• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Link's Awakening remake OST is wonderful.. what about others?

jijijiji

Rattata
Not much attention has been given to this phenomenal reimagination of the original. It is a delicious piece of music that I have listened on repeat for many months. Do you have any other favourite OSTs from remakes that you think maintain the feel of the original, or add something new and exciting?

To be honest, this game as a whole seems not to have earned the attention it deserves.
A vocal minority kept and still keep focusing on the framerate "issues"...

To be honest, this game as a whole seems not to have earned the attention it deserves.

The game still sold 5 million, which is astounding for a 2D game (and a GB remake at that), it blew everyone's expectations. There's a vocal minority that is very negative about it, but it was a great success nonetheless.

The game still sold 5 million, which is astounding for a 2D game (and a GB remake at that), it blew everyone's expectations. There's a vocal minority that is very negative about it, but it was a great success nonetheless.
You're absolutely right and I wasn't denying the commercial success, it's just that the vocal minority is VERY... vocal and utterly annoying to the point that it emphasizes the feeling I have it is completly unfair.

Ryo Nagamatsu is one of the more under appreciated members of Nintendo. His arrangement work is especially good, as seen with games like Nintendoland and Link's Awakening.

I love his take on the Ghost's House by the bay:

Of course a lot of credit for Link's Awakening's OST should of course go to the original composers. Even the original GameBoy track for this conveys a lot of emotion.

And those people act like it drops to 10FPS or something. It drops sometimes from 60 to 30. Not ideal, yes. I would love a patch, yes. But the game is very playable.

Link's Awakening Face Shrine remake is an absolute masterpiece. And perfect for that part of the game. One of the finest dungeon themes in any Zelda game.

It's a good OST but some of the songs got annoying after a while. Wish they were longer and less repetitive. The game itself was fun though, even if it felt a tad tedious at times.

Yeah the face shrine remake is absolutely amazing. I would have liked an option to use the original soundtrack though.

A lot of Squeenix's remasters have had stellar enhanced OST's.

Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 also had some great redone tracks

Not quite a remake, but for the sake of this thread it might as well be: A Link Between Worlds.
A great reimagining of ALTTP's soundtrack

I completely agree. I absolutely love the LA remake and the soundtrack is such a wonderful highlight. The arrangements with the small woodwind/string ensemble are so playful, and you can tell that Ryo Nagamatsu really respected the original soundtrack when rearranging it. It's one of my favorite remake osts ever.

Fire Emblem Echoes has an ost I think is similarly excellent, but in a somewhat different way. It breathes life into many of the original NES tracks by orchestrating them, but the composer also included his own musical identity with the main "Echoes" motif, and he really expanded some of the compositions (especially for late game stuff and cutscenes)

I completely agree. I absolutely love the LA remake and the soundtrack is such a wonderful highlight. The arrangements with the small woodwind/string ensemble are so playful, and you can tell that Ryo Nagamatsu really respected the original soundtrack when rearranging it. It's one of my favorite remake osts ever.

Fire Emblem Echoes has an ost I think is similarly excellent, but in a somewhat different way. It breathes life into many of the original NES tracks by orchestrating them, but the composer also included his own musical identity with the main "Echoes" motif, and he really expanded some of the compositions (especially for late game stuff and cutscenes)
Yeah, FE Echoes hits some real highs with how quality the OST itself became.

I really loved the Link's Awakening ost. The Face Shrine dungeon and credits song track especially. I just really enjoyed the way they meshed the retro chiptune bits with the modern orchestra music.

Xenoblade DE added an opera singer to some of the original tracks and it was great:

Link's Awakening OST is indeed awesome. Face Shrine is wonderful.

People did use the framerate issues as typical concern trolling but I can't deny there were some weird issues with framerate at times. Definitely nothing that actually hurt playing the game but it was noticeable.

It wasn't even that bad, however I would have preferred them to just lock it at 30.

And those people act like it drops to 10FPS or something. It drops sometimes from 60 to 30. Not ideal, yes. I would love a patch, yes. But the game is very playable.
My understanding is the physical version is significantly worse than the digital one, as the drops are tied to asset streaming. If you played it digitally, your experience was not the same as everyone else's.

The credits theme is one of my favorite songs in any game ever. The way they mixed together the string instruments (representing the dream world), the brass instruments (representing the real world), and the 8 bit chiptune ripped from the original game is incredible.

My understanding is the physical version is significantly worse than the digital one, as the drops are tied to asset streaming. If you played it digitally, your experience was not the same as everyone else's.
I played the physical version and I never once noticed any kind of stutter or whatever. I’m not the type of person to notice frame rates, though.

I played the physical version and I never once noticed any kind of stutter or whatever. I’m not the type of person to notice frame rates, though.
As someone who does notice framerate fluctuations, I played the digital version and noticed enough for it to be somewhat distracting at times, and it's supposedly much better.

But back on the music, it's up there with the best Zeldas. That's no small feat.

Ryo is also great composer on top of an arranger. He was behind some of Galaxy 2's music and composed most (if not all?) of Splatoon 2's soundtrack.

I have the physical version.

Not quite a remake, but for the sake of this thread it might as well be: A Link Between Worlds.
A great reimagining of ALTTP's soundtrack
Also Ryo Nagamatsu. An excellent composer.

Both of those OSTs do a remarkable job of keeping the spirit of the original music, which a lot of remakes don't. They play all of the notes on real instruments and miss the feel, somehow. The only tune from Link's Awakening remake that sort of misses for me is Tal Tal Heights. It sounds great but the atmosphere is different, the original is a lot punchier.

What’s this physical vs. digital frame rate thing? First time I’m hearing of it. My understanding is that the internal storage is slightly faster than cartridges but the difference is probably too small to be noticeable in frame rates, no?

Last edited:
It wasn't even that bad, however I would have preferred them to just lock it at 30.
I'm not annoyed by framerate fluctuations, so if you ask me I would let it as it is.
However, a patch could be a welcome addition for all.

Can we talk about the redemption arc of Pokemon Gen 1 soundtrack?

FRLG soundtrack was a pretty bad rendition of the original. The synth has that drunk vibe to it:

And then LGPE knocked it out of the park with its orchestral renditions:

I rlly need to replay and finish up Links Awakening, got stuck in the before last dungeon but i loved it so much the whole game. Cute zelda games are the best.

Just got sidetracked insanely back then 😅 and hmmmm the Kingdom Hearts remasters for sure the orchestrated music is just epic AF.

Might aswell count them cuz the final mix content and them being in high definition + 60 fps is a crazy upgrade indeed gameplay wise.

And it would happen for one second when entering a new screen in the overworld and then readjust itself. Really was not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom