• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Ideal Presentation for Menu-Based Combat

EtherPenguin

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
There's always discussion on how turn based can work in modern games. A style that is inherently abstract struggling to look less goofy as graphics get more advanced. People often have strong opinions about what mechanics they've seen to evolve the genre but don't always consider the drawbacks to a particular style or that it's not always a one-size-fits-all solution, so I think it's interesting to discuss where the line is at how abstract you can make these things.

I'm also making this topic because I've been getting more and more serious about actually making my own medium-sized RPG. I don't want to be entirely self-indulgent with the combat mechanics and would rather make something more crowd-pleasing. For a hobbyist game that will be made primarily by one person on a small budget with lofi-ish 3D graphics like an in-between of Mega Man Legends and Skies of Arcadia, I think it's important for the main draw to be a combat system that makes RPGs fans say "hey that's the kind of thing I've been looking for!"

Seamless Encounters vs. Screen Transitions
In discussions of evolving/modernizing turn-based systems, the idea of making battles seamless with exploration will inevitably come up. The negative connotation surrounding screen transitions is partially rooted in people's familiarity with turn-based on older hardware like PS1 where the game needed time to load the battle instance. This could be obnoxiously long such as in FF9. But I think the bigger reason is that people just like having a sense of place and for the gameplay to feel continuous with itself.

Chrono Trigger was one of the first games to pioneer seamless battle encounters though it didn't lead to a revolution. Even its own sequel ignored the innovation and stuck with the standard separate screen battles. And I do think there are some flaws with CT's way of doing it. While positioning is a part of CT's battle system, you can't move your characters, they remain static. This means each encounter has hard-coded spots for the party members to stand in, and you have to watch the characters run over to their spots at the start of every battle (and wait for the members to walk back to the leader at the end of every battle before you can move again). The devs knew it would be silly if you initiated the encounter too far from the hard-coded spots, so they severely limited the ways you can get into encounters. Enemies can't chase you and it's very difficult to actually avoid an encounter a lot of the time. Rather than usual touch encounter systems, CT's encounters have areas or tiles that will trigger the encounter beyond just bumping into a monster. I've seen people refer to this as roller coaster dungeon design where the dungeon feels less like a place and more like a set ride with encounters as specific points on the ride, more on rails or more video-gamey I guess. I don't see CT's style working well for more open areas like large grassy fields, and CT notably excluded world map encounters. Of course, these are only problems for battle systems with static character positions, it's another story for positionable characters like Trails or Larian games. We'll discuss the pros and cons of static vs. positionable characters in a second here.

Another interesting game was Dragon Quest XI. On the surface, it appears to have basic separate screen battles. While yes, it has a transition when initiating an encounter, it actually uses CT's idea of set battle spots on the map. Battles in DQXI actually do take place on the same map which lets the transitions to battle be speedy as it's not loading in a separate battle instance or loading back in the explorable map after combat. The transition is to move the characters to the closest battle spot and spawn in the enemies. So while it's the same map, it's not seamless. You lose the seamlessness of actually seeing your character move to the battle spot but gain more anything-goes enemy placement on the map and enemies can chase you without worrying about moving too far from the designated battle spot. Based on videos I've seen, DQ10 does the same but actually leaves you at the spot of battle afterward. The transition out of battle is seamless in DQX. DQXI transitions you back to where you touched the encounter. I'm curious how it would've worked if they tried a seamless transition out of battle but it could feel like the encounter pushed you backwards in the dungeon and frustrate the player.

Another thing with screen transitions with touch encounters is that you can have random and varied enemy parties per encounter. Seamless usually means all enemies in the encounter have to be on the map first and that means the game has set enemy parties for each encounter.

Static Character Positions
Moving on to talk about how units behave and position themselves in battle, we'll first look at the classic static setup. This is usually where you'll have your characters lined up (either viewed from third party or first party perspective) opposite to the enemy party neatly lined up across from you. It doesn't have to be exactly that though. There can be rows or the enemy party can be spread out a bit more like Mario RPG. The main idea is that each unit has a set spot they stand in and return to when not making an action. This is the least visually interesting and the style that draws the most ire with the typical "why are they just standing around waiting to be attacked?" complaint thrown at the genre. It's definitely the most abstract form turn based can take but its benefits are speed and visual clarity.

