• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Switch realizes the "ideal Nintendo system" concept better than I would ever have dared hope

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
It occurs to me that the Switch is a single system where you can get:
  • Super Mario
  • Mario Kart
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Pokemon
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Animal Crossing
  • Metroid
  • Fire Emblem
  • Xenoblade
  • Kirby
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Donkey Kong
  • Yoshi
  • Pikmin
  • The Elder Scrolls
  • Civilization
  • XCOM
  • Bioshock
  • Borderlands
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Sonic the Hedhehog
  • Persona
  • Shin Megami Tensei
  • Final Fantasy
  • Dragon Quest
  • Resident Evil
  • Monster Hunter
  • Street Fighter
  • Mega Man
  • Portal
  • Devil May Cry
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • The Witcher
  • FIFA
  • Need for Speed
  • Burnout
  • Castlevania
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Batman
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Tales
  • Ni no Kuni
  • Dark Souls
  • Diablo
  • Overwatch
  • Bayonetta
  • Divinity
  • Nier
  • Danganronpa
  • Life is Strange
  • Streets of Rage
  • Minecraft
  • Rocket League
  • Undertale
  • Stardew Valley
  • Fortnite
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater
  • Disgaea
  • Atelier
  • Monkey Island
  • Steins;Gate
  • Rayman
  • Valkryia Chronicles
  • Advance Wars
  • Ys
  • Prince of Persia
  • The Legend of Heroes
  • Katamari
  • Star Wars
  • Chrono
  • DOOM
  • Wolfenstein
  • No More Heroes
  • NBA 2K
  • MLB The Show
  • The World Ends With You
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Rune Factory
  • Story of Seasons
  • Harvest Moon
  • Dynasty Warriors
  • Metro
  • Saints Row
  • Etrian Odyssey
  • Dying Light
  • Darksiders
  • Oddworld
  • Digimon
  • Bravely Default
  • Super Monkey Ball
There are, for sure, some omissions (Call of Duty, Yakuza, Far Cry, Madden, Battlefield, Mass Effect), but those grow fewer and fewer by the day; and instead we are left with a collective library that I feel might be the closest to the platonic ideal of the "one console where I can play Nintendo games and everything else" notion people have had since the Nintendo 64 days.

Of course, the Switch being what it is, this lineup is staggered by a generation, sometimes two (although there are some hugely impressive current gen ports on it too - hello Witcher 3, Nier Automata, DOOM Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11, Persona 5, Dragon Quest 11, Civilization VI), but even with those caveats, I think the Switch approaches the "ideal" console better than anything else has managed to.

I'm glad you're acknowledging the single best feature of the system: its incredibly broad library of Nintendo/gaming greatest hits.

Future Nintendo hardware that doesn't have backward compatibility will feel immediately lesser for lacking that library.

There’s still a few glaring gaps in the library for me, but yes, Switch is close to the “console where you can play Nintendo games and everything else”. I’m particularly happy about stuff like indies, CRPGs/WRPGs and nostalgic handheld titles gracing the system.

It also helps that in terms of first party output, Switch is handily my favorite out of all their consoles.

Yeah you nailed it in the title of the thread and I definitely feel the same. I remember walking in circles and wondering what a dream case scenario for Nintendo and the franchises would be, and what I dreamed of was actually a pretty conservative view of the Switch(which back then I'd be ashamed of sharing because it was flat out fan fiction).

The amount of software available on Switch(1st & 3rd party), compared to previous Nintendo hardware, is absolutely insane. This past weekend, I was on my home screen and had thumbnails for Diablo II Resurrected, Quake II, Doom(93) and Portal all visible on my screen. I just stared at it for a moment and thought "Damn. I feel like I'm on a PC right now, but this is a freakin' Nintendo console." Craziness! This is why my #1 wish for Switch 2 is complete backwards compatibility, both physical and digital.

I think what's really impressive about the Switch is how it managees to represent almost every Nintendo franchise. It's probably the most comprehensive console since the Gamecube (relative to its era). You have your Pikmins, your Metroids, your Clubhouse Games, and those all have brand new titles too! Not to take away from the third party, because that's just as impressive. But it's crazy Nintendo was able to get amost every series to release a game considering how long development times are nowadays (we're still waiting on DK, Rythm Heaven, and Style Savvy tho...)

My cynical ass probably only has a few true GOATs from Nintendo on the Switch, but it's hard to be disappointed when at this point a good game is just another to add to the pile of good games. And don't even get me started on third party ...

Well it's the perfect handheld with full set of buttons. Sky's the limit.

