• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion The most likely feature for generation 10

omniryu

Koopa
Pronouns
He/him
I truly believe the most likely feature for the next generation Pokémon games will be a double down on the co-op. It was great the last two gen, but it is well below its potential. Edit: the reason why I believe this is that co-op is more accessible than the competitive side of Pokémon. I have beaten over half of all main Pokémon and I still can barely win one game... I don't even remember if I did. I do feel a lot of people feel like that.

Here are the guarantees:
  • Double or team battle with co-op partner(s)
  • Something more than a raid. Maybe the raid will still be there but they have to ramp it up.
  • Battling your friends in the open world.
  • Same as trading.
  • Voice chat.
Here are the uncertain things but at least one has be certain:
  • More than 4 players. Some you can battle, as is, like in Scarlet and violet. Single player or team vs team.
  • Team/double gym storyline
  • Fighting both the enemy gang storyline. Kinda like in ruby and sapphire.
  • If not more than 4 players, we will be able to download ghost data (and their trainer avatar) and battle against them. So it is constantly refreshed and User Generated Content.

Last edited:
it's Game Freak. nothing is guaranteed. they took out features that were well received before
The battle tower? Well, I think that's different. I see co-op as an addition to multiplayer mode. Battle tower is a post game content so I see why it has to be different.

It is like transportation mode, right? We had it straight since gen 1 but each time it is different. I think coop will be there but it will be different. I am not sure if I explained it correctly.

I feel like it's hard to make Pokémon's single-player engaging for couch co-op when technical restraints force the second player to accompany the primary player; Game Freak can barely get SV to run with one player on-screen, they'd be first in line to make the Switch 2 melt if they tried to get split-screen working. You can put two players with different save files into the same world in SV, but that ends up being more so players can find version-exclusives than any kind of real co-op.

It might make more sense for something like a Legends game, if one player can collect and use items in the overworld while the other player battles with Pokémon. Most of the complexity in Pokémon tends to be in planning team composition and battle strategy, which doesn't lend itself as well to having another player assisting in the game world, but there may be a stronger case for it if the overworld becomes more interactive.

I just want them to put any emphasis on double battles ever. They were cool from Gen 3 to Gen 5 and then they decided to never give them any attention ever again.

...hold on I'm getting a call from Bulbapedia.

In Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, every Trainer at Blueberry Academy (excluding [I'm deleting this part in case it's a spoiler]) is exclusively fought in a Double Battle.

Okay, so they were cool from Gen 3 to Gen 5 and then they locked all the good double battle content behind a £31.49 DLC (technically £15.74ish but you can't buy it seperately) for a £49.99 game, for a grand total of £81.48. I don't know if that's worse.

I just want them to put any emphasis on double battles ever. They were cool from Gen 3 to Gen 5 and then they decided to never give them any attention ever again.

...hold on I'm getting a call from Bulbapedia.

Okay, so they were cool from Gen 3 to Gen 5 and then they locked all the good double battle content behind a £31.49 DLC (technically £15.74ish but you can't buy it seperately) for a £49.99 game, for a grand total of £81.48. I don't know if that's worse.
I always wanted them to do a game that is entirely double battles. There are so many cool moves that work well in double battles that just don't make sense to use because it is such a small part of the game.

I believe they're going to reinvent Pokemon, the way that the Zelda developers did after they started getting more complaints about the way the series was going. Corporate goons aren't good for much, but they can see which way the wind is blowing, when damage is being done to their IP. They've got something special planned.

I always wanted them to do a game that is entirely double battles. There are so many cool moves that work well in double battles that just don't make sense to use because it is such a small part of the game.
Right? They're such a cool idea but they never got the attention they deserved. So many cool strategies and synergies are completely pointless because you're going to get maybe ten double battles in a given game, they're all going to be optional, and they're all going to be too easy to bother strategising for.

Ideally there'd be 16 gym leaders per game, 8 for single battles and 8 for double battles. But Game Freak are deathly allergic to anything that might even remotely sound like taking notes from Gen 2.

