

Votes: 40 36.7%
  • Cross gen between Switch 1 and Switch 2

Votes: 66 60.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Prime 4 at this point has probably been near completion, assuming the development time it has had.
It is intriguing to know the outcome of this tbh. We'll probably find ut in a month from now, but it will be fun to speculate a bit.

As much as I would rather play MP4 on Switch 2, I don't think they're going to "unannounce" MP4 for Switch 1, it's still coming for Switch 1 either way.

I'm going to wait for Switch 2 version though if Switch 2 version exists.

From what I can tell, most people expect it to be the Switch 2's BotW, but I think it's gonna be more Switch 1's TLOU2

Release this year on the current Switch, maybe once Switch 2 is out the back-compat makes it look/run even better, maybe there's an update or upgrade to a "Switch 2-native version" at some point, but when it comes out I don't think it's cross-gen or next-gen exclusive

I think it's going to be released as a Switch 1 game this fall, and by backwards compatibility and hopefully with a next gen patch, you can play it on the Switch 2.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they hold into it until next spring for a cross gen release. Or maybe it would only come by then either way but it ends up being cross gen by luck.

I'm assuming that the next system will be backwards compatible, and OP isn't talking about release timing... so I chose the third option.

Switch 1 release this fall but be backwards compatible next year with Switch 2 enhancements.

I don't see it being cross gen tbh. The only two times Nintendo has done this in the past had, IMO, three big circumstances that contributed to the decision to release 2 SKUs:

1) The failure of the previous system tied with the hype for the game. Both BOTW and TP were games with huge amounts of hype releasing late in the life span of a dead console where releasing it to that small of a user base made 0 sense.

2) Change in format/input. The gamecube to wii transition saw a change from standard to motion controls whereas the Wii U to the Switch saw a change from disc to cartridge which I believe helped inform the decision to make two SKUs. If the Switch 2 is backwards compatible and only really has better specs, I don't see Nintendo wanting to invest in a second SKU for what is effectively a performance mode (something to my knowledge Nintendo has never really promoted a game on)

3) They were both Zelda games. Zelda is in a unique space where it is held in incredibly high esteem by hardcore gamers while also having some mainstream potential with more casual audiences (yes, even before BOTW). I really believe a big part of BOTW's success was in appealing to hardcore Nintendo fans, new audiences and most importantly, lapsed gamers in an equal measure that I don't feel any of their other franchises really do (including Metroid).

Considering their recent statement about a June direct and the successor seemingly being a ways out, I am leaning towards Switch 1 only but I would not rule out it being moved to Switch 2. I just don't really think it will be cross gen.

As the (only?) official correct predictor of Switch 2 related items on famiboards, I will tell you that Metroid Prime 4 will launch exclusively on the Nintendo Switch before the release of the Nintendo Switch 2. But like all first party Nintendo Switch games it will be "cross compatible" in the sense that it gets a patch/upgrade to take better advantage of new hardware.

Switch 1 "exclusive", i.e. no Switch 2 specific SKU, but playable on Switch 2 by virtue of backwards compatibility
Seconding this

Can we predict literally anything else about the title.

We've been discussing this for two years.
Here, let's cast our crazy predictions for the subtitle!

My money's on Metroid Prime 4: Unraveling or Metroid Prime 4: Chronos for no particular good reason lol

Probably "cross gen" even if it comes to switch 2 5 months later...?
I could also see it be 1-2 months after a 3d Mario launch on both consoles.
Pure backcompat, no native switch 2 version (and or no extra special patch/ or whatever) is also possible. But I'd bet on a native release too (ala PS5/Xbox cross gen titles). It's easy marketing bucks.
Would be shocked if the switch 1 version no longer exists. Even BOTW/TP got last gen versions.

Last edited:
I am convinced that the Retro teams have already started working on Metroid for the switch 2, but I am convinced that this does not concern Prime 4.

I don't see it being cross gen tbh. The only two times Nintendo has done this in the past had, IMO, three big circumstances that contributed to the decision to release 2 SKUs:

1) The failure of the previous system tied with the hype for the game. Both BOTW and TP were games with huge amounts of hype releasing late in the life span of a dead console where releasing it to that small of a user base made 0 sense.

2) Change in format/input. The gamecube to wii transition saw a change from standard to motion controls whereas the Wii U to the Switch saw a change from disc to cartridge which I believe helped inform the decision to make two SKUs. If the Switch 2 is backwards compatible and only really has better specs, I don't see Nintendo wanting to invest in a second SKU for what is effectively a performance mode (something to my knowledge Nintendo has never really promoted a game on)

3) They were both Zelda games. Zelda is in a unique space where it is held in incredibly high esteem by hardcore gamers while also having some mainstream potential with more casual audiences (yes, even before BOTW). I really believe a big part of BOTW's success was in appealing to hardcore Nintendo fans, new audiences and most importantly, lapsed gamers in an equal measure that I don't feel any of their other franchises really do (including Metroid).

Considering their recent statement about a June direct and the successor seemingly being a ways out, I am leaning towards Switch 1 only but I would not rule out it being moved to Switch 2. I just don't really think it will be cross gen.

