• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News the first two Duke Nukem games are getting widescreen remasters exclusively on the Evercade

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

"I'll be done with you and still have time to watch Oprah!"

there's also a seperate collection containing the first re-releases of Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, and Duke Nukem Advance. as well as a full-blown console bundle themed after the series.
evercade-vs-atomic.large.jpg

Duke Nukem II has been somewhat decently represented with remasters, with an iOS port alongside the unofficial "Rigel" reverse-engineered source port. but this is the first time the original has gotten this treatment. Apogee has been doing similar remasters of their other platformers for years by this point. and i'd imagine they would have gotten to Duke eventually if Gearbox didn't fully acquire the IP. (apparently the manufacturer of the Evercade is developing the ports in-house.)

also relevant is the fact Gearbox somehow got the trademark for Duke's "Hail to the King, Baby!" line, even though it's a quote taken from a action film.

it's out (and has some odd quirks)

LGR is actually relevant here, as Evercade sent him early builds to provide feedback on.

on the good end of things, Duke 1 got a full MIDI soundtrack provided by James Paddock. and they actually did hire the developer of Rigel to help develop the ports, making them fairly high quality as a result.

on the bad end of things, Duke Nukem II's entire soundtrack has been removed and replaced with the new Duke I music due to legal issues with Bobby Prince (LGR also speculates it could be due to several tracks resembling popular metal songs, but that didn't stop DOOM.) and the version of Duke Nukem 3D included is merely the PS1 port (originally subtitled "Total Meltdown", but now rebranded to add the "3D" text) running on an emulator, which Evercade claims was due to them having issues getting permission to use any of the source ports out there (though it could also be music related, as the PS1 version has an almost entirely different OST composed by Mark Knight)

So, I just ordered an Evercade with Duke Nukem compilation 1.
Should receive it monday.

Back
Top Bottom