• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club The deadliest enemy in the history of video games...

Is this the deadliest enemy in video games?

• Yes

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Is almost certainly this guy right?

55f6ff6ddd0895373a8b45aa

Like, yes, it's just a normal goomba. But it's the FIRST goomba. The first possible deadly obstacle in one of the most played games ever. And whether through inexperience, going too fast, or just being careless, it's likely caught all of us at least once. It's always there, always immediately. It's not random, it's a fixed element of the game, always there where Mario is at his most vulnerable.

I have to imagine that this specific goomba is responsible for more player deaths than any other character in the entire medium of video games. I'm not sure who can possibly even compete. This goomba has almost certainly killed Mario more than any Bowser could hope to. Can anyone compete?

Sold. Deadliest no question. And this area like much of SMB takes in a whole new timbre of deadliness in SMB 35.

There’s just something about being logged out and checking Famiboards really quickly, and seeing this:

7F86E147-1F2B-4B94-9A57-013E7D55D8F6.jpg

Nabbit is the deadliest and they are persuading you otherwise…. Don’t believe their lies!

Going with the Pac Man ghosts too. I feel like it could be any of them personally

wrong, it's the overpowered Waddle Dee that appears in the arena in Kirby Super Star.
97cda5715a55c70f9cbd0d430d9a36a3b8a6cc2d_00.jpg

they're so terrifying, that they eventually became a playable character in their own right. starting with Return to Dream Land.
KRtDL_Bandana_Waddle_Dee_2.png

For younger gamers, it may be this:

8361463_f260.jpg
I have to imagine the Skeleton Archer has a higher kill count than the creeper. But those are both a full type of enemy, I’m looking more for specific individuals. A creeper could be any creeper, but the first Goomba is always the same one.

That's very possible, though for the sake of this discussion, you would have to pick the deadliest in particular (Could be either Blinkie who is the most aggressive, or Pinky who is tricksy).

I don't know which one would have the most kills but I think all 4 have more kills individually than that one Goomba. For most people playing Pac-Man, death is inevitable. Then consider all of those Pac-Man machines at kids dentist offices where a kid maybe playing and then they finally get called in for their appointment. That Pac-Man is left abandoned to be eaten up.

It has to be...zombies, like regardless of game or series. Fucking zombies....or nazis

It has to be...zombies, like regardless of game or series. Fucking zombies....or nazis
But which specific Zombie? Or which specific Nazi? The first Goomba is a single, individual Goomba, not the whole Goomba species. Zombies and Nazis are popular video game enemies, but there is no individual instance of either of those enemies who has the player kill count of that first Goomba.

But which specific Zombie? Or which specific Nazi? The first Goomba is a single, individual Goomba, not the whole Goomba species. Zombies and Nazis are popular video game enemies, but there is no individual instance of either of those enemies who has the player kill count of that first Goomba.
Yeah i was speaking in a more, centralized sense. But probably you are right in that Goomba, although maybe we could make the case of these guys since they are more difficult and i don´t know any person who didn't died the first time they meet them. With the Goomba you can just, jump.

4OMcB.gif

I don't know which one would have the most kills but I think all 4 have more kills individually than that one Goomba. For most people playing Pac-Man, death is inevitable. Then consider all of those Pac-Man machines at kids dentist offices where a kid maybe playing and then they finally get called in for their appointment. That Pac-Man is left abandoned to be eaten up.
I guess it comes down to a numbers game of how many human initiated games of Pac-Man have been played versus Super Mario Bros, and then finding out what percentage of runs contain a death by the first Goomba. For Pac-Man, it could be simplified as number of all games played divided by four. Which means substantially more instances of Super Mario Bros. need to have been played than Pac-Man games. However, as popular as Pac-Man is, I think Super Mario Bros. has actually been played that much more than Pac-Man. I will freely admit I have no basis other than intuition for this claim, but I think between original sales, rereleases, and likely being one of the more pirated games ever, Super Mario Bros. just has had that much more reach than the relatively limited windows Pac-Man had in its arcade heyday and has since not seen the same level of reach on console/PC/plug and play/etc. compared to Super Mario Bros.

But again, this is all my own hunches and I could be way off. And if I am, than one of the four Pac-Man ghosts is the likely answer.

Come to think of it... there is one arcade character who may rival the Pac-Man ghosts, as his game was also quite popular, and he'd have most of the kills to himself....

donkey-kong-1.jpg

Anecdotal experience, but I doubt DK's even close to the Pacman ghosts. Pacman is, like, the default machine for any arcade big or small. I can't recall the last time I saw a DK cabinet at a laundromat or pizza place or whatever. Pacman? There's always Pacman... or Ms. Pacman. I guess for the criteria, you gotta ask if Blinky, Pinky, and Inky count for both Pacman and Ms. Pacman or just one or the other. If both count, Clyde and Sue are at a huge disadvantage.

You can get real wild if you wanna talk about whether or not the deaths in attract mode count.

Is it though? Do you really think Bowser is providing his most basic foot soldiers with enough 1 ups to match -the- Mario, when those cost 100 coins a piece? For his most basic foot solider? That's not one goomba, that's a meat grinder and pile of stains on the bottom of Mario's boot

I think we need to also discuss the definition of deadly. Is it just the raw number of kills, or should we, as I would argue, consider the likelihood of death upon encountering the enemy?

Stretching the meaning of “death” and “enemy” as far conceptually as reasonably possible

The gutter in Wii Sports Bowling

Yeah i was speaking in a more, centralized sense. But probably you are right in that Goomba, although maybe we could make the case of these guys since they are more difficult and i don´t know any person who didn't died the first time they meet them. With the Goomba you can just, jump.

4OMcB.gif
Those Hammer Bros were actually the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title. I'd argue they're even more deadly than the first Goomba.

1 other point for the Pac Man ghosts is that, I don’t think literally every person who played SMB has died to the first goomba. It’s a meme enemy, but I feel like there are still a lot of people who jumped over it, and even the ones who did die probably only died once to it, mostly. With Pac Man, every death is caused by one of the ghosts.

My guess