• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion This is pretty random, but Galaxy 1’s Buoy Base Galaxy has always fascinated me.

Phendrift

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him
Header_for_floating_fortress_header..jpg
This is probably something I wouldn’t be feeling if Galaxy 1 wasn’t my childhood game that I’ve replayed countless times and know inside and out. It’s seriously engrained in my head and I pick out patterns and notice things amongst its various domes, levels, missions, music choices etc.

But this little galaxy has always fascinated me for a couple of reasons. Buoy Base is a “bonus” galaxy (read: not a big 6-Star having “main” galaxy) in the Kitchen Dome. First off, I think it’s a pretty unique setting. A giant floating fortress with a sea of water underneath it. It doesn’t fit the mold of any other Galaxy in the game. It’s not a tropical themed water level like Beach Bowl or Sea Slide. It’s not a spooky water level like Deep Dark, Big Mouth or Bonefin. It also differentiates from most other Galaxies in that they were usually just a collection of platform-like obstacle courses - it is visually striking on its own, complete with a Pokémon reference in the form of a pokeball shaped planetoid at the top!
Ejgt1PKWAAM_p7E.jpg

A second thing that differentiates it is, aside from the starting Gateway Galaxy, it is the only other galaxy in the game to have 2 stars- the main mission where Mario scales the fortress, and a green Star (one of only three in the game) where he dives into the water and emerges on the bottom side of the fortress. This stood out to child me. I always wondered “why this Galaxy?” The other two green stars went toward main galaxies (Battlerock and Dusty Dune, bringing their total to 7). It was always an odd little quirky factoid, it just stood out as super random.

Lastly, of course, is the music. Buoy Base is the only non-main Galaxy to possess its own theme. What’s more? It’s fucking AMAZING. It’s a swelling, dynamic orchestral piece that I view as one of the best amongst Galaxy’s amazing soundtrack. Complete with, of course, an underwater version that only plays when you’re in its small underwater area. Why did this little level get to have a theme all to itself that is so good and iconic-sounding that it could’ve carried not even one, but two main galaxies? Multiple main galaxies even reuse themes amongst eachother. Thankfully, the theme got another use in Galaxy 2 in the second mission of the Space Storm Galaxy, which also takes place on a planet shaped similarly to Buoy Base.

As I got older I wondered - what secrets did Galaxy’s development hold that led to this? Was Buoy Base originally a larger galaxy or part of one? Was it’s theme originally for a larger Galaxy that was scrapped, but they decided to use it here? After combing Mariowiki, evidence does say there are earlier versions of it with different elements, suggesting it did go through changes. But these questions always linger in my mind whenever I play through it in one of my countless Galaxy replays.

It also slightly saddens me that because I don’t replay games or get as into them as much as when I was young, I probably wouldn’t take notes of quirks like this anymore. But I’m happy that all these years later, I still have that childlike sense of wonder theorizing over such an inconsequential part of a game. And it makes me view Galaxy still as so special - 1/60th of the game’s content still leaves that big of an impression on me, and makes me appreciate Nintendo’s sense of detail that such a small portion of the game stands out this much.

This may be a weird read, but I thought it would be fun to post and see what others thoughts are, if they ever had the same questions!

Mario Galaxy 1 had an impeccable sense of atmosphere that I don't think any 3D Mario since has really captured. It really felt like you were exploring the great cosmos. Galaxy 2 moved away from the space aesthetic in a lot of ways and with some exception didn't capture that feeling of big, daunting space as much.

If you're talking 3D platformers with endlessly fascinating beta development and unfinished elements though... that's Banjo-Kazooie for me lol

It really is a highlight within this marvelous game, I agree. Its setting and level design are awesome, but the music is what truly brings it all together in the end and elevates it as one of the best experiences in all of Super Mario games.

It's either a small part of a scrapped level, or one of the many level ideas that the designers got really attached too

Buoy Base is one of my favorite levels in the game. Aided in large part by the incredible theme. But just the concept of scaling a giant fortress and being able to look down where you came from is really appealing to me

Buoy Base is one of my favorite levels in the game. Aided in large part by the incredible theme. But just the concept of scaling a giant fortress and being able to look down where you came from is really appealing to me

Same, the Buoy Base music track is possibly the best Mario music ever. So bombastic

There's reason to believe that some of the single star galaxy planetoids were once part of larger galaxies before being split off as their own thing; Buoy Base included. You can tell from the unused low-poly distance model that the layout changed after the point the model was made obsolete; there's a lot of extra platforms in this iteration.

SMGbetabuoy.png

Galaxy's development doesn't personally interest me as much as SM64 or Banjo-Kazooie, or even Sunshine; but there's a lot of interesting things to look into for sure.

Definitely agree that Buoy Base is a stand-out galaxy though; it has such a unique feeling to it, and the music track is incredible. Now enjoy a Sonic-ized version of that track:

There's reason to believe that some of the single star galaxy planetoids were once part of larger galaxies before being split off as their own thing; Buoy Base included. You can tell from the unused low-poly distance model that the layout changed after it was split up; there's a lot of extra platforms in this iteration.

SMGbetabuoy.png

Galaxy's development doesn't personally interest me as much as SM64 or Banjo-Kazooie, or even Sunshine; but there's a lot of interesting things to look into for sure.

