• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Film The Matrix is still fire

Vanillalite

Bob-omb
Doing a rewatch before the new one drops. Finished the first one on HBO Max and the movie is still pure fire. The opening is cool AF. The mystery even if you know is still cool. Neo fighting Morpheus in the training program is still as bad ass as it ever was.

Sure the special effects might feel dated, but the helicopter scene is still hype and the ending when Neo figures it all out is 11/10 let’s goooo.

Going start Reloaded tonight, and I’ll report back. Been a minute since I’ve seen any of these movies so cool to see if I think if they hold up.

Rewatched it recently as well. My girlfriend had only seen it in bits and pieces over the years and she wanted to finally see it in its entirety. Fully agreed with everything you said. We both enjoyed it immensely and my girlfriend developed a crush on Trinity. Can recommend.

The first film holds up very well, I think it's a genuine classic.

I still need to get around to rewatching the sequels, I'm curious how they are. I remember enjoying Reloaded for the action at the very least.

Yup, last time i checked The Matrix is still one of the best movies ever made. To this day some scenes continue giving me chills, like Smith's speech and then the lobby shootout (Those sound Oscars were well deserved).

The sequels still hold up, me thinks, some of the SFX suck today and they sucked back then especially in Reloaded, but still great.

Last edited:
Not sure what this thread is referring to, so could someone tell me... what is the matrix?

4e35f1f4ba6bc748fe517ca62e354dac.gif

The original movie is a top 5 for me, it gets better with age. I plan to rewatch it and the sequels (which I haven't seen since release) for the new one.

Probably the single most influential action film of the last three decades.

I'll also go to bat for Reloaded. While it could never match the original in terms of innovation, the way it reshapes the events of the previous film is a fantastic bit of storytelling

The fact that the rebellion against the system is revealed to be dictated on terms set up by the system feels more timely now than it ever has. The reveal that there have been several Zions is just chef's kiss

Also, that freeway chase.

Probably the single most influential action film of the last three decades.

I'll also go to bat for Reloaded. While it could never match the original in terms of innovation, the way it reshapes the events of the previous film is a fantastic bit of storytelling

The fact that the rebellion against the system is revealed to be dictated on terms set up by the system feels more timely now than it ever has. The reveal that there have been several Zions is just chef's kiss

Also, that freeway chase.
Oh you mean the freeway chase that they literally built their own goddamn freeway for so they could film it (mostly) practically and still have complete control of the stunts? That freeway chase? 😁

Yeah, it's one of the best films ever made. Gorgeous cinematography, amazing score, classic screenplay. I could watch it forever. The best live-action anime film to ever be created.

Overrated as fuck. Rented it when it first came out on dvd. Didn't care for it.

Animatrix is the only good thing about the franchise.

The first Matrix is genuinely good. 2 and 3 aren't really what I think what most people expected, or wanted really. On the plus side, I can't fault the ambition of what they were trying to do. And it's better to aim high and miss than to make some identikit sequel.

The first movie is a classic, I just really recoil at the red pill culture it generated.

Trailer 2 just dropped! (Heads up, might be considered spoiler-y )

I genuinely think they should've kept this trailer short without lots of the scenes shown because I'm certain seeing some of these parts in the trailer first in a packed theatre would've been so freaking effective to make it a shared experience en public.

I genuinely think they should've kept this trailer short without lots of the scenes shown because I'm certain seeing some of these parts in the trailer first in a packed theatre would've been so freaking effective to make it a shared experience en public.
Well that seals it, I'm avoiding the hell out of this trailer.

So will 2 and 3 be required? Still only ever seen the original... Once... Two years ago... In theaters...

I also rewatched the original recently and can confirm it holds up. I was planning on watching 2 and 3 before the new one comes up, but I doubt that's gonna happen. I've only seen them once, in theaters. I'm sure I'll be fine to jump right into 4. Looking forward to it!

I believe in Lana Wachowski and that she is showing us what she is intending with this trailer thematically (Different to other trailers that spoil big surprises in order to flock people to cinemas ). The opportunity for an awesome shared experience is still there.

