• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The greatest songs in gaming history that fit the scenes they were in?

could you explain what you're actually going for here a bit more?

your thread says "music/scene" but you're just post vgm (without any "discussion" either :p).

could you explain what you're actually going for here a bit more?

your thread says "music/scene" but you're just post vgm (without any "discussion" either :p).
Sorry, I just edited the title to clarify.

"Greatest songs in gaming that perfectly fit the scene they're in".

I think BOTW's Hyrule castle, and the chandelier part of Super Castlevania were perfect music choices for the scenes.

Sorry, I just edited the title to clarify.

"Greatest songs in gaming that perfectly fit the scene they're in".

I think BOTW's Hyrule castle, and the chandelier part of Super Castlevania were perfect music choices for the scenes.
might I suggest finding footage of the actual gameplay with the music? that would sell me a lot more (as someone who knows how fantastic the hyrule castle music was in botw)

I think I know what you mean by this, so here's one of my favorites, with gameplay that starts around 30-40 seconds:

Walking into Phendrana Drifts and hearing that music kick in as you look around and marvel at the landscape... just perfect

might I suggest finding footage of the actual gameplay with the music? that would sell me a lot more (as someone who knows how fantastic the hyrule castle music was in botw)
Gotcha fam just edited in the gameplay videos with the songs as well

There's recency bias here but two from Sekiro came immediately to mind:

The violin at the beginning gives me the image of a dance, which matches perfectly with the spinning attack opening that boss does. Sets a perfect mood and atmosphere for the fight.

The other one is (spoilers for Sekiro):

The undead section. So fittingly eerie and evokes a sort of folkloric horror in my mind.

I ain't gonna say the scene but I'm pretty sure anyone who's played 999 all the way through will know which I'm talking about.
Every time I listen to this it immediately takes me to that scene.

This song plays twice in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

The first instance is good, but doesn't feel like it was written for that scene. The second instance is one of the most impactful moments in the history of video games.

Do not click this if you have not finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2, as it is the climax of the game and a massive spoiler that is best experienced after having played through the game and understanding the full context of what is happening.

Seriously, this is a beautiful game and should not be spoiled if you haven't played it.

There's recency bias here but two from Sekiro came immediately to mind:

The violin at the beginning gives me the image of a dance, which matches perfectly with the spinning attack opening that boss does. Sets a perfect mood and atmosphere for the fight.

The other one is (spoilers for Sekiro):

The undead section. So fittingly eerie and evokes a sort of folkloric horror in my mind.

Great picks, I love how the music in Sekiro fits the game so well. I'll also add The music for Sword Saint Isshin is glorious. When you suddenly realize you're fighting HIM after he comes out of Genichiro, and then that amazing choir kicks in, with the white flower field, moon, and soon lightning in the sky, it's just so good.

Everything Steve Henifin made. Wether it is Blood Omen or Eternal Darkness, somehow it fits the mood. Or maybe better, it shapes the mood.

Man, I shoul really make a Steve Henifin appriciation thread tomorrow.

The entirety of Climax of the Greylands Incident in Vagrant Story. It's a dynamic piece of music that can last from 11 minutes to 20 and advances according to the rhythm in which you play and progress the (outstanding, interactive, and surprisingly, skippable) intro. If you do know know it is a dynamic piece of music, you'd probably never realise it.

I don't think there'll ever be anything like it. I absolutely cannot think of a game with a more pompous intro. And yes, it tops Metal Gear Solid 1 in the same hardware.

Back
Top Bottom