Definitely agree that Buoy Base is a stand-out galaxy though; it has such a unique feeling to it, and the music track is incredible. Now enjoy a Sonic-ized version of that track:

Always loved that sonic remix! I’d theorize based on that pic, maybe it was split off into this section of the Dreadnought Galaxy. Now that I think about it, that’s the closest to “battle station on the water” the game gets besides Buoy Base?
SMG_Ocean_Small_Turtle.png

Mario Galaxy 1 had an impeccable sense of atmosphere that I don't think any 3D Mario since has really captured. It really felt like you were exploring the great cosmos. Galaxy 2 moved away from the space aesthetic in a lot of ways and with some exception didn't capture that feeling of big, daunting space as much.

If you're talking 3D platformers with endlessly fascinating beta development and unfinished elements though... that's Banjo-Kazooie for me lol
Totally agree with that first part, I’d say most 3D Mario’s do what they aim to do tonally, but Galaxy’s tone itself was just so special and a step above the others.

My favourite level in an amazing game, still remember it so vividly over 10 years after I first played it. The music has not left my head in that time either.

wtf I did not know this remix existed. this goes hard

wtf I did not know this remix existed. this goes hard
The true purpose of the Mario & Sonic games for awhile was for Sega’s composers to go hard arranging Mario tracks.

etc.

Always loved that sonic remix! I’d theorize based on that pic, maybe it was split off into this section of the Dreadnought Galaxy. Now that I think about it, that’s the closest to “battle station on the water” the game gets besides Buoy Base?
SMG_Ocean_Small_Turtle.png
That feels like a pretty solid guess, yeah! Pretty much the only other part of the game that somewhat matches up thematically and aesthetically.

Good OP, Buoy Base is a favourite of mine as well. I think it's the perfect size for a galaxy, with some mild exploration under water and a cool linear section above. Aesthetically it's both very Mario and very Galaxy, and I just can't get over how good the texturing work looks for a Wii game.

Mario Galaxy is a top 3 game for me, and I'm usually very critical of 3D Mario games. But they nailed this one - taking the Mario team to Tokyo was a great decision. Having people previously from Square and Sega paid off.

Also it's not a childhood game for me per se, but I'm still in complete agreement with your post ;).

This is one of the biggest reasons why I think Galaxy 1 is better than 2. Second one is a great game and while it absolutely has enough content and new things for a full new game it still kind of feels like a levels pack and I think it is because of what you described. There isn't the feeling of big game universe or story, more like individual levels.

Last edited:

Yeah there is something…i dont know, sort of nostalgic and melancholy about the atmosphere of galaxy one, yet also cinematic and epic in a way that mario almost is never allowed to be. Don't ask me why, but i always choke up at the end of mario galaxy. Its not a particularly deep message or anything, but it is an optimistic one, about the cycle of death and rebirth. Nintendo should really try story telling in mario games again like they did in galaxy, so much great world building, like rosalinas story book

Great OP! This is a deeply atmospheric level for me, too. I really would love to see what Nintendo would do with a new Mario Galaxy game. The 3DW levels themed after Galaxy were such a welcome touch.

According to the Prima Official Guide, Buoy Base was one of the earlier stages the Mario Team worked on, and the one which really solidifies the direction of the game. So even though it is just a "bonus" galaxy in the final game, they probably wanted to make it memorable.

5VsLvuZ.png

qNedUg8.png

This, Battlerock, and Freezeflame were my favorite galaxies in the game! Buoy and Battlerock in particular have grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttt music!

The true purpose of the Mario & Sonic games for awhile was for Sega’s composers to go hard arranging Mario tracks.

etc.

That feels like a pretty solid guess, yeah! Pretty much the only other part of the game that somewhat matches up thematically and aesthetically.

its so criminal they only made like 3 remixes total for tokyo 2020

its so criminal they only made like 3 remixes total for tokyo 2020
An unfortunate casualty of de-emphasising Dream Events in favor of those retro 1964 events. Rio was even more dire if I remember; never played it.

Even continuing my replay, the feeling that I described in the last section of the OP comes back.

Another small galaxy - Bowser Jr.‘s Lava Reactor. If this was a new 3D Mario today, I’d probably think “oh they’re rehashing the Kaliente fight. Neat reuse of assets I guess”

But I still have the feeling I did back as a kid. a giant lava planet with nothing but a few sinking platforms and a broken meteor above it. Surrounded by nothing but pitch black space and a bright white sun far in the distance. a perfect arena for a grand battle with an scarred foe who’s back for vengeance.

It’s so atmospheric to me. Hard to tell if it’s nostalgia or if Galaxy is just that good at having atmosphere in these little places.

According to the Prima Official Guide, Buoy Base was one of the earlier stages the Mario Team worked on, and the one which really solidifies the direction of the game. So even though it is just a "bonus" galaxy in the final game, they probably wanted to make it memorable.

5VsLvuZ.png

qNedUg8.png
Wow.

An unfortunate casualty of de-emphasising Dream Events in favor of those retro 1964 events. Rio was even more dire if I remember; never played it.
Rio ditched dream events, but it still had a bunch of good remixes. As someone who doesn’t actually want to play the games but loves the remixes, Tokyo is definitely a low point in the series

5VsLvuZ.png

qNedUg8.png
Wow, never seen that bottom concept art before. Kinda brings back the feeling of seeing the game for the first time. That's poster worthy!

IMO 3D Mario art direction had a short and spectacular peak with Galaxy. After that it never really resonated with me again. It's much more artistic in a way.

Back
Top Bottom