A game where you control a party in battle in single player, but then other players can be in your party in co-op multiplayer. That could be pretty cool.

I don't get why people think that Double Battles are the future of Pokemon. I don't think they are, nor do I think GameFreak perceives it like that, and I assume they've never received inputs for that, especially after the Shadow Pokemon games. The Blueberry Academy having Double Battles as a feature is no indication of the future of Pokemon, but rather the DLC's unique selling point.

That said, Generation 10 can keep iterating and evolving on what Scarlet/Violet and Legends Arceus had going. The Gen9 games are very good games, just that the technical difficulties it has take them down a lot in terms of perception. Both Legends and the Paldea games are phenomenal evolutions of the Pokemon formula, but some of their cons make them get a degree of hate.

--------

What I'm trying to say it: GameFreak doesn't need to reinvent or shake-up the formula a lot. What they had going with Legends and Paldea was good, they only need to optimize whatever they end up doing.

I don't get why people think that Double Battles are the future of Pokemon.
It's the format used for VGC and we've seen The Pokémon Company push competitive play more and more over the past decade, which is why so many mechanics are introduced that don't do anything in Singles.

I don't get why people think that Double Battles are the future of Pokemon. I don't think they are, nor do I think GameFreak perceives it like that, and I assume they've never received inputs for that, especially after the Shadow Pokemon games. The Blueberry Academy having Double Battles as a feature is no indication of the future of Pokemon, but rather the DLC's unique selling point.
One, multiplayer has always been a big staple of Pokémon. It is one of the reason why it is the biggest RPG franchise in the world. By double battles, I meant team battles, you and a friend(s) go against another team. Two, the trend is multiplayer is a huge factor in playtime. You can only do so much with NPC. Which is why raid is good but adding more players to the mix will add longevity to user's play session.

That said, Generation 10 can keep iterating and evolving on what Scarlet/Violet and Legends Arceus had going. The Gen9 games are very good games, just that the technical difficulties it has take them down a lot in terms of perception.
If you look into the future hardware thread and what's been researched, gamefreak has way more than enough room to fix those technical difficulties.

feel like it's hard to make Pokémon's single-player engaging for couch co-op when technical restraints force the second player to accompany the primary player; Game Freak can barely get SV to run with one player on-screen, they'd be first in line to make the Switch 2 melt if they tried to get split-screen working. You can put two players with different save files into the same world in SV, but that ends up being more so players can find version-exclusives than any kind of real co-op.
I realized that having split screen co-op is exponentially (not literally) more difficult to do them separately hardware co-op. I also notice that if you can see the sky, you're not likely to get split screen co-op. I am not saying it isn't possible but most co op now tend to be top down camera (balder gate 3, pokemon let's go, Diablo series). Pokémon gen 10 would need to have the same graphical fidelity as SV to have true split screen co-op. By same fidelity I don't mean same framerate either. Also, the environment texture, I assume would be approved.

I would like a smaller, but more dense open
World. I also want them to bring back the catching mechanics, stealth, and sense of danger found in legends arceus. I liked that the player could take damage

Mega Charizard Z-A
ricky-bobby.gif

I would like a smaller, but more dense open
World. I also want them to bring back the catching mechanics, stealth, and sense of danger found in legends arceus. I liked that the player could take damage
Stealth was still in SV, it wasn't as emphasize as LA. Can you clarify what you mean on catching? Like catching without a battle? Sure! However, if you mean catching multiple times like let's go.....uh... no.

As far as smaller, i think for any other series, maybe, but not for Pokémon. It really doesn't fit, you need different environments. It is a simulated world of our and I think you need vast sprawling lands.

Stealth was still in SV, it wasn't as emphasize as LA. Can you clarify what you mean on catching? Like catching without a battle? Sure! However, if you mean catching multiple times like let's go.....uh... no.

As far as smaller, i think for any other series, maybe, but not for Pokémon. It really doesn't fit, you need different environments. It is a simulated world of our and I think you need vast sprawling lands.
I mean the catching mechanics from legends, where you can catch without going into Battle with a higher emphasis on stealth and strategy

Back
Top Bottom