• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic TIL |ST| Topic of Wisdom

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Welcome to the thread dedicated to TIL! (Today I Learned) This is your daily dose of knowledge and intelligence, where we share our acquired enlightenment.

What did you learn today?

Love the idea for this thread! I have totally fallen off watching baseball this year and yet have read several books about baseball since then. Missed this news last year, but the MLB built big humidor rooms at every Major League ballpark. Evidently a dry ball will sail farther, lending an advantage to teams like, say, Colorado, whose mountain air is dry. Now everyone stores their balls in the humidor, all set to the same average humidity, to "deaden" the drier balls a bit.

I knew this part before today, but did you know that the MLB also buys dredged mud from the Delaware River to rub the sheen off of fresh-made balls before play? What a weird sport.

TIL Canada had their own Mr Rogers called Mr Dressup, who himself was a good friend of Mr. Rogers.

Full disclosure: I only learned about this because of a youtube trailer for an Amazon documentary about him but still, I'll take surprise wholesome regardless of the source.

TIL Canada had their own Mr Rogers called Mr Dressup, who himself was a good friend of Mr. Rogers.

Full disclosure: I only learned about this because of a youtube trailer for an Amazon documentary about him but still, I'll take surprise wholesome regardless of the source.
Mr. Dressup was a national treasure ❤

I have nothing I learned today, but there's still time for me to come back at some point if I do have wisdom to impart from a covid addled brain

Imagine my surprise when I found out that TFW was "That feeling when" and not "The fuck, what?"
I remember it taking me ages to learn what IIRC and AFAIK stood for.

My favorite acronym is "PDOOMA", especially in terms of engineering/math/tech fields. It means "pulled directly out of my ass", as in, "Where'd you come up with this numeric value here, or where are you getting these mechanical forces from?" "Eh, PDOOMA."

Less general knowledge and more specific.
I'm 27 and I realized that by this point in my fathers life, I was 4 years old and starting to retain memory. Which means that my earliest memories with my father were about when he was my age now.
Puts some stuff into context. Am I really glad I don't have children though.

Less general knowledge and more specific.
I'm 27 and I realized that by this point in my fathers life, I was 4 years old and starting to retain memory. Which means that my earliest memories with my father were about when he was my age now.
Puts some stuff into context. Am I really glad I don't have children though.
Yep. Next year I'll be the age my dad was when I was born, and that feels really strange. Especially as I try to figure out where I'm supposed to be in life and am comparing to where he was at this age.
Which is a bit unfair with how the world has changed so drastically, since he bought his first house for like $20k or some shit

Yep. Next year I'll be the age my dad was when I was born, and that feels really strange. Especially as I try to figure out where I'm supposed to be in life and am comparing to where he was at this age.
Which is a bit unfair with how the world has changed so drastically, since he bought his first house for like $20k or some shit
That was a huge point of no return for me, but he also had me when he was 23, so it wasn't that hard to catch up to. Just a matter of... time.
I guess a lot of people's mistakes they made when they were young sorta make more sense to you. Certainly can't undo abusive times, but all the same, understanding them as what would have been a peer of age making choices as opposed to a figure of authority placing down the law is a new feeling. Like, I was seeing a kid visiting the deli, asking a lot of questions like "Is it really 3:54? Have you had that turkey?" and a million other questions like, rapid fire. My first thought was "Why does this child need reassurance that it's 3:54? What changes would that make on HIS day?" and his parental figure was clearly just wanting peace and quiet.
That's the type of stuff I'd do too, though, so I now see it from both sides...or at least, those two, and the side from behind the deli counter.

Back
Top Bottom