• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The sidescrolling action genre (like Dread) could be very good for Nintendo and fans in the future

Kreese

Koopa
Banned
What about a sidescrolling Kid Icarus or Zelda (like a reimagined Zelda 2 or an all new game)?

I think these sidescollers are a good option for Nintendo because Nintendo can offer meaty experiences of franchises we don't see much of that don't have massive development cycles or budgets like BOTW.

I've been dreaming for a Zelda 2 remake for so long as part as an alternative 2D Zelda, but frankly, though I LOVED Kid Icarus when it released back in the day, after playing Kid Icarus Uprising I'm not sure how a 2D Kid Icarus could bring something to the table.
By the way : Nintendo, where's my KIU Switch port ?!

A new 2D Kid Icarus that modernises the gameplay of the original with the cast of Uprising would be a decent way to revitalise the series I reckon. You could potentially have Palutena and the other gods serve the Adam role where they interact with Pit at save points. Hopefully the reception to Metroid Dread encourages Nintendo to take a punt on it

Also, as a Zelda fan who still has not play Zelda 2, I'd be down for a remake of that game too.

If Zelda had more potential in the side scrolling space after Zelda 2, Nintendo would’ve made another one by now. The opportunity cost of creating a side scrolling Zelda and giving up making a top down Zelda (assuming they’d be made by the same team) is just not worth it.

If Zelda had more potential in the side scrolling space after Zelda 2, Nintendo would’ve made another one by now. The opportunity cost of creating a side scrolling Zelda and giving up making a top down Zelda (assuming they’d be made by the same team) is just not worth it.
You're not totally right :

Thus the "remake" thing, to test the waters.
And give it to another studio not named Grezzo so they can still work on a top-down Zelda.

Last edited:
A remake of Zelda II is something that has been on my mind for a long time. It would be nice to see, as I definitely could see some potential in there.

Otherwise, I'm still holding out for a random Ice Climber(s) reboot. I'm surprised they haven't revitalized a lot of the franchises featured in Smash Bros in some manner. All games don't have to be big, after all. They did bring back Excitebike on Wii, for example.

What about a sidescrolling Kid Icarus or Zelda (like a reimagined Zelda 2 or an all new game)?

I think these sidescollers are a good option for Nintendo because Nintendo can offer meaty experiences of franchises we don't see much of that don't have massive development cycles or budgets like BOTW.
Dread itself still took 4 years and as we're learning now had to be reduced in scope. Even sidescrollers aren't really low-budget anymore.

Of course, I suppose anything looks low-budget to Nintendo compared to what BotW has become.

Didn't we get a lot of Nintendo side strollers in the Wii and Wii U era? Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, New Super Mario Bros.. and on 3DS we got Metroid, Pikmin, Chibi-Robo...

Nintendo knows this already. 2D Mario has always sold very well relative to the 3D outings.

Then you have things like Shovel Knight and the work Inti Creates does in the smaller/indie developer space.

Which leads to the question... When's the next Donkey Kong Country Returns?

I always claim that the original New super Mario Bros. on the DS brought 2D Sidescroling back into mainstream.
During the PS2 era we rarely had anything 2D or it was considered low budget.
But I would like to see a new 2D Mario with a new design philosophy, because they are different than 3D Marios just like I wanna have 2D as well as 3D Metroids.

A new top down Zelda would be cool as hell ander after the both fantastic Returns and Tropical Freeze, why not a 3D DK?

Count me in on the Zelda 2 remake gang.

Hell, I'd do one better and say I'd be all for a "ALBW-style" sequel that takes place in the same world, some hundred years or so later.

Maybe THEN we'd find out the truth about Kasuto!

I guess they don’t make as many because 2D action games don’t sell as much as 2D plataformers or 3D action games.

I don’t think those are very good ideas. Dread was well recieved because it was a long awaited sequel to a prestigious series. I don’t think a new side scrolling Zelda would generate much excitement, we already have multiple series out there that are Zelda 2 clones. On top of that we didn’t even get an original 2D Zelda since Minish Cap. People would probably look forward to a new 2D Zelda over a Zelda 2 remake. As for Kid Icarus, I’m honestly not sure how a new sidescrolling one would distinguish itself enough from all of the action platformers out there. I think that after Uprising, fans of that series expect another game in the same style. They could even make it a third person action game with traditional controls

If you look at the reception of the sidescrolling games by Nintendo during the last decade, there’s a very obvious pattern. If they are games that are the first 2D games of their series since many years on home consoles, their announcements will be hyped (NSMBWii, DKCR, Woolly World, etc). If they are games that were announced with no 3D games in-between, their announcements would be met with disappointment or indifference (NSMBU, Tropical Freeze, Crafted World, Star Allies, etc). If they are sidescrolling games in series that were always known for 3D games, they would be met with “who wanted this” (Hey Pikmin, Zip Lash). So Nintendo needs to release their sidescrollers pretty sparingly, after all during their lowest point which was the Wii U/3DS, most of the time when people were indifferent to Nintendo was because too many of their big games were just another sidescroller

Sometimes this is really a bad idea, as it was evident on 3DS: Hey Pikmin and Chibi Robo Ziplash. Unless they have a really talented dev at helm, 2D platforms can go southward.

We need to differentiate between action sidescrollers and 2D platformers.

Dread is a completely different experience and genre than NSMBU.

Back
Top Bottom