• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion THE NORTHMAN - Official Trailer - Starring Alexander Skarsgård, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicole Kidman, and Willem Dafoe

Dragoncaine

Jubilant Mask Vendor
Pronouns
He/Him

"From visionary director Robert Eggers (The Witch, The Lighthouse) comes THE NORTHMAN, an action-filled epic that follows a young Viking prince on his quest to avenge his father’s murder. With an all-star cast that includes Alexander Skarsgård, Nicole Kidman, Claes Bang, Anya Taylor-Joy, Ethan Hawke, Björk, and Willem Dafoe."

I've been eagerly awaiting an update on this movie for quite some time, and I'm thrilled that it looks GLORIOUS. What do y'all think? Are you a fan of Eggers' previous directing work?

Damn, didn't expect something as action heavy as this from him after The VVitch and The Lighthouse (which I both loved) but it looks excellent. Really looking forward to this.

Damn, didn't expect something as action heavy as this from him after The VVitch and The Lighthouse (which I both loved) but it looks excellent. Really looking forward to this.
Same here. It could be a case of Focus Features putting its best foot forward to try to sell tickets and gain mainstream interest, but there's no denying that it looks visually spectacular and impressively directed. That cast is to die for, too. I'll watch anything Eggers makes at this rate.

Did you see The Witch or The Lighthouse?

Same here. It could be a case of Focus Features putting its best foot forward to try to sell tickets and gain mainstream interest, but there's no denying that it looks visually spectacular and impressively directed. That cast is to die for, too. I'll watch anything Eggers makes at this rate.

Did you see The Witch or The Lighthouse?

Yeah, as I wrote, I loved both. The Witch was a nice surprise that I had no expectations for whatsoever and found it incredibly engrossing. I usually don't do horror but even though I don't think it's all that scary in the traditional sense, it's very unsettling in the best way possible. Consequently my expectations for The Lighthouse were set high and Eggers somehow managed to meet and exceed them as well. My girlfriend didn't enjoy either so I know that his work is not for everyone but I'm a big fan of his.

I still have to see both VVitch and Lighthouse, but this does look mighty impressive too! Love Anya-Taylor Joy

I am very excited for this, VVitch I was not super into but Lighthouse was A+ cinema. Can't wait

Looks up my alley. However it has Anya Taylor Joy, so fuck her for contributing to stereotypes Americans have about us South Americans. Guess that’s what happens when someone who is South American doesn’t actually get to live in South America and sadly also gets her knowledge from American TV most likely.

Quoted by: VHS
Looks up my alley. However it has Anya Taylor Joy, so fuck her for contributing to stereotypes Americans have about us South Americans. Guess that’s what happens when someone who is South American doesn’t actually get to live in South America and sadly also gets her knowledge from American TV most likely.
Can you give more info on this? first time hearing anything

Can you give more info on this? first time hearing anything
So this is from my perspective as an immigrant into the U.S., but it is a common sentiment from my South American friend circles, family, and gaming forums. But, we notice North Americans think we just popped out of nowhere or are a race of people or some homogeneous group. Where the reality is that we are no more of a race than saying being from the U.S. is a race. If that makes sense? We are very diverse racially, culturally, ethnically, even religiously. Much like the U.S. and Canada, we are the products of Spanish and Portuguese colonization, immigration from all over the world, the native people, and of course the ugly secret many outsiders tend to whitewash, our own shameful history of African slavery.

End of story, we are diverse.

So when Queens Gambit came out, I was "cool, someone from latin america in a prominent role". But then she did this interview which she said she will not take any roles where a person is "latina" (a term I despise BTW) because she does not look like one.

And me and my friends all did a collective groan, because what the fuck does that mean? Yes, you do. There is no fucking look. How little do you know of the continent and its population? Stop pushing america-centric stereotypes of of we are suppose to look.

I am sephardic through my dad. And I have gotten so many times in this country that I don't look like I came from Venezuela, I look I am from Lebanon or Israel or "are you really from there, you look like you could be Italian". And I am like, what the fuck? First of all, Venezuela has some of the best Lebanese food outside of actual Lebanon, so fuck off, cause Lebanese-Venezuelan cuisine is awesome.

Anyway, that is my mini rant from the eyes of an immigrant to the U.S. lol

Yeah, as I wrote, I loved both. The Witch was a nice surprise that I had no expectations for whatsoever and found it incredibly engrossing. I usually don't do horror but even though I don't think it's all that scary in the traditional sense, it's very unsettling in the best way possible. Consequently my expectations for The Lighthouse were set high and Eggers somehow managed to meet and exceed them as well. My girlfriend didn't enjoy either so I know that his work is not for everyone but I'm a big fan of his.
Ah damn, missed when you said that the first time (day 1 of having the COVID booster has me kinda out of commission haha), but I'm glad you loved them!

I'm with you, The Witch has superb atmosphere but The Lighthouse is a great evolution for Eggers as a filmmaker imo.
So this is from my perspective as an immigrant into the U.S., but it is a common sentiment from my South American friend circles, family, and gaming forums. But, we notice North Americans think we just popped out of nowhere or are a race of people or some homogeneous group. Where the reality is that we are no more of a race than saying being from the U.S. is a race. If that makes sense? We are very diverse racially, culturally, ethnically, even religiously. Much like the U.S. and Canada, we are the products of Spanish and Portuguese colonization, immigration from all over the world, the native people, and of course the ugly secret many outsiders tend to whitewash, our own shameful history of African slavery.

End of story, we are diverse.

So when Queens Gambit came out, I was "cool, someone from latin america in a prominent role". But then she did this interview which she said she will not take any roles where a person is "latina" (a term I despise BTW) because she does not look like one.

And me and my friends all did a collective groan, because what the fuck does that mean? Yes, you do. There is no fucking look. How little do you know of the continent and its population? Stop pushing america-centric stereotypes of of we are suppose to look.

I am sephardic through my dad. And I have gotten so many times in this country that I don't look like I came from Venezuela, I look I am from Lebanon or Israel or "are you really from there, you look like you could be Italian". And I am like, what the fuck? First of all, Venezuela has some of the best Lebanese food outside of actual Lebanon, so fuck off, cause Lebanese-Venezuelan cuisine is awesome.

Anyway, that is my mini rant from the eyes of an immigrant to the U.S. lol
This is really enlightening, I had no idea Anya Taylor-Joy gave an interview where this topic was brought up, and her subsequent response. Thanks for bringing it to our attention

Ah damn, missed when you said that the first time (day 1 of having the COVID booster has me kinda out of commission haha), but I'm glad you loved them!

I'm with you, The Witch has superb atmosphere but The Lighthouse is a great evolution for Eggers as a filmmaker imo.

This is really enlightening, I had no idea Anya Taylor-Joy gave an interview where this topic was brought up, and her subsequent response. Thanks for bringing it to our attention

And like I shouldn’t be too mad, cause she’s young and then moving to England and then America, she may only know what that media tells her, but at the same time, I felt let down. My post comes off more grr grr than it should. Mostly just peeved.

Not gonna lie... I think it looks a bit generic. I love Medieval history (enough to get a degree in it), but another "noble's revenge" story just feels tired and the general visual language has been done before. I'm ready to be won over by it, though.

Not gonna lie... I think it looks a bit generic. I love Medieval history (enough to get a degree in it), but another "noble's revenge" story just feels tired and the general visual language has been done before. I'm ready to be won over by it, though.
This definitely stands to be Eggers' most accessible, straightforward movie yet - for better or worse. Let's see which side of the coin we land on come April :)

Back
Top Bottom