That said, there are few "holy grail" franchises left for Switch: Call of Duty, Tom Clancy, Yakuza, Tekken , Deus Ex, Soul Calibur, Ace Combat, Mass Effect and Silent Hill. There is still time, Switch is far from dead. It will get as many of those series as possible before it calls it a day. But holy hell, it did get some super unexpected stuff. Gex Trilogy? How the hell?
All that and no iDOLM@STER?

For shame Bamco. For shame.
That one is another "holy grail". Only appeared once on Nintendo systems as that DS game. Other than that, iDOLM@STER is a mainly Playstation focused franchise. For some reason. Playstation is becoming less and less a home to iDOLM@STER. Or anything Namco does exclusively for Japan...

Yes it's the greatest console of all time. I still sometimes look at it and think wtf, then I scroll through my 200+ game library and see all the absolute bangers on there and think WTF!

At this point in time, im in for whatever gets in with legacy software, i have the biggest backlog of any console with it. My only hope is to get the yakuza games on switch the succesor.

Mass Effect is the main third party franchise I’d want on Switch at this point, and it also feels like it comes up a lot because the omission of the trilogy edition just feels baffling.

Still, I agree OP. So much good stuff on Switch, from the first party stuff to big third party ports, from smaller indies to big rpgs. Probably my favourite catalogue ever on a Nintendo console in that the level of breadth is amazing.

Last edited:
eh it has a lot of older stuff at this point but pretty much anything 3rd party bigger than an indie either takes years to come to Switch or just skips it entirely

as far as hot new 3rd party releases that drive hype cycles? I feel like the Switch is probably even more empty in that regard than other Nintendo consoles people didn't think got enough 3rd party releases

Don't get it twisted, it's the culmination of all Nintendo consoles in one:

• detachable controllers like the Wii
  • Wii-U like docking system/connection to TV
  • Portability of Nintendo handheld
  • Cartridges

The only thing it really lacks is Dual Screen and 3D

Yes. Switch is close to perfect. No console comes as close to perfection as Switch (personally).

Nearly every Nintendo Franchise on a little Handheld with huge library of Third- Party titles. All in one box on the go. I have thousand of hours of playtime past me and thousand of hours of gameplay ahead of me.

To make it pitch perfect, release those missing games/ports/ remasters/ remakes. With each release, Switch comes even closer to perfection.

• Metroid Prime 4
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • F- Zero GX
  • Zelda Wind Waker/ Twilight Princess
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Fire Emblem Radiant Saga
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Mass Effect Trilogy
  • Dark Souls Trilogy
  • Tomb Raider Reboot Trilogy
  • Fallout 3/ New Vegas
  • (The fabled yet impossible ports of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Halo Collection)

Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars are a good start. Just needs VB and Pokemon Mini on NSO to receive my stamp of approval

At this point I only hope whatever comes in the future is built on the same platform and Nintendo keeps brining at least their own games on it. Imagine one day being able to download and play any game of their history.

I should remind everyone this: TEKKEN is only franchise present in Smash ultimate but doesn't have any games on Switch. TEKKEN had games on both 3DS and Wii U but not Switch. TEKKEN's genre (3D fighter) is the only genre that's not represented on Switch, as other 3D fighters, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter are also absent on Switch.

This is a grave mistake that needs to be corrected asap.

I should remind everyone this: TEKKEN is only franchise present in Smash ultimate but doesn't have any games on Switch. TEKKEN had games on both 3DS and Wii U but not Switch. TEKKEN's genre (3D fighter) is the only genre that's not represented on Switch, as other 3D fighters, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter are also absent on Switch.

This is a grave mistake that needs to be corrected asap.
I'm so consumed by other genres that I don't play fighting games any more but yeah, I wonder why they never ported Tekken 7. Also if I were Namco I would speak with Nintendo to renew the Link deal and release SC2 on the platform.

Basically: Harada's team is doing well enough with the other consoles that they don't need to port to Switch + old school mindset that Tekken is a mismatch with the Switch demo (yes, that flies against reality)
Imran/ShockingAlberto said they actually tried porting Tekken 7 to Switch but failed.

But not all hope is lost. Tekken remains as the only fighting game series whose older games didn't get official re-releases (except for PS1 classics but they were just emulation). It's in due for a collection/hd-online remaster of some sorts. There are tons of Tekken games waiting to be re-released but personally I'd want PS2 games, Tekken 4 and 5. Played awful lot of these, would jump on day 1 if they are HD remastered with full online modes.

Imran/ShockingAlberto said they actually tried porting Tekken 7 to Switch but failed
Huh, interesting! THEY SHOULD HAVE TRIED HARDER

(Seriously though if that's the case at least put Tekken 8 on Switch 2)

but personally I'd want PS2 games, Tekken 4 and 5. Played awful lot of these, would jump on day 1 if they are HD remastered with full online modes
Know what, I'd settle for a prettied up port of Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Back
Top Bottom