• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation This won't end well: Gran Turismo 7 will dynamically adjust the price of specific cars based off their real-life value.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
image-1-11.jpg

Focused on its purpose of saving driving and car culture for future generations, leading automotive enthusiast brand Hagerty announces a global gaming partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment’s Gran Turismo™ 7 available on PS4™ and PS5™ consoles from today. The partnership is an exciting first for Hagerty, which continues its reach into the entertainment world by embedding automotive history, knowledge and access within the game to foster car love for players and Hagerty members.
From epic muscle cars to rally heroes and from Group C Le Mans champions to silver screen legends, the Hagerty Collection has something for every car lover. Players will be able to acquire cars using game progression and in-game credits, with all prices shaped by the Hagerty Valuation Tool. Prices will update throughout the year, based on the changing valuations in real life. Hagerty Valuation Tools® includes more than 15 years of pricing for 40,000 enthusiast cars, trucks, vans and motorcycles from the post-war era to the present.
Putting aside the fact this is probably in here to tie into the fact the game requires an internet connection for most features, even normally offline modes.
The idea of tying prices to the fickle reality of collecting will almost certainly lead to disaster. Imagine a car's price completely cratering IRL because it has poor performance in the game, or a glitch causes the in-game price to be much lower than reality.

There's also another layer to this, if you join Hagerty's membership club for buying expensive cars. You get a free virtual car in Gran Turismo every year. Said membership costs Seventy Dollars per year. Making it more expensive than even the standard Playstation Plus subscription.

The sad thing is there are people who are going to buy into this just like with Star Citizen and other things that shall not be named

Always online to begin with made me not interested. These games require a lot of investment and to have it taken away some day is something I’m not interested in. I’ve been burned on other always online games shutting down too many times.

I would honestly love to know what Gran Turismo enthusiasts have to say about this. From an outside perspective, this is bullcrap.

As long as it doesn't delve into real money I don't see the harm, sounds kinda fun. Emulate the thrill of staking out for a good deal without having to drop actual millions. Car enthusiasts are probably tracking market prices already anyway, seems like a decent way to tie it back into the game for some longer term engagement

Imagine a car's price completely cratering IRL because it has poor performance in the game, or a glitch causes the in-game price to be much lower than reality.
To the first point: in-game prices are dictated by real life prices, not the other way around lol. To the second: so what?

The 'realistic' price is fucked , the reason its done is because old 90's and early 00's cars ,which are fan favorite of your average gran turismo fan, have rose in price during the last decade to a point where they are for wealthy people only nowdays , making this a 'realistic' thing means that fan favorite cars (which should be cheap due to their age at least in-game) become really expensive pushing people to buy microtransactions. Also its worth to mention that cars in general are more expensive now than in past games
pd:its worth to mention than you can buy all cars with in-game transactions they are not locking any car

Can games just be fucking video games? Jesus Christ. Microtransactions are a plague and them getting normalized is a fucking disgrace.

As long as it doesn't delve into real money I don't see the harm, sounds kinda fun. Emulate the thrill of staking out for a good deal without having to drop actual millions. Car enthusiasts are probably tracking market prices already anyway, seems like a decent way to tie it back into the game for some longer term engagement
I mean, this game does have microtransactions.

At least from what I’ve heard that’s just for rich inpatient people. Seems the game throws coins at you very generously?

At least from what I’ve heard that’s just for rich inpatient people. Seems the game throws coins at you very generously?
It does but they have changed some mechanics to make buying credits more desirable (like not being able to sell even if this is kinda justified in-game due to you having to collect the cars and your collection giving you the 'experience')
If you want a car you can grind for it and its not a Battlefront situation though but still seeing this in a game thats now 70$ (in Europe 87$) its still a bad look

I mean, this game does have microtransactions.
Alright then I take it back lol, though it depends on how easy it is to get in-game currency via normal play and how much playtime it would take to get some of these cars. Hopefully not 500 hours or whatever it was to unlock Vader in Battlefront originally

Alright then I take it back lol, though it depends on how easy it is to get in-game currency via normal play and how much playtime it would take to get some of these cars. Hopefully not 500 hours or whatever it was to unlock Vader in Battlefront originally
Apparently if you grind the right races you’re looking at a range of 4 hours to earn enough for the cheapest cars and 50 hours for the most expensive ones.

BUT. But. Get this. Apparently there will be limited time sales for some cars. That super cool Audi might only be available for one week and drats, you might not have the 50 hours to grind for it. Out comes the credit card.

Apparently if you grind the right races you’re looking at a range of 4 hours to earn enough for the cheapest cars and 50 hours for the most expensive ones.

BUT. But. Get this. Apparently there will be limited time sales for some cars. That super cool Audi might only be available for one week and drats, you might not have the 50 hours to grind for it. Out comes the credit card.
Wow am I extra glad I didn’t jump on this nonsense. Shame, these games used to be so good.

Yeah that is fair. When framed that way I can definitely see why it's a negative, and I stand corrected. On top of the other valid point people have brought up about potentially forcing an internet connection. I was lacking some key details when I made my initial assessment and should've looked into it first. I think it's not a big deal for the average player, but it certainly seems designed to prey on the whales/hardcore car enthusiasts.

