• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour the loop is closed: Ubisoft Singapore is reportedly making a remake of Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
According to two sources familiar with the plans who asked not to be named because they were not authorized to discuss them, a remake of the 2013 cross-gen PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game is still in its earliest stages and will not be complete for at least a few years. A team at Ubisoft Singapore, one of the studios that has led development on the Assassin’s Creed franchise’s evolving ocean tech, will be heavily involved in helping to modernize the Caribbean-based sailing game.
oh boy.

for reference, the Singapore studio is the same team working on the notoriously heavily delayed "Skull & Bones". which originally started as an expansion for Assassin's Creed IV.
Skull & Bones development began back in 2013, as a multiplayer expansion to Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag that would release as a post-launch update, three sources with knowledge of the project’s origins said. The expansion soon took on a life of its own, however, morphing into a full blown MMO-like spin-off with the working title Black Flag Infinite, and later a brand new pirate game called Skull & Bones.
so they went from developing an expansion, to making it a standalone game, to making a remake of the very game it was originally an expansion for even though the standalone project still isn't out yet.
it's completely possible both titles will launch around the same time, depending on how many more times Skull & Bones gets delayed.

even the Singaporean goverment has to be realize that this whole Skull & Bones things just isn't going to happen right?

Black Flag is my favorite Assassin’s Creed game and I was initially so excited for Skull and Bones. There’s seemingly little chance at all Skull and Bones could possibly be good after its countless delays and I’m not interested in a Black Flag remake. What a weird saga this has turned out to be.

When I saw this rumor a couple of days ago I couldn't help but chuckle. It's a shame really, be cause I knew 100% they are doing this to get back some money after the extremely long dev cycle for Skull and Bones.

You honestly couldn’t make it up.

Skull & Bones is the best example of fucking up a sure thing I’ve ever seen in this industry.

Let me get this straight, Ubisoft looked at the trend of remaking classic games and decided they need to get in on this, and the nearest thing to a beloved title they could find in the vault was Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag?

Let me get this straight, Ubisoft looked at the trend of remaking classic games and decided they need to get in on this, and the nearest thing to a beloved title they could find in the vault was Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag?
I feel like this is less "chasing the latest trend" but "might as well put all those Skull&Bones assets to a good use"

If any of y'all at Ubisoft are reading this, make GRAW 3 ffs, it might be the only thing that saves you at this point.
Oh man. I just recently wondered what my GRAW team was doing these days. Never met each other IRL but we used to play that game all the time when it came out. Coop was glorious with a couple of people who knew what they were doing.

Man I wish Ghost Recon would go back to that style of tac shooter as opposed to whatever Ubi Open world reskin it is these days.

I feel like this is less "chasing the latest trend" but "might as well put all those Skull&Bones assets to a good use"
You're right, I was just thinking it's funny that Ubisoft is this massive company with no real classics, but I suppose they do have Splinter Cell, Sands of Time, Rayman, and some others that people like.

Is Black Flag not a beloved title? I thought it was agreed that it the last of the good original titles.

Feels like the kind of game that would need a remake the least, if it was instead a spiritual sequel of some sort it'd make more sense.

Is Black Flag not a beloved title? I thought it was agreed that it the last of the good original titles.
Yeah I'm being harsh on Ubi, I'm not a fan of their games but other people like them so I'll shush

You honestly couldn’t make it up.

Skull & Bones is the best example of fucking up a sure thing I’ve ever seen in this industry.
I don't think it was ever a sure thing. This was supposed to be an online multiplayer expansion to ACIV at first, after all. But from how this has all unfolded, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the switch from expansion to stand-alone Skull & Bones without thinking through all of the gameplay concepts, so it started off with a half-baked design document and no solid direction to build toward.

I think IV is preferred over II at this point.
When it comes to AC people really loved the Ezio trilogy, and with good reason. They're great games, they did a splendid job of re-interpreting Renaissance Europe, and Ezio is a very likeable protagonist. IV is a popular instalment for sure, but there's a reason II and/or Brotherhood top most 'Best AC lists'.

I mean I'd expect both to come at any rate, but it's pretty clear Ubisoft are doing IV first to exorcise the Skull and Bones ghost from their manor.

I'd also argue with AC Mirage as a "back to the roots"-title right around the corner, it makes more sense to remake Black Flag instead of II or Brotherhod first.

Willing to try and break off onto a new IP for Skull and Bones game as a service but not separate series for a naval piracy/mercenary series. Recently replayed Black Flag and played AC Odyssey not that long ago. Both of them are Assassins Creed light, especially Odyssey. I've played the games through Odyssey and the only Isu specifi thing I really remember are that these mythical figures are now Isu but how that all matters the overarching context, that's pretty blocked from my memories. I play every game like it's a standalone fantasy romp in history

A Black Flag remake, I replayed that like 2 months ago and I don't remember the narrative plot points of the modern stuff. That modern stuff in that game felt irrelevant anytime I've played that and by the time this releases it'll be 7+ mainline releases post IV. I hope they don't remake the walking around the office stuff

Someone really needs to do a story on how they bungled the idea so badly. How so much talent could be so misdirected by management.

1. Release a single player Assassin's Creed game based around the golden age of pirates that is super well received and that everyone loves.
2. Everyone says how much they'd love a spinoff pirate series just like this but without the Assassin's Creed trappings. There is obviously demand there.
3. Decide to actually follow through on this demand and start planning a game called Skull and Bones.
4. ??
5. Spend a decade developing a ship-combat-only multiplayer live service game.

What happened at step 4? Why did they not just have the same dev team take the exact same mechanics and make a spiritual sequel to Black Flag called Skull and Bones? Or, if you're giving the game to a new team, don't over-complicate the game design further than it had to be. The blueprint to a new successful series was all right there for them, so easy... I just can't fathom it at all.

And yes, Black Flag is by far the best Assassin's Creed game - and it does have some tough competition. That said, it's the only game I know of (other than Flight Sim) where I can visit the island I grew up on, so I might be biased.

The only AC that could really use a remake is probably the first one. The rest of them play pretty fine - just upres and move on. This is lame.

The 10 year old best Assassins' creed game getting a remake, is pretty much the only thing that'd bring me back. Even if its only a one time thing.

Back
Top Bottom