I may be wrong and i still wished to have not watched the trailer just to save myself some small suprises that I deducted anyway.

Usually I gobble up every trailer for a movie I'm looking forward to, but this time, less is definitely more. I want to go in and be ready to be surprised.

I believe in Lana Wachowski and that she is showing us what she is intending with this trailer thematically (Different to other trailers that spoil big surprises in order to flock people to cinemas ). The opportunity for an awesome shared experience is still there.

I may be wrong and i still wished to have not watched the trailer just to save myself some small suprises that I deducted anyway.
True, I kinda hope this trailer stirs expectations a certain way so fans decipher it totally the wrong way. I actually see Lana do this.

It's so good. And I love the second one too, no matter what anyone says about it. It's so quotable, and of course has the best highway chase scene in all of cinema
Agreed with 100%. Love the first two Matrix movies!

Third one is alright.

It's so good. And I love the second one too, no matter what anyone says about it. It's so quotable, and of course has the best highway chase scene in all of cinema
Yeah. Matrix trilogy ain't as bad as they say. I like the second one a lot and I like the plot twist.

The only other trilogy that everyone talked trash of that I like more than the Matrix trilogy is... the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.

Yeah. Matrix trilogy ain't as bad as they say. I like the second one a lot and I like the plot twist.

The only other trilogy that everyone talked trash of that I like more than the Matrix trilogy is... the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.
Pirates rocked, omg. I wasn't in on the Depp hype or the pirate hype but those were still great fun, and Bill Nighy's Davy Jones made those sequels work. And the battle in the whirlpool, ugh. So great.

Pirates rocked, omg. I wasn't in on the Depp hype or the pirate hype but those were still great fun, and Bill Nighy's Davy Jones made those sequels work. And the battle in the whirlpool, ugh. So great.
I can't even comprehend why they weren't too hot critically save for the first. It was grand, it had an engaging story, plot twists, jokes at every corner, lots of fun, lots of incredible battles, awesome costume designs, an acceptable love triangle. Davy Jones really was a great and iconic villain. No joke, the whirlpool battle is stuff from the legends. The perfect blockbuster movie trilogy - it hits every chord.

The Matrix trilogy didn't hit all those chords in sync but we love it anyway

Can I echo this? Pirates of the Caribbean is awesome AF. The way this series is viewed by people borders on crime. They are great like the Indiana Jones trilogy is great imo.

Yall

I bought my tickets for opening day.
origin.gif

I can't even comprehend why they weren't too hot critically save for the first. It was grand, it had an engaging story, plot twists, jokes at every corner, lots of fun, lots of incredible battles, awesome costume designs, an acceptable love triangle. Davy Jones really was a great and iconic villain. No joke, the whirlpool battle is stuff from the legends. The perfect blockbuster movie trilogy - it hits every chord.

The Matrix trilogy didn't hit all those chords in sync but we love it anyway
I think the main issue people have with the Pirates sequels is they're very long and the writing/acting regarding Jack Sparrow becomes a lot more self-aware. That said, I loved the movies too and Davy Jones is one of the all time great movie monsters.

Rewatched Matrix 1 last night and it really hits different when you learn the directors are trans anarchists. Real subtle political commentary here:

FGrc9AwVUAI5xeK

"Many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

i rewatched the trilogy, 1 is an all time classic action movie, up there with predator, die hard, terminator, etc.

i was surprised how good the sequel was. I fully expected it to not hold up, but it aged way better than i thought. honestly its up there with terminator 2 & aliens as successful sequels. the only thing dragging it down was the 3rd movie looming over it.

that being said, the 3rd movie was not that bad. lacking any main characters, the battle for zion was boring, but otherwise a well constructed action sequence. and the neo/smith battle was obviously incredible. i unabashedly love neo's entire arc in this one.

the sequels should've been their own trilogy. the tonal shift from 2 to 3 is stark, it wouldve benefitted from more setup of the smith problem, zion worldbuilding, and allowing the merovingian to just be the bad guy for a movie, etc. the reason the first movie works so well is the underlying plot is super simple.

anyway i might rewatch the animatrix next, not sure.

