• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Hundred Line -Last Defense Academy- announced, new strategy game by TooKyo Games, coming Early 2025

pinetree

Cappy

Official Website: https://hundred-line.com/en/

pwHLh78.png

Announced as a new strategy game by the creators of Danganronpa, but perhaps the most exciting part is that we're not just talking about Rui and shimadrill on the visuals and Kodaka on the scenario this time. Kotaro Uchikoshi is involved, making this their first true collaboration since they founded Too Kyo together. With both of them credited for Direction and Scenario, I can scarcely imagine how this story is going to go. The official website even lists the Genre as ADV of “Extreme” and “Despair”!

Kodaka has one idea.
Both of them have soured me by quite a bit previously with Zero Escape/Somnium and Danganronpa retreading similar ground again and again (though I haven't played RAINCODE yet).

That said, I still adore a lot of what they do, so them finally collaborating is great news for me. Hopefully they'll bring the best out of each other!

On my radar for sure.

I'm like, a fan-not-fan of Danganronpa, it has some off-putting elements but I love the core concept of it, and has yet to play Rain Code.

So, at Christmas time I spent almost 8 hours arguing with my friend over whether Danganronpa 4 would ever exist

I'm probably gonna concede defeat now, as great as this looks it's clearly a replacement

I'll be honest, I think I'm going to sit the reviews out for this one. Kodaka had his "fool me once, shame on you" moment for me with how shitty World's End Club was and it caused me to skip Rain Code entirely. The character designer at the very least certainly hasn't lost his touch though; it's remarkable how you can look at some of his older work and his current work and both see growth and the same throughline.

Just so we're clear though - Kodaka is not a bad writer by any stretch and he's really good at making characters that have surface level likable/dislikable qualities that you see unfold as the story progresses (just... not really in unexpected ways, he's pretty formulaic, but formulaic isn't bad), but he has a very blatant issue where he has an idea in his head for the story but then he gets bored of that idea halfway through the game, so he ends up taking the story in a very different direction instead. It's all over Danganronpa's later entries in particular and it really ends up undercutting the narratives of the games he has released.

Much like how some creatives need an editor, Kodaka needs someone to tell him to go back over his finished scripts and to check if they combine into one cohesive whole. Because they often really just... don't. It's the main reason why DR1 was good enough to turn into Spike's not-so-official mascot franchise; the game was originally going to have many dividing routes where you could get really in-depth with who dies/lives, which would then affect the rest of the game but because of budget reasons, they had to slim it down into a single route. The result is that because the original had much more flexibility at first but then lost it after, all the cases we did end up getting in that game are still some of the best the franchise has written that are actual mysteries and even has a single case that flips the script and goes ham on making you take down the villain. DR2 and V3 were both written with single narratives in mind and it kinda just... doesn't work nearly as well outside of a few specific cases where you can see that he had a mystery idea he really wanted to pursue.

I think Kodaka has a lot of potential for games, and I thought Rain Code was pretty solid (albeit a little predictable at times). Danganronpa is... Danganronpa of course. I think the games are fun, but they certainly have issues. I am cautiously optimistic for this one. At the very least, tapping into Danganronpa-styled characters that specialize in different things and translating that into what appears to be an SRPG is a really interesting choice that I think could be a lot of fun.

I am mixed on this. I like Uchikoshi games, and outside of Raincode I have not liked any Kodaka game lol. Ill be keeping an eye out for this one. But I just need AI 3 😅

I'm a fan of the guys, so I'm totally in no matter what.
Though they tackle a genre I really don't like with this tower defense tactical rpg gameplay...

Anyway, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I buy whatever too kyo games release.

So this is the Uchikoshi x Kodaka game after all! I didn't expect it would be a strategy game, but I'm all for it!

Ah, so it is a strategy game, cool. Not really familiar with danganronpa or these folk's work but I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

I think the premise is interesting, so I'll keep an eye on this. I also need to get Rain Code off my backlog at some point.

I'm like 90% convinced the tactics part of the game is just a front, and it's gonna immediately shift into Danganronpa/Zero Escape stuff halfway through lol

I'm like 90% convinced the tactics part of the game is just a front, and it's gonna immediately shift into Danganronpa/Zero Escape stuff halfway through lol
I would say no but it is kinda suspicious that they don't just list strategy as the genre... :unsure:

You would think Nintendo paying for their games to be a timed exclusive would help offset the debt for this game.
I was thinking of making a thread on this story (Probably will)

The thing is this game is Switch/PC day 1, so there is no exclusivity there, mostly bandwidth for the studio. Raincode was similar, Kodaka stated that it was Spike's choice to make it time exclusive for the exposure, they did get some marketing from Nintendo in the directs. Usually if Nintendo does an exclusivity deal they publish or help distribution to offset cost, but I am not sure if even those deals help with development cost.

Back
Top Bottom