The cars can't go over the max amount of money of 20 million and I'd probably just treat these cars the same as I treat those gimmicky cars that aren't really used in racing so it doesn't really affect anything. It's just a goofy attempt at being too much of a "simulator."

This is such a dumb idea to actually implement, lol. I have been out of the GT community for years now, but I can't imagine this will go over well.

Would expect the resulting outrage to be big enough for them to revert this decision, but who knows anymore at this point.

And I thought the Forza devs just bullshitting about prices was bad. This is next level stupid.

Wow am I extra glad I didn’t jump on this nonsense. Shame, these games used to be so good.
This and the raised cost of coins compared to GT Sport are pretty bad (especially relying on FOMO with the limited time 'special offers' this is using), but the game itself is good, probably the best it's been since GT3. You're handed out coins pretty freely and the core experience is unaffected.

This and the raised cost of coins compared to GT Sport are pretty bad (especially relying on FOMO with the limited time 'special offers' this is using), but the game itself is good, probably the best it's been since GT3. You're handed out coins pretty freely and the core experience is unaffected.
Yeah Gran Turismo 3 remains my favorite one.

I would honestly love to know what Gran Turismo enthusiasts have to say about this. From an outside perspective, this is bullcrap.

The only current console I own is the Switch, but the first GT7 trailer really made me want a PS5 bad. At this point I think I'll stick to the old games and don't bother. I just want to collect my dream cars and race them offline.

Mmkay sure yeah but can I make the livery ugly hexagonal decals of apes in hats?

Y'know, just so there's absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that I'm a weapons-grade moron?

I picked up Gran Turismo 7 for PS5, it’s the first time I’ve jumped into the series since GT3 and even then my exposure to the series was quite small. I’m not sure how important this would be to the game considering I’ll be more of a casual player of this series, and although the MTX are annoying it doesn’t sound like a big deal to the way I’d play the game.

If you’re trying to collect all the cars the game has to offer that sounds like it’d be a nightmare. Couldn’t you just not bother paying any MTX?

Actually seems kind fo like a neat concept, just like how Microsoft Flight SImulator uses real weather data.

It just doesn't seem very smart in a game if it makes especially popular rare cars hard to get.
Dunno what OP is on about with real life prices cratering because of a cars ingame performance.
99% of car collectors probably don't even know what a Gran Turismo is, I don't think it would be able to affect reality in that way.

I don't really think it's going to be much of a problem if the game gives you daily free cars just like Gran Turismo Sport does.
Didn't really like the whole online only there already.
They patched a campaign into that game after the fact, but it always felt like it played second fiddle.
I don't know what the problem is in having seperate car collections between online and offline.
Especially cause the main online sport races always balanced your cars anyways, so you couldn't even grind up cars for that anyway.

The idea of tying prices to the fickle reality of collecting will almost certainly lead to disaster. Imagine a car's price completely cratering IRL because it has poor performance in the game, or a glitch causes the in-game price to be much lower than reality.

Why would that happen? Game prices shouldn't affect anything IRL; this seems like a completely one-way relationship. The game is just updating to reflect IRL changes, but it wouldn't go the other way.

Yeah, this feels like an own goal on the part of Gran Turismo considering how much more appealing Forza has been getting.
You'd think so, but whaling is entirely in line with SIE's future direction for their business and they seem pretty damn confident that they'll earn a mint from this. Considering their recent earnings suggest that a very significant piece of their revenue is from the cut they get from microtransactions in other PS games, I don't have a lot of hope that people invested in PlayStation as a platform are going to balk at this.

I loved the first Gran Turismo. Then I played Gran Turismo 5. I don’t know when I’ll buy GT7, but it has single player content, that Sport lacked (and the reason I avoided that game). But I don’t like being online reliant.

I luckily don't care about collecting specific cars, but yeah, this seems a bummer.

The game itself is so good, though, so much so that none of the stuff around it that might be unappealing matters to me.

The first part is absolutely not true - a single 10m race is enough for the cheapest cars, if you are looking at 4-5h if you want the million dollar ones (at least in the point of the campaign I'm on, later races pay more)

The limited time stuff is also not quite like that. You can win invitations that let you purchase specific cars within 2 weeks of receiving it, but they're not limited in the sense of "buy it now or you're never getting it again!", you'd just have to wait until winning another for that manufacturer.

Can games just be fucking video games? Jesus Christ. Microtransactions are a plague and them getting normalized is a fucking disgrace.
Stopped hoping for that long ago. I just resigned myself to buy the few games that still try to entertain me instead of blatantly ripping me off.

Always online to begin with made me not interested. These games require a lot of investment and to have it taken away some day is something I’m not interested in. I’ve been burned on other always online games shutting down too many times.
Didn't know this... I was 0 interested but now my interest actually became negative (whatever that means).

How does a game like this needs to be always online?

I want to play the best version ... but I don't want to hold out hope that this comes to PC in 2 years... but I don't want to play the PS4 version... but I don't want to buy a PS5... but I CAN'T buy a PS5... but I want to play this game... But I want to play the best version...
After-Effects-Arrow-34.gif

Last edited:
They should make real cars work like amiibo so if you put your PS5 below your car it unlocks in GT7.

Back
Top Bottom