• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

Put me on the bucket of people worried about menu navigation being once again an issue with this game. My most disliked element of the open-air Zeldas, really hoping they find elegant a solution and the game is no pause scroll select unpause the whole time.
This is my biggest worry by far at this point

Put me on the bucket of people worried about menu navigation being once again an issue with this game. My most disliked element of the open-air Zeldas, really hoping they find elegant a solution and the game is no pause scroll select unpause the whole time.
I guess this is Zelda now...

1719090092504.jpg

As much as the gameplay is innovative for a 2D Zelda game, I hope Zelda can perform attacks on her own. Maybe the fact that the Sheikah are in this game means that she'll be able to transform into Sheik to perform attacks after getting an item or something, and it would be nice to see more Sheik outside of Smash. Perhaps the Sheikah guy fighting in the trailer is a hint to this.

Echoes-of-Wisdom-Mysterious-Stranger-Sheikah-850x478.jpeg

Sorry if someone already said all this, I didn't read the whole thread.

As much as the gameplay is innovative for a 2D Zelda game, I hope Zelda can perform attacks on her own. Maybe the fact that the Sheikah are in this game means that she'll be able to transform into Sheik to perform attacks after getting an item or something, and it would be nice to see more Sheik outside of Smash. Perhaps the Sheikah guy fighting in the trailer is a hint to this.

Echoes-of-Wisdom-Mysterious-Stranger-Sheikah-850x478.jpeg

Sorry if someone already said all this, I didn't read the whole thread.
Pretty sure that's Impa, and yeah, given the amount of items that are hinted at, I do think we will be getting a more direct way of fighting.

so far, they just talked about the new Echo ability, which also covers enemies. since they have a limited time period (and probably disappear when hit), there will probably be an attacking method with more immediate and infinite use at the expense of power. the trailer shows Zelda doing a twirl, maybe that's her primary attack with the tri rod

I wonder if you’ll be able to play Impa for a few minutes at the start to break Zelda out of prison, in a nod to the opening of LTTP? That would be cool? I can see it just being a cut scene of ‘Tri fairy gets her out of the cell, then Impa deals with the guards on the way out’ though

What’s better than linear menus?

Pretty much anything is better than scrolling through a line to get from item 1 to item 40. But I guess Nintendo is afraid that given you the option to assign 4 favourite items to the D-pad you won't even contemplate checking the other 40 available to you. Which makes sense, but it's limiting convenience.

The only objectively negative thing that I can see from this game would be the menu management.

You can tell in the trailer when they cut out the item sorting, because it completely slows down the gameplay and looks like it’ll have the same issues as TotK. Although it didn’t impact TotK’s scores, Echoes is the means through which you traverse, complete puzzles, engage in combat, etc. I imagine that’ll leave this game in the high 80s.

Aside from that, the music, expanded world, narrative, and creative ideas plus the possibilities all look on point
What’s better than linear menus?

We need Scrollwheel-Shoulderbuttons on Switch 2. There's still time Nintendo, you can do it!

Fujibayashi is a genius at gameplay design, and I hope he'll be in charge of gameplay design as director of the series for a long time.

I would love to know if Capcom regrets seeing him go given the insane quality this man is bringing right now.

Imagine being the suit that accepted his resignation, seeing how he went and created two of the best games ever, in a row, after already delivering high-quality games before. Does this person ever think "Welp, i've made a big mistake..."?

A scroll wheel on switch 2 would've solved this problem, just saying :p

Ah i see, you're a person of culture and taste, too.

Last edited:
I would love to know if Capcom regrets seeing him go given the insane quality this man is bringing right now.

Imagine being the suit that accepted his resignation, seeing how he went and created two of the best games ever, in a row, after already delivering high-quality games before. Does this person ever thought "Welp, i've made a big mistake..."?
Yeah, that's what I've been meaning to ask for a while now, but there's no guarantee that Fujibayashi will be able to utilize his talents at Capcom, I've read about Fujibayashi's approach to development during his time at Capcom, and it's arguably the complete opposite of what it is now at Nintendo, Capcom isn't exactly a development model that prioritizes gameplay design.

Radial menus, of which you can't fit every item, so you'd have to have multiple of them, doesn't sound much better than a linear menu to me tbh. Especially because you can sort the linear menu by most used.

I don't think there's a much more elegant solution. The D-pad will be used for other things.

An inconvenient menu would be inconvenient for sure. TotK was a little inconvenient. There's better ways for quick selection menus, including a (radial) favourites menu, a quick select that isn't linear and thus makes better use of screen real estate and allows for quicker selection if you start in the middle of the menu etc..

Looks like a linear menu is back on the menu though! We'll see how fiddly it gets. If the rest of the game is great I don't mind a bit of inconvenience (I'm a Skyward Sword lover for crying out loud!).

The linear menu in TotK is the only one that makes any sort of sense given the sheer number of different items but it needed better sorting options, specifically letting you pick favourites because the "Most used" option is not super useful.

Back
Top Bottom