The removal of any positioning or moving around in combat can speed things up significantly and this style is one of the best ways to achieve fast and snappy combat. It can be slowed down though based on how characters move to their target. Traditionally, in earlier pixel art games, the characters wouldn't move at all. They would swing their sword while staying in the line up on one side of the screen, and the enemy way on the other side of the screen would take damage. Definitely fast but a little too abstract nowadays, especially for 3D games. One of the best examples of this style of combat in my eyes is Xenosaga Episode III:

This is probably one of the better examples of fast and snappy turn based battles. I'm sure someone could find a Persona game that does it better, but you get the idea. Xenosaga 3 achieves its effect not just with fast animations (well, ignore that lightning blast move used a couple of times in the video), but with fast camera cuts as well. Look at how melee attacks are handled. We see the character start to run forward in the wide shot before cutting to a close-up shot of the monster with the player running into frame and beginning the attack. We don't know if the character actually ran all the way to the monster from their spot. They could have jumped the player ahead a little bit when changing the camera cuts, but we can't tell. It also doesn't bother to have the character run back after an attack, they just snap back to the lineup. But the fast camera cuts and clever angles hide a lot of this stuff and I think the result is really nice.

While the static lineup is perceived as goofy and old school, and while there is a lot of depth to be found in positioning, no other style can really rival this style's speed. Of course, first person battles (classic DQ/Etrian Odyssey) can be even faster at the cost of more abstraction and less visual clarity. Though a major drawback is how difficult it is to get this style to work with seamless battles as I outlined with the Chrono Trigger problems.

Auto-Positioning (Skies of Arcadia and Grandia)
In this style, characters move around on the map dynamically. The player doesn't position the characters themselves, rather they move in accordance with their attacks to their targets. Ranged attackers and spellcasters will usually just stay in their spot without the need to move. Though attack animations may change if an enemy has entered their melee range like with Aika in SoA or Lucca and Marle in CT which is always a nice touch.

It looks a lot better but things begin to slow down. SoA battles in particular feel slow to me. Grandia battles can be very quick though. Grandia especially takes advantage of this style to work with its main gimmick, the IP gauge. For those unfamiliar, Grandia has an initiative gauge divided into a blue wait segment the characters move along like every unit is sharing the same ATB bar, then a red segment which is the charge for the attack. Getting to the end of the blue wait bar and the beginning of the red bar is when you choose an action. Different actions have different charge times and the amount of time it takes to move over the enemy is also part of the red bar so it all works cohesively.

A good in-between of styles. May not be as snappy or have the same visual clarity as static line ups or as much control over positioning and AOEs as the next style, but a happy medium. Drawbacks would be unpredictability and loss of control. It can feel frustrating to essentially lose a tun because the enemy moved out of ranged before your turn came up.

Freely Positionable Characters (Trails and CRPGs)
This is the style where you're free to move a character around the battlefield before an attack - within a set range of course. It can come in different forms. Maybe they have more Tactics-like tiles like Trails in the Sky. Divinity Original Sin has you find a spot and commit to it based on the action points you have available before actually moving the characters. The upcoming Trails game (already out in Japan), Kuro no Kiseki lets you freely move characters inside a blue circle. The drawback to this style is that the actual step of moving around your character each turn can really slow things down. I feel most complaints about turn based combat all come down to "too slow" and "too abstract" and it's impossible to escape both because more abstraction is what gets you faster battles. But the Kiseki method might be the best here as you can freely move around with the analog stick which speeds things up compared to the Larian method of breaking movement up into two stages of picking a spot first then having the character move there. It also helps to keep things working seamlessly with the exploration when your movement controls are the same in and out of battle. This is probably the best style to work with seamless battles.

I did make an attempt at this style before in a month-long game jam game. You could move freely but not in a range. You had a BotW-style stamina wheel that determined the amount you could move per turn. Enemies could also move while you moved and standing still would pause time. It ended up being quite a mess and wasn't really fun, but maybe there's something there.

It does strike me that there are things you simply can't do in this style. I'm struggling to imagine the Grandia IP gauge working here. Would you move the characters while they're on the red gauge? Would you move them when choosing a command? If so then would they also move on their own while on the red gauge if their target changed positions? The Grandia system can work with static lineups, I mean you don't need positioning for a Grandia-inspired system if you're mostly just interested in the IP gauge and canceling mechanics. I've seen it work with static lineups in a game jam game. But can't imagine a version that would work with free movement.

