• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News the online servers for "STEEL DIVER SUBWARS" have been shut down, over 3 months ahead of the 3DS/Wii U shutdown schedule.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
Starting on Sep. 4, 2023, we performed emergency maintenance for the Steel Diver: Sub Wars game, which released on Feb. 14, 2014 for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the game’s online services after being unable to restore them.

Thank you for playing Steel Diver: Sub Wars.
this was quietly added to Nintendo's support page a few days ago. the game is notable for being one of Nintendo's early free to play experiments alongside Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, and is part of a series that originated as a tech demo for the Nintendo DS itself (though a commercial version of the title wouldn't happen until the launch of the 3DS)

notably, the initial server closure announcement for all 3DS/Wii U games noted that in cases where "an event that would make it difficult to continue online services" happened. said servers would go down early.
this seems to be one of the few (and hopefully the only) games to be affected by that.

I feel bad for the handful of people who were hoping to get one more match in before the servers officially went down.

this was quietly added to Nintendo's support page a few days ago. the game is notable for being one of Nintendo's early free to play experiments alongside Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, and is part of a series that originated as a tech demo for the Nintendo DS itself (though a commercial version of the title wouldn't happen until the launch of the 3DS)

notably, the initial server closure announcement for all 3DS/Wii U games noted that in cases where "an event that would make it difficult to continue online services" happened. said servers would go down early.
this seems to be one of the few (and hopefully the only) games to be affected by that.

Aw D:

I remember sinking (he he he) a lot of time into this one when it released. Lots of playing online in bed before sleep.

OST was quite nice, too. I remember the menu song having the dynamic music variations as you moved between submenus Nintendo used to do a lot back then.

Hoping Steel Diver 99 is a thing someday.

Let's be realistic here, who in 2024 would want to play Steel Diver: SubWars?

Answer: me. When I read that Nintendo was going to shut down the servers, I made a mental list of 3DS games I'd like to play online, and only two came to mind: Uprising, which I had enjoyed back in the day, and SubWars, which I've always wanted to try... sooner or later. Alas, that's gone.

I also have TriForce Heroes and Federation Force to play, but I'll resort to local multiplayer for them.

Me looking nervously at the online blast ball league we have and how the last game is in march (we only do it for the lulz and to make mad a friend because he hate federation forces exists but still....)

pT5u8q9.gif

This game is a lot of fun. Had some great times with it at StreetPass meetups. Sucks that online is gone now, but the game features local wireless too, so fortunately not all is lost!

Guess I'll have have to make do with collecting a couple more crew members in the single-player and pretend I'm online.

Loved this game back in the day. It's a shame that there's nothing really quite like it. For some reason arcadey submarine sims just kinda seem to have died out. There's some sims out there still but those go way too in-depth in terms of accurate simulation, which ends up dropping the fun factor. (Basically the difference between Ace Combat and Microsoft Flight Simulator).

The single player campaign was great fun though.

This was my first (and the only physical!) game i had for the 3DS and i used to love it with my whole heart. It was really fun, it is sad to see it go like this. Weird they "couldn't" keep the servers up for a bit more. I lasted a good almost-decade.

This was my first (and the only physical!) game i had for the 3DS and i used to love it with my whole heart. It was really fun, it is sad to see it go like this. Weird they "couldn't" keep the servers up for a bit more. I lasted a good almost-decade.

You'd be thinking of the original Steel Diver if you're talking about a physical cart, Sub Wars was the eShop only sequel 🤔

At least we still have local play. But at the same time it’s really sad to see the 3ds go out like this. So many fun experiences like this are just vanishing into the ether in a sense. At least we have emulation.

Fuck, i've been playing this at least once per week as part of my nightly gaming sessions. Lately it was a bot wasteland but someone would still connect here and there.

It's a real shame how underrated this game was, probably the most fun i've had online with my 3DS, and the most impressive underwater 3D effect in the console.

This is one of the games that Pretendo had running already, so there's still that.

Back
Top Bottom