• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The History of The Oregon Trail (game) | The Gaming Historian

Yeah, that's something I'll add to my watch later list and cruise through throughout the day.

the discussion about how the original game had to be modified to remove stereotypical depictions of Native Americans (24:44) is profoundly relevant even to this day, considering how many douchebags out there insist that being “woke” is a modern invention destroying all forms of media.
I remember that when we first we first put it up there the people from Bryant Junior High came over to us and said that you can’t say that somebody was ‘tomahawked’. There was an Indian population in that area and i thought ‘well they’re right, you want the Indian Kids to enjoy playing this game too. You don’t want them to always be fighting against themselves and portrayed as the bad guy.’

It was really cool seeing all the stuff about MECC because I grew up in MN in the late 80s/early 90s with an Apple II computer lab and I never really thought about it but I guess I was playing all of those games like Odell Lake, Number Munchers, Market Place and Oregon Trail as they were being released new. It didn't occur to me that all this computer stuff was specific to MN and wasn't super widespread.

MECC and these guys are almost certainly one of the biggest influences on me.

Back
Top Bottom