Nintendo's actually done it more than twice. Obviously the zelda titles were the biggest deal, but just from the 3DS/Switch transition, even by the strictest definition of having to release at the exact same time, you also had Sushi striker, Fire Emblem Warriors, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, none of which hit your points of the previous system being a failure, major input changes or being massive franchises, and once you loosen the definition a bit to "ported to the next generation of hardware", the list becomes massive. And then, there's all of the black coloured game boy color carts that were playable on both the original game boy lines and in colour on the GBC/GBA line, which was essentially a long list of "cross gen" titles, even if we weren't calling it that at the time.

There's definitely going to be extended support for Switch 1, the only question at this point is whether they try and sell a Switch 2 exclusive SKU like sony does, or let backwards compatibility handle it all.

Primarily a Switch 1 game, but maybe enhanced for Switch 2 if Nintendo go that route.

It's going to be a cross-gen release. There's a lot of things that could explain why we haven't seen it yet, but this is the most likely reason IMO.

The reason we haven't seen it yet is the same reason we haven't seen much of any of the titles for the second half of the year; Nintendo shifted to playing their cards close to their chest and only really talking about games as they were releasing soon.

The reason we haven't seen it yet is the same reason we haven't seen much of any of the titles for the second half of the year; Nintendo shifted to playing their cards close to their chest and only really talking about games as they were releasing soon.
I'm not sure that's a reason to hold out on any updates. We could have seen something by now with a realistic timeframe, to make people that are eagerly awaiting confirmation happy. It's been painful, and it should never have been announced.

It's such a bizarre situation with the reboot and Retro not having released a game in so long, I have no idea

I don't think it would be a good idea to release MP4 right before a new console comes out. This is the kind of game that benefits from coming out right at the start of a console's life cycle, especially if the Switch 2 version has a lot of extra graphical features to show off. And the first year or two of a console tends to be when new console owners are more willing to buy games outside of their typical wheelhouse, while at the end you tend to only buy games you know you'll like

I don't think it would be a good idea to release MP4 right before a new console comes out. This is the kind of game that benefits from coming out right at the start of a console's life cycle, especially if the Switch 2 version has a lot of extra graphical features to show off. And the first year or two of a console tends to be when new console owners are more willing to buy games outside of their typical wheelhouse, while at the end you tend to only buy games you know you'll like
If you want to wow people with the power of the Switch 2, it actually makes much more sense for it to release a few months before the Switch 2.

It the game is also releasing for Switch, the game would ultimately be disappointing as a technical showcase because it would be "cross Gen" rather than a next Gen game. Conversely, if it releases for Switch first and then gets a patch with the release of Switch 2, you have an immediate and obvious of example of how even a recently released Switch game can look thst much better on the Switch 2. It's about expectations, Prime 4 likely looks 'okay' as a Switch 2 game, but could look great as an upgraded Switch game.

As for sales, it is obviously better for it to be presented as a Switch 1 game first. Mario vs DK remake sold 1mil copies on Switch, no need to say more. What you said still applies to Prime 4 if it has a new Switch 2 patch to gain new interest, but the existing Switch user base is so much larger than the Switch 2 launch user base thst it would annihilate any kind of "early adopter advantage" even if Switch 2 wasn't backwards compatible.

Here's what I think in regards of Metroid Prime 4

It's going to be revealed and released prior to showing the Switch 2.
It's getting revealed in June with a release in October

But it's also going to be one of those titles to showcase how much of an upgrade the Switch 2 brings to the table over Switch once they have that event.

I think there's going to be a native Metroid Prime 4 release on Switch 2, but I think it's releasing after the Switch version.

Here's what I think in regards of Metroid Prime 4

It's going to be revealed and released prior to showing the Switch 2.
It's getting revealed in June with a release in October

But it's also going to be one of those titles to showcase how much of an upgrade the Switch 2 brings to the table over Switch once they have that event.

I think there's going to be a native Metroid Prime 4 release on Switch 2, but I think it's releasing after the Switch version.
I agree!!

I mean, if the game is not ready to be released this October/November, then I think they gain more by delaying it and releasing 2-3 months after Switch 2 is out as a cross gen release.

But if it's ready this fall, I don't think they gain much by sitting on it to release it as a cross gen game when they kinda... Have to sell stuff this fall and plan to sell 13m Switch units this FY.

I think they can release Metroid Prime 4 this October, then have it shown in the Switch 2 reveal trailer whenever that comes(much like the OLED reveal trailer had already released games appearing as well as upcoming games) since BC and visual enhancements will be a selling point.

Switch 2 doesn't really need "ports" of Switch games since it's BC, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make some reprints of late Switch titles with the Switch 2 logo alongside Switch logo. Moreso for games that you can use as "visual showcases" with 4K/higher frame rate and games that aren't getting Switch 2 sequels for awhile like Tears of the Kingdom, Splatoon 3, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Only candidate I can see having a "deluxe" version is Smash because that one they can add a ton of new content, a new Fighters Pass and sell as the new Smash like Mario Kart 8 for Switch.

Back
Top Bottom