Of course, pacing for all these systems also has to do with party sizes. I think three active party members is the sweet spot for fast-paced battles.

Menu-Based but not Turn-based?
A final idea I'll throw out there is for stat-based real-time like Xenoblade. I suspect the appeal of a Xenoblade-like system is more niche than turn based especially among people buying indie games. Some people call Xenoblade's system an auto-battle system or a cooldown system but I think those are missing the point which is just to have the focus on stats and the same sort of tactics and mechanics of turn based games in real time. You can do Xenoblade-like without auto-attacks or cooldowns. You can have a basic attack with a button press (arguably Xenoblade 2 already does with the left stick flicking) and you can have MP instead of cooldowns. You could have a two second global cooldown between attacks to simulate the opportunity cost of turn-based systems and help with visual clarity. You could pause to queue up party commands and individually set targets for each party member. There's plenty of unexplored territory for this style. Maybe tab-target inspired is a better word? It's still party based but you only control one character at a time while the rest are AI (could possibly use a gambits-like system in an original game) which is the main complaint. Some would also say it's the worst of both worlds. To me it's sort of the opposite as I get the main two things I care about: focus on stats + continuous gameplay moving from exploration to battles. Perhaps the least popular style but sometimes I wonder if it's just a vocal minority.

I'll put some final ideas about my own game I've been planning and how different styles would affect it into more details in a spoilered off section at the end:
Each character has a general set 'class'. They can grow that class in different directions though like how one person's Frenzy Barb in Diablo 2 can play and feel fairly different from another person's Whirlwind Barb. Each character gets two weapons that act as two main styles they can switch between mid-combat somewhat inspired by Jade Empire and Xenoblade games (mostly X).

The main character is a dexterity character who has Knuckels for a brawler style and a Magic Saber for a speedy fencer style. The Knuckles style has a basic attack that hits twice so missing is less of a big deal, has some burst damage moves that are MP-hungry, can knockback enemies, has lightning elemental melee attacks, and can build tension like DQ8 (character-specific mechanic here, not game wide like DQ8). The Magic Fencer style has AOE moves, some wind elemental ranged attacks, mana regeneration, and a focus on evading and countering.

The idea of what it means to knockback enemies would vary depending on the style of combat. I originally envisioned a Grandia like system and doing my own take on the IP gauge but without positioning. The Knuckles' knocback attack would be like the cancel effects in Grandia. You could knock enemies back on the wait bar. If they were in red and you timed it right to pull off the move before they could charge the attack, they would be knocked further back and unable to use that move for a time. In a tab-target semi-realtime style it would pause the enemy's global cooldown for a second or more if they were charging an attack. I also had the idea of a separate stagger meter that would work with it and make the game feel less like a Grandia rip off. Knocking enemies back would fill the stagger meter. Knocking them back while they were charging a move would double the amount of stagger filled. Some moves would have bonus effects like stun or defense down when used on a staggered enemy.

But I'm out of ideas on how to do that with a free-movement positioning system unless I just have the stagger meter by itself but then would basically be Xenosaga 3 with positioning. Which could be serviceable but I know people really like turn manipulation. You can have turn manipulation and knocking enemies back with CTB and no gauge filling but then I'd just be making a Trails game. On the other hand, the free-movement system is the best for making battles seamless with exploration aside from the less popular Xenoblade-like system.

But then static lineups + screen transitions are easier to do for a one-person dev time. But I don't want to make the kind of hobbyist game that people play to be polite or out of pity. I want to make something that RPG fans actually want to play and that means being impressive.

I have some extremely relevant thoughts in response to this since I just finished making a first person turn based RPG, with seamless transitions and range-based movement but I don't have the time to give a detailed response this second, I'll try and write something up in a couple hours.

So first I'll give a rundown on what I did for my game and why I did it, then I'll give my thoughts on turn based mechanics overall.

My game:

My game was inspired quite heavily by the classic Might and Magic series, which was first person and grid-based and fully turn-based in its first 5 games, then later in 6-8 it moved to a unique hybrid turn-based/real time with full 3d movement.

What I mean by hybrid is that you could quite literally toggle on or off turn based battle at almost any time. They managed this by using a system I have now co-opted which I call the "recovery" system.