Firing up the original as we speak, gonna get through the whole trilogy to prepare for Wednesday. Gotta remind myself how deep the rabbit hole gǒ̷͕̠́e̴̙̘̻̍s̶̛͕͉̱͕̭͖͓̆̀

Okay so the first Matrix felt a lot shorter than I remember? And I didn't remember the Oracle visit leading directly into the big last act battle. Good thing I'm refreshing myself.

Also I watched it on HBO Max and it was really washed out, like someone cranked the brightness and contrast to the max. The highlighted sides of people's heads were often pure white and were blending into the sky. It doesn't look like that when I Google screenshots, and tweaking my tv settings didn't help (and no other shows/videos are doing it on my TV so it seems to be just that movie). Has anyone else seen it on HBO Max? Did they goof up the color balance in the HD transfer like they did with the Blu-Ray release of LotR?

On Reloaded now... How did I forget that there's a supporting character named Link who is married to a character named Z? Did anyone else pick up on this? 😅

I liked the first one quite a bit upon release. I tried with the sequels, but eh. I love the simplicity of the cool sci-fi premise of the first movie, but then I felt it just got into messiah nonsense and all these nooks and crannies I did not care for. Will watch the new one of course, because even with the sequels, I enjoyed the action a whole lot.

Also, can we report to the mods anyone who uses "fire" and/or "slaps"? :p

I liked the first one quite a bit upon release. I tried with the sequels, but eh. I love the simplicity of the cool sci-fi premise of the first movie, but then I felt it just got into messiah nonsense and all these nooks and crannies I did not care for. Will watch the new one of course, because even with the sequels, I enjoyed the action a whole lot.

Also, can we report to the mods anyone who uses "fire" and/or "slaps"? :p
giphy.gif

Watched it for the first time recently and was pleasantly suprised! Its a mix if a lot of things I love (old anime, vertigo comics, Hong Kong action). It's not as good as the things its riffing on, but its fun seeing it all mixed together.

The same night I also watched the Yuen Woo Ping directed Shaolin Drunkard though, and thats the real fire right there. He's at like, 50% of his power with the Matrix films, which is good, but seeing him at 100% is pure kino bay-bee.

Watched it for the first time recently and was pleasantly suprised! Its a mix if a lot of things I love (old anime, vertigo comics, Hong Kong action). It's not as good as the things its riffing on, but its fun seeing it all mixed together.

The same night I also watched the Yuen Woo Ping directed Shaolin Drunkard though, and thats the real fire right there. He's at like, 50% of his power with the Matrix films, which is good, but seeing him at 100% is pure kino bay-bee.

The Matrix is fire, and that Shaolin Drunkard fight is fire.
lol

The first film is really good. A genuine classic.

The sequels, not so much, but it's not the usual reason for a sequel being crap. They have a ton of interesting things to say about power structures and the reality of choice, but they struggle to get it across and make it interesting. Neo is The One, how does he feel about that? Zion is about to be destroyed, does anyone have any emotional reaction to that? They're all a bunch of ciphers talking about philosophy. Give me a reason to care.

I think I belong to one of the few that actually liked Reloaded and Revolutions....

I think I belong to one of the few that actually liked Reloaded and Revolutions....
I think there's a lot of good things in them but they're very disjointed and tonally inconsistent. It doesn't help that almost every fight Neo's in has every little tension because he's basically become god and can effortlessly parry his opponents, or fly away when he gets overwhelmed. The only fight where this doesn't really apply is the one in Revolutions with Smith.

All three sequels have things to like about them but none of them manage to be as consistently electrifying as the original, which I would consider one of the best blockbusters released in my lifetime alongside Terminator 2. It's close to a perfect movie.

I appreciate the sequels at least. In my book it's better to aim for excellence and end up a bit crap than aiming for mediocrity and achieving it. The first is at least interesting.

Back
Top Bottom