• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion The Spyro trilogy is a masterclass of 3D game design for games aimed at first time players in 3D.

Teaching my young daughter to play this one and everything here is actually absurdly smart as I analyze this game. Spyro 1 was the first game I ever played and I feel how smart it was caused me to play more video games.

Various smart things it does for very young or very new players

1. The first areas have enemies that are actively afraid of Spyro and run away from him so you don't need to worry about even getting owned on like Green Hill or 1-1.
2. The charge and glide moves are not only moves that serve a gameplay purpose and are fun by themselves, but they automatically move Spyro in a straight line forward if a new player is uncomfortable using the left analog stick or D-pad to move around.
3. Plenty of areas with no hazards (at least in the home worlds after Spyro) so players can just move around without risk, enjoying Spyro flying and breathing fire
4. Main objective of each level is so short for the first few levels that even struggling players can eventually clear a level in a reasonable timeframe.

Literally baby's first game, but does it better than pretty much anyone.

Please do not make snarky drive-by posts. - meatbag, Zellia, MissingNo
Josep_Maria_Garc%C3%ADa.jpg

The thing about Spyro 1 that amazed me back in the day not the 3D semi open levels, it was the fully voiced dialogs. Like, 70-80% of the game speech was voiced! This was a pretty unusual thing in those years. Only similar 1997 games were Curse of the Monkey Island and Grim Fandango in that regard. Both PC games.

Spyro basically formed my idea of what a 3D platformer is. Kid me had a blast with it, and the Reignited Trilogy is fantastic.

Got so many fond memories of playing Spyro 1 with my younger sister back in the PS1 era- very rarely did we play videogames together so I think your about it being more engaging for new players.

Really ought to try out that re ignited trilogy sometime, for some reason I never bothered with the series after that first gameā€¦

This thread is kinda convincing me to give these games a try of the first time ever. I do like the developer's next series, Ratchet and Clank from the PS2, so it'd be nice to see how they did prior to those.

I still need to replay 3 in the Reignited Trilogy, but they are super chill and fun collectathons and I would love a Spyro 4 in the vein of the original trilogy.

Was always more of a Spyro kid than a Crash kid.

Back
Top Bottom