Basically how it works is each action your characters or an enemy takes has an associated "recovery time" cost. It's not measured in seconds, but just arbitrary units for a reason I'll get to. The character then "recovers" after using the action, so let's say it's a standard melee attack, right after attacking the character enters the recovery phase, during which they can't do anything.

It's different from cooldowns in that respect, any single action you take puts you out of commission for x amount of arbitrary time units.

However, the reason I love this so much is that when it's turn based, that time can pass instantaneously. All you need to do is simulate the time passing, and whoever comes out of their recovery phase first gets to act next. Now, you can play with all of this by changing up recovery "speed", so say you have a super agile character or monster. It "recovers" from a basic attack much faster than anyone else, so after x amount of simulated time passes, that character will recover more "units" than other characters.

This can lead to scenarios where your rogue attacks twice or three times a round or a troublesome fairy or swarm of insects attacks you 3-4 times before you can get off one attack.

So I've adopted this system because it allows for much more freeform combat, and it works as far as I can tell in most types of turn based combat systems too. Mine as I've said above is first person, with free movement within a particular range, that range being defined by your characters' speeds, namely the lowest speed in the party.

One of the downsides of my system is the fact that it's a first person party based rpg (a blobber is what those tend to be called), which means you can't individually position your characters, the whole party is stuck together as one blob. But I think that's really the main problem with it, speaking of versatility and realism.

Otherwise it works really nicely for seamless in-world battle systems. You can move around in your movement range once per round, enemies can both move and attack in the same turn, some enemies try to move away from you to attack from range, some are support enemies and don't bother moving much, it's really quite robust for all these kinds of variables. I've had trouble in the past with pathfinding issues as well as getting stuck around other obstacles like doors, but I think that's more or less solved by limiting what you can interact with during actual battle.

What I've really tried to do with this is speed it the heck up, because one of the main criticisms of turn based combat is with how slow it can be. But I feel like I've made it quite speedy, all of the code happens nearly instantaneously and the only reason I put in delays into it in a few spots is so that things can animate properly and so that you aren't ridiculously overwhelmed by what a group of enemies do in succession. Oh, speaking on that for a second, one thing that really helped visibility of what was going on (remember thia is first person) was to automatically snap the player camera towards an enemy as soon as that enemy's turn started.

Anyway, I really like this thread and your OP as I do (clearly) have opinions on turn based gameplay and mechanics and how it can absolutely be an engaging and amazing way to play an RPG still. I think BG3 has done a good job revitalizing it a bit.

This is a great idea for a thread! I don’t think I’ll go too in depth here as there isn’t really a style I dislike and the variety of approaches all give the games their own flavor (something that’s important if you aren’t blazing a unique trail), but I can talk about what I like to see. Speed is definitely a big thing and that usually stems from not every turn necessarily requiring too much thought on average for games like this. If you aren’t going for quick or skippable animations, a turbo mode is a very nice feature to have.

My personal preference in presentation is to have battles take place on the field after touching visible enemies (advantage attacks from the front and disadvantages when jumped from behind can keep the field engaging). Trails Into Reverie actually had the map terrain factor into the positioning game here where bridges and tight passageways would lead to more restricted arenas which is cool, but it wasn’t a major focus either. But while visible enemies on the field are important to me, separate battle screens don’t bother me at all. Same goes for factoring in character positioning, it doesn’t have to be there or not and sometimes the basic combat rows or a small grid in battle more than gets the job done. But maybe speaking to the latter more, I’d rather a game pick a few systems that really play into each other well than have features just to have them.

So first I'll give a rundown on what I did for my game and why I did it, then I'll give my thoughts on turn based mechanics overall.

My game:

My game was inspired quite heavily by the classic Might and Magic series, which was first person and grid-based and fully turn-based in its first 5 games, then later in 6-8 it moved to a unique hybrid turn-based/real time with full 3d movement.

What I mean by hybrid is that you could quite literally toggle on or off turn based battle at almost any time. They managed this by using a system I have now co-opted which I call the "recovery" system.

Basically how it works is each action your characters or an enemy takes has an associated "recovery time" cost. It's not measured in seconds, but just arbitrary units for a reason I'll get to. The character then "recovers" after using the action, so let's say it's a standard melee attack, right after attacking the character enters the recovery phase, during which they can't do anything.

It's different from cooldowns in that respect, any single action you take puts you out of commission for x amount of arbitrary time units.

However, the reason I love this so much is that when it's turn based, that time can pass instantaneously. All you need to do is simulate the time passing, and whoever comes out of their recovery phase first gets to act next. Now, you can play with all of this by changing up recovery "speed", so say you have a super agile character or monster. It "recovers" from a basic attack much faster than anyone else, so after x amount of simulated time passes, that character will recover more "units" than other characters.

This can lead to scenarios where your rogue attacks twice or three times a round or a troublesome fairy or swarm of insects attacks you 3-4 times before you can get off one attack.

So I've adopted this system because it allows for much more freeform combat, and it works as far as I can tell in most types of turn based combat systems too. Mine as I've said above is first person, with free movement within a particular range, that range being defined by your characters' speeds, namely the lowest speed in the party.

One of the downsides of my system is the fact that it's a first person party based rpg (a blobber is what those tend to be called), which means you can't individually position your characters, the whole party is stuck together as one blob. But I think that's really the main problem with it, speaking of versatility and realism.

Otherwise it works really nicely for seamless in-world battle systems. You can move around in your movement range once per round, enemies can both move and attack in the same turn, some enemies try to move away from you to attack from range, some are support enemies and don't bother moving much, it's really quite robust for all these kinds of variables. I've had trouble in the past with pathfinding issues as well as getting stuck around other obstacles like doors, but I think that's more or less solved by limiting what you can interact with during actual battle.

What I've really tried to do with this is speed it the heck up, because one of the main criticisms of turn based combat is with how slow it can be. But I feel like I've made it quite speedy, all of the code happens nearly instantaneously and the only reason I put in delays into it in a few spots is so that things can animate properly and so that you aren't ridiculously overwhelmed by what a group of enemies do in succession. Oh, speaking on that for a second, one thing that really helped visibility of what was going on (remember thia is first person) was to automatically snap the player camera towards an enemy as soon as that enemy's turn started.

Anyway, I really like this thread and your OP as I do (clearly) have opinions on turn based gameplay and mechanics and how it can absolutely be an engaging and amazing way to play an RPG still. I think BG3 has done a good job revitalizing it a bit.
Thanks for sharing the thought processes behind your own game's development. I know I played a demo for it maybe a year ago now. I actually just checked itch.io and saw you updated with a new demo earlier today, I'll have to check it out. I've never heard the term blobber before lol.

I have some experience with Might & Magic 6-8. I tend to categorize it as RTWP in my head, but your right, it's more like actually switching to turn based mode rather than pausing and queuing up commands. The recovery system you mentioned sounds like it achieves an end result similar to CTB (charge time battle) systems seen in Final Fantasy Tactics, FF10, Xenosaga 1 and 2, and Trails games. They basically take the ATB system of snes/ps1 Final Fantasy games but fill up the atb meters instantaneously in a do loop. It leads to similar results where agile characters can occasionally get in additional turns before another battler.

I think there's value in everybody gets one turn per round, it's easier to balance, but speed affecting turn order and number of turns tends to be more popular. Ideally, I'd like one agility stat that governs evasion and turn order but getting the numbers right to equally balance both those things is challenging especially when very high speed can make a character overpowered in ATB or CTB systems. I kind of like Chrono Trigger and Xenosaga 1 not making speed increase with levels only through equipment or limited consumable speed tabs. I know Final Fantasy games come up with formulas for getting speed or dex to work with ATB charge and accuracy/evasion, but I like simpler formulas that let me balance things in my head. Right now I'm going for something like:
Damage = (Strength or Magic + Weapon Power) * Mitigation
Mitigation = X/(X + Defense) ~ X will be balanced based on how much defense I want armor to give to be effective at reducing hits taken
Hit Rate = 0.75 * Dex / Agi as a percent

Interesting to hear about your struggles with pathfinding. It's definitely a thought I have when planning out level design that I need to add 'arenas' like open spaces with few obstacles if I go with seamless battles. Though using the terrain and level design as part of the battle can add a lot like xghost777 mentioned regarding Reverie.

Of course, pathfinding becomes an issue even outside of battle. That's one positive to screen transition battles is that your party doesn't need to follow you around on the map so you can have more platforming and interesting level design without worrying about how the AI will handle it, especially for a third-person 3D game. I've been planning out a city area and there's a lot of crates to jump on and get onto rooftops. I also wanted ledge grabbing and vine climbing and I don't even want to think about getting AI to follow you properly for all of that right now.

