• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro the original PC port of the first Resident Evil has finally been re-released thanks to GOG, 2 & 3 are planned to be added later.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

(link)

this is what the PEGI rating from a few days ago was for.
prior to this, the only way to officially get the game on modern hardware was by subscribing to Playstation Plus Premium, as it was one of the few classic titles on that service that couldn't be purchased separately.

alongside the expected tweaks to ensure the game works on current versions of Windows. the store page also notes that the release is completely uncensored, owing to the fact the FMV cutscenes on Playstation were constantly changed across the various regions. with no particular build having all of them unedited.

I’m genuinely surprised this isn’t on Switch.

Since Switch users love playing old shit.
But hopefully these ports are successful, which means more ports of older titles.

Shame the Switch was too weak to run this. After Kingdom Hearts being cloud only, I guess it really is too weak for PS1 games natively also. Might be a RAM issue or something with the shaders?

To people asking about Switch ports: people on Era are saying that the RE1 port (and presumably 2+3) was done by GOG themselves, so it seems quite unlikely it will be ported anywhere else unless Capcom decides to make a bespoke remaster.

Waiting until people get these up and running on Steam Deck perfectly before I purchase but I’m glad this exists. Really surprised Capcom never released this collection itself everywhere

For those not in the know GOG likely did all the legal and port work to bring it to their store. They do this a few times a year where they untangle a legal mess around an old pc game and get it running on modern systems. It’s likely the only role Capcom played was giving the green light.

So I’m saying don’t get your hopes up for further ports. Unless these sell a gabillion copies and Capcom decides to do the work themselves, these will probably stay GOG exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom