• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Next Gen Nintendo Hardware and UI Ideas Thread

lexony

Kremling
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
With the the next Nintendo console seemingly being announced soon... well soonish a lot of people already like to imagine how the next hardware will look like.
So this thread should be a place where you can share your ideas or those of other people with too much time (Regardless if they are doing it for attention, at the end of the day it's always fun to look at them)

You can share renderings, 3D Mockups, pictures or just describe your idea in text form. While being realistic, be imaginative. It doesn't have to be something what Nintendo is likely doing next.
Or if you have no ideas at all, maybe you found some old or new concept you'd like to share.

I will start with my "idea" of an UI idea I was sketching out a bit yesterday:
PzCz2yp.jpg

I know it's not that imaginative but I think you get the idea.
What do you think?
Anyway I hope you like the idea of this thread and I'm looking forward to see some old and new stuff :)

Minimalism & flat design delenda est.

627220-SwitchUI2021.jpg

Something like this would be nice. I mainly want folders and a return to the 3DS/Wii U grid pattern, just shows more information.

I don’t have any mock-ups on-hand (nor the talent to make them!) but I think there are a few things I can bet on:

-Game Tiles will continue to be 1:1 squares
-While I don’t necessarily think the UI has to be the exact same, I do believe it’ll be more similar to the current Switch than different.
-I think their priority, above all else, will be to keep it extremely speedy.
-I think, with more RAM/processing power, UI themes (a la 3DS) will make a comeback without sacrificing speed.

-I think their priority, above all else, will be to keep it extremely speedy.
-I think, with more RAM/processing power, UI themes (a la 3DS) will make a comeback without sacrificing speed.
Yeah it's 2023, systems like the PS4 prove you can have a speedy UI that doesn't look like a shitty Google homepage
05__2_

The Switch's UI isn't this bad, but it's in the same region.

Last edited:
With the the next Nintendo console seemingly being announced soon... well soonish a lot of people already like to imagine how the next hardware will look like.
So this thread should be a place where you can share your ideas or those of other people with too much time (Regardless if they are doing it for attention, at the end of the day it's always fun to look at them)

You can share renderings, 3D Mockups, pictures or just describe your idea in text form. While being realistic, be imaginative. It doesn't have to be something what Nintendo is likely doing next.
Or if you have no ideas at all, maybe you found some old or new concept you'd like to share.

I will start with my "idea" of an UI idea I was sketching out a bit yesterday:
PzCz2yp.jpg

I know it's not that imaginative but I think you get the idea.
What do you think?
Anyway I hope you like the idea of this thread and I'm looking forward to see some old and new stuff :)
please Nintendo for Hylia sake, add themes/folders for your next hardware, i tired at looking at my black theme UI

For all the people requesting folders, in this thread and in others, what would they bring that the Switch's groups don't already bring? In fact with groups you can add games to several groups at once instead of the typical folder structures of other consoles, so wouldn't a typical folder system be a downgrade? Is it just that you want the folders immediately viewable upon bootup without needing the three quick button presses to view them?

As for the differently formatted icons I keep seeing in some mockups, why on earth would you want to complicate things and force everyone to redesign their icons for a new system? Sometimes even with extra logos outside the icon itself, or custom animations... Considering how many developers can't adhere to Nintendo's basic icon style guide as is, I can't imagine what a shitshow it could be

For all the people requesting folders, in this thread and in others, what would they bring that the Switch's groups don't already bring? In fact with groups you can add games to several groups at once instead of the typical folder structures of other consoles, so wouldn't a typical folder system be a downgrade? Is it just that you want the folders immediately viewable upon bootup without needing the three quick button presses to view them?

As for the differently formatted icons I keep seeing in some mockups, why on earth would you want to complicate things and force everyone to redesign their icons for a new system? Sometimes even with extra logos outside the icon itself, or custom animations... Considering how many developers can't adhere to Nintendo's basic icon style guide as is, I can't imagine what a shitshow it could be
I think Groups should be more visible in some form right from the home screen. At the moment they are kinda useless as a discovery feature. Nintendo could also do different views of the games not just sorted by most recent. Also you can have your games in categories/tags also on Steam and I think xbox.

I'd like the UI to be
  • fast
  • output at whatever resolution screenshots can be taken in
  • to have a faster, better organised EShop
  • to have some personality, like Wii U/3DS did
  • to look a little fancier than the Switch
  • The "nice water" guy back
Hardware
  • Ethernet Port (looks to be a given)
  • Quiet (also looks to be a given)
  • Pro Controller with better triggers and some colour, coloured buttons like the Gamecube, so bored of dull monochrome

Back
Top Bottom