And I agree about BG3 revitalizing the genre and it's been nice to see so much positivity for a game centered around these mechanics. CRPGs have been having a bit of a renaissance for a while now and Larian is really at the forefront of it. Though I think RTWP still has some potential and room to evolve as well, Dragon Age Origins is one of my all-time favorite games.

But maybe speaking to the latter more, I’d rather a game pick a few systems that really play into each other well than have features just to have them.
That's definitely an idea to take to heart. It's easy to get caught up on jamming in every cool idea that you end up just making a bloated mess.

I agree with both of you about the need to speed it up and have quick animations. Though I still think there's a place for a couple of flashy animations for stuff like limit breaks/dual techs. My philosophy is if it could be a final smash animation in Smash Bros Ultimate, then it's probably fine for something you aren't going to see every battle or at all with trash mobs. But yea, they should probably be skippable regardless

Thanks for sharing the thought processes behind your own game's development. I know I played a demo for it maybe a year ago now. I actually just checked itch.io and saw you updated with a new demo earlier today, I'll have to check it out. I've never heard the term blobber before lol.
The full game is actually very close to launch, I have a build up for that on a private page that I've been trying to get people to help me test, if you're interested in playing that I can give you a download key.

I should be launching the full thing within a few weeks, by the beginning of October at the latest hopefully, just gotta wait for my LLC approval.
I have some experience with Might & Magic 6-8. I tend to categorize it as RTWP in my head, but your right, it's more like actually switching to turn based mode rather than pausing and queuing up commands. The recovery system you mentioned sounds like it achieves an end result similar to CTB (charge time battle) systems seen in Final Fantasy Tactics, FF10, Xenosaga 1 and 2, and Trails games. They basically take the ATB system of snes/ps1 Final Fantasy games but fill up the atb meters instantaneously in a do loop. It leads to similar results where agile characters can occasionally get in additional turns before another battler.
Yeah that sounds right, I guess it's a similar concept of trying to simulate the time it takes to pull off a move.
I think there's value in everybody gets one turn per round, it's easier to balance, but speed affecting turn order and number of turns tends to be more popular. Ideally, I'd like one agility stat that governs evasion and turn order but getting the numbers right to equally balance both those things is challenging especially when very high speed can make a character overpowered in ATB or CTB systems. I kind of like Chrono Trigger and Xenosaga 1 not making speed increase with levels only through equipment or limited consumable speed tabs. I know Final Fantasy games come up with formulas for getting speed or dex to work with ATB charge and accuracy/evasion, but I like simpler formulas that let me balance things in my head. Right now I'm going for something like:
Damage = (Strength or Magic + Weapon Power) * Mitigation
Mitigation = X/(X + Defense) ~ X will be balanced based on how much defense I want armor to give to be effective at reducing hits taken
Hit Rate = 0.75 * Dex / Agi as a percent
Personally I like lots of stats but if you like fewer then yeah I can see the benefit to going once per round for everyone.

I also loathe the idea of hit rate, probably because I was scarred as a child playing so much Morrowind. In my game unless an enemy has one of the damage avoidance traits then all your attacks are going to hit. I also do the same thing with stats increasing- similar to the old Might and Magics they don't increase as you level up but they increase with gear or with random bonuses you find through exploration. I tend to like the way that balances combat/xp and exploration- leveling up gives you more HP (the formula is something like Vitality + (Level x Vitality/2)) and MP (or in my case MP cap) but doesn't change your base stats at all.

Interesting to hear about your struggles with pathfinding. It's definitely a thought I have when planning out level design that I need to add 'arenas' like open spaces with few obstacles if I go with seamless battles. Though using the terrain and level design as part of the battle can add a lot like xghost777 mentioned regarding Reverie.

Of course, pathfinding becomes an issue even outside of battle. That's one positive to screen transition battles is that your party doesn't need to follow you around on the map so you can have more platforming and interesting level design without worrying about how the AI will handle it, especially for a third-person 3D game. I've been planning out a city area and there's a lot of crates to jump on and get onto rooftops. I also wanted ledge grabbing and vine climbing and I don't even want to think about getting AI to follow you properly for all of that right now.
Pathfinding is gonna be tricky no matter what if you're doing a 3D game. I tried from the beginning to have as simple levels and layouts as possible because A) I want the game to be scalable as heck, but more importantly B) because I've had so many issues with pathfinding in the past in complex levels with complex geometry and lots of clutter. The parts of game development I prefer are the broader design challenges like building a level, building creatures, coding new creature behavior, stats/items, things like that. I loathe dealing with pathfinding or other engine/geometry issues, I can't wrap my head around things like that.

