• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion The Pikmin fanbase has taken over Times Square

Plum

Tingle
With Pikmin 4 imminent, I thought this would be a fun thing to point out. Basically, there's a billboard in Times Square that lets you pay $40 for 15 seconds or so of anything you want (within reason, of course). A week or so ago, the Pikmin fanbase, and the den of madness that is r/Pikmin, learned of this fact. If you've had any interactions with the Pikmin fanbase, you could guess just exactly what they did with that information:

c53riywcq4cb1.jpg
pikmin-fans-have-taken-over-times-square-for-a-week-v0-5jRnHNiAyMiOdOdss7rghW2nvV7z1BScMYjFX7tNTqc.jpg

So, at $40 each, the Pikmin fanbase has - collectively - spent at least $300 on advertising the game to hapless New Yorkers. All to spread the good word of our saviours, the Pikmin.

To give some more context, the Pikmin fanbase, and r/Pikmin, is... very devoted to the games, and the massive break between the third and fourth entry (ignoring Hey! Pikmin) only made that devotion worse, leading to the kind of crazed fervour that creates things such as the below. All of which are some of the highest-voted posts on the Pikmin subreddit:

pikminmacdonald.png
x0jvsoh64qg41.png

khuc93hm8gk41.jpg
p2auezkpqvj41.jpg

(Warning for the YT Video: Loud Noises. Arlo.)

So, when it came time for an actual new game to release, this is what happened.

I said this before but even Pikmin 3 Wii U sold over a million copies. One thing you can say for certain is the Pikmin fanbase shows up for their games.

The fact that Pikmin has the most crazy and degenerate fanbase of all the Nintendo fanbases tells me there's hope for irony in this community.

It's beautiful.

r/Pikmin is absolutely unhinged in the best way and the idea of them taking over Times Square in any fashion is hilarious.

I believe it. I saw how whipped into a frenzy you all were that year with the flaming Chibi-Robo before the Nintendo Direct.

Fandoms were a mistake

So ready for this game. The Pikmin ip is easily top 3-4 Nintendo ip for me. The games are unlike anything else and it’s pure bliss and a joy to play.

@Skittzo, when Eternal Darkness returns, you know what manner of eldritch madness we must releasr.

I wish the Metroid fanbase were as dedicated.
Be the change you want to see I the world. though it might leave you with a dearth of change left to spend

Must be why Miyamoto said this:

Like a globe? Wouldn't that be Kirby?

Xenoblade fans, you know what we need to do.
the type of videos that they'd try to put up would be restricted to 18+
I'm pretty sure this is the Famiboards origin story.

i hope the Pikmin fanbase figures out how to project content on that giant television sphere which was powered on in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.
GettyImages-1516402404-e1688754631226.jpg

The fact that Pikmin has the most crazy and degenerate fanbase of all the Nintendo fanbases tells me there's hope for irony in this community.
i'm still haunted by that unhinged and incredibly NSFW thread someone posted on here recently. (which was immediately locked and had it's title removed)

OP, why would you think New Yorkers would be in Times Square?
I said this before but even Pikmin 3 Wii U sold over a million copies. One thing you can say for certain is the Pikmin fanbase shows up for their games.
Wii U owners were desperate for games when Pikmin 3 came out. I know cause it’s the only reason I got it. Never played a Pikmin before. Ended up being one of my favorite games, but still.
Must be why Miyamoto said this:

Honestly, Miyamoto comes off more unhinged in that interview than any other Pikmin fan.

Miyamoto: I’ve been saying for a long time that Pikmin games tend to stand out due to their world and characters, but I think they're also interesting as a game genre. Furthermore, I want people to have this real sense that Pikmin are all around us, that they aren't just fantasy creatures. Pikmin have no set age or nationality. They have a unique presence as creatures that exist somewhere on Earth. That's not the case with Mario. We know he's of Italian descent in The Super Mario Bros. Movie, but it’s not like you can bump into him walking down the street, because he lives in the world of Mario. (Laughs) In fact, I consider Pikmin to be Nintendo’s most global characters. Since the promotional campaign we launched over ten years ago, we've been saying, “Pikmin are all around us.” I think we've finally reached a point where people can find Pikmin in various places, not just in their imaginations. I hope more and more people become aware of Pikmin and play Pikmin games…
…..I'd be thrilled if Pikmin cropped up in everyday conversation, like, “I wonder if Blue Pikmin will come out if it rains,” or “Do you think there are lots of Pikmin in Nintendo's headquarters?”

He’s seeing Pikmin all around him!

Honestly, Miyamoto comes off more unhinged in that interview than any other Pikmin fan.

(quote)

He’s seeing Pikmin all around him!
Miyamoto actively trying to start a new religious movement wasn't on my bingo card

Back
Top Bottom