It took a lot of trial and error with raycasts to sorta figure out a good way to deal with monsters wandering in the map outside of battle being able to see/trigger a combat encounter but I think I have it all working well now. Another issue with a 3D game is enemies clipping through walls- I had a problem where a larger enemy (specifically a cyborg dragon) had its head clipping through the wall and since the head was out it could see the player and initiate combat with all of its body on the other side. Those issues are solved with multiple raycasts- you gotta make sure that the core of the body is able to see the head of the body with no obstacles in between.
I agree with both of you about the need to speed it up and have quick animations. Though I still think there's a place for a couple of flashy animations for stuff like limit breaks/dual techs. My philosophy is if it could be a final smash animation in Smash Bros Ultimate, then it's probably fine for something you aren't going to see every battle or at all with trash mobs. But yea, they should probably be skippable regardless
Yeah, that's a good philosophy IMO. Making everything skippable isn't all that hard.

Another option is to, well, offer an option. I have a "combat speed" slider which basically changes the amount of time in between enemy turns. Sometimes in chaotic fights where you're surrounded by 10-20 enemies you may not want it up to the max so having an option to change it based on the situation is always a plus.

The full game is actually very close to launch, I have a build up for that on a private page that I've been trying to get people to help me test, if you're interested in playing that I can give you a download key.

I should be launching the full thing within a few weeks, by the beginning of October at the latest hopefully, just gotta wait for my LLC approval.

Yeah that sounds right, I guess it's a similar concept of trying to simulate the time it takes to pull off a move.

Personally I like lots of stats but if you like fewer then yeah I can see the benefit to going once per round for everyone.

I also loathe the idea of hit rate, probably because I was scarred as a child playing so much Morrowind. In my game unless an enemy has one of the damage avoidance traits then all your attacks are going to hit. I also do the same thing with stats increasing- similar to the old Might and Magics they don't increase as you level up but they increase with gear or with random bonuses you find through exploration. I tend to like the way that balances combat/xp and exploration- leveling up gives you more HP (the formula is something like Vitality + (Level x Vitality/2)) and MP (or in my case MP cap) but doesn't change your base stats at all.

Pathfinding is gonna be tricky no matter what if you're doing a 3D game. I tried from the beginning to have as simple levels and layouts as possible because A) I want the game to be scalable as heck, but more importantly B) because I've had so many issues with pathfinding in the past in complex levels with complex geometry and lots of clutter. The parts of game development I prefer are the broader design challenges like building a level, building creatures, coding new creature behavior, stats/items, things like that. I loathe dealing with pathfinding or other engine/geometry issues, I can't wrap my head around things like that.

It took a lot of trial and error with raycasts to sorta figure out a good way to deal with monsters wandering in the map outside of battle being able to see/trigger a combat encounter but I think I have it all working well now. Another issue with a 3D game is enemies clipping through walls- I had a problem where a larger enemy (specifically a cyborg dragon) had its head clipping through the wall and since the head was out it could see the player and initiate combat with all of its body on the other side. Those issues are solved with multiple raycasts- you gotta make sure that the core of the body is able to see the head of the body with no obstacles in between.

Yeah, that's a good philosophy IMO. Making everything skippable isn't all that hard.

Another option is to, well, offer an option. I have a "combat speed" slider which basically changes the amount of time in between enemy turns. Sometimes in chaotic fights where you're surrounded by 10-20 enemies you may not want it up to the max so having an option to change it based on the situation is always a plus.
I would be interested in being a tester for your game, I'll be a lot busier come October but the next few weeks should be fine for me time-wise to go through as much as possible before your launching. Feel free to message me.

Regarding stats, it's not really that I don't like many stats, it's more about reducing abstraction. In my head, it just seems to make sense that a person's overall measure of agility would govern both how quickly they can get in attacks and how good they are at evading. But when it comes down to it, I'll prioritize balance. My planned stat setup is currently:

Inner Stats
HP (Health Points)
EP (Energy Points) - For using abilities. You naturally regenerate 1EP per turn unless you defended on the previous turn.
Strength - affects damage dealt by physical attacks
Magic - affects damage dealt by magic attacks and the power of healing spells
Dexterity - affects the accuracy of your attacks (possibly for physical only - undecided)
Agility - affects evasion against enemy attacks and turn order.

Equipped Stats
Weapon Power - added to all damage (both physical and magical, but healing only takes magic by itself)
Critical Rate - Percent chance to do +50% damage
Block Rate - Percent chance to cut the damage of an incoming attack in half
Physical Defense
Magic Defense

I do like some more stats growing with levels. I've separated them into a character's innate characteristics which grow as you level and equipped stats that only come from equipment upgrades. I'm balancing it around having a set max for the stat and spreading out the gains to be lower at first with higher gains for more levels using a tangent curve. The formula is like this:
Stat for current level = BaseStat + (MaxStat - BaseStat) * Tan(45 degrees as radians * (current level - 1) / (max level - 1))

It sounds childish, but I asked my dad to help me come up with that formula since he's a community college math professor. I like the result of it a lot and I have a lot of control over how the stats grow based on what I make their maximum amounts.

I am admittedly a fan of accuracy and evasion in RPGs as long as you can increase them the same way as attack and defense, to me it adds a lot and I like considering different characteristics beyond just damage and mitigation. I also love dodge tanks. I know I said I didn't want combat to be completely self-indulgent, but I still got to throw in some of the stuff I like.

I would be interested in being a tester for your game, I'll be a lot busier come October but the next few weeks should be fine for me time-wise to go through as much as possible before your launching. Feel free to message me.

Regarding stats, it's not really that I don't like many stats, it's more about reducing abstraction. In my head, it just seems to make sense that a person's overall measure of agility would govern both how quickly they can get in attacks and how good they are at evading. But when it comes down to it, I'll prioritize balance. My planned stat setup is currently:

Inner Stats
HP (Health Points)
EP (Energy Points) - For using abilities. You naturally regenerate 1EP per turn unless you defended on the previous turn.
Strength - affects damage dealt by physical attacks
Magic - affects damage dealt by magic attacks and the power of healing spells
Dexterity - affects the accuracy of your attacks (possibly for physical only - undecided)
Agility - affects evasion against enemy attacks and turn order.

Equipped Stats
Weapon Power - added to all damage (both physical and magical, but healing only takes magic by itself)
Critical Rate - Percent chance to do +50% damage
Block Rate - Percent chance to cut the damage of an incoming attack in half
Physical Defense
Magic Defense

I do like some more stats growing with levels. I've separated them into a character's innate characteristics which grow as you level and equipped stats that only come from equipment upgrades. I'm balancing it around having a set max for the stat and spreading out the gains to be lower at first with higher gains for more levels using a tangent curve. The formula is like this:
Stat for current level = BaseStat + (MaxStat - BaseStat) * Tan(45 degrees as radians * (current level - 1) / (max level - 1))

It sounds childish, but I asked my dad to help me come up with that formula since he's a community college math professor. I like the result of it a lot and I have a lot of control over how the stats grow based on what I make their maximum amounts.

I am admittedly a fan of accuracy and evasion in RPGs as long as you can increase them the same way as attack and defense, to me it adds a lot and I like considering different characteristics beyond just damage and mitigation. I also love dodge tanks. I know I said I didn't want combat to be completely self-indulgent, but I still got to throw in some of the stuff I like.
Oh I had tons of help from some fami members actually (cough @hologram cough) with my math stuff. There is way more math in RPGs than I had previously thought.

How you handle stats is definitely gonna vary wildly depending on what game you want to make. I really don't think there's a right or wrong way to handle that.

Anyway getting back to the topic at hand-

Turn based games will always have some level of abstraction just by virtue of it not being accurately reflective of reality. But what a lot of critics fail to appreciate is that no games are really accurately reflective of reality, especially RPGs. It's impossible to accurately represent actual real world combat in a game played with a controller or kb/m.

So it's really all a matter of presentation, as the title of this thread notes. I've often had thoughts that sorta "freezing" all the characters while you choose your attack (which I guess would be what RTWP does) is probably the most "realistic" way to portray turn based gameplay, since you're not just watching an enemy's idle animation while you look over your menu of moves. That obviously comes with its own set of challenges as all of this does, but it feels like the most "realistic" and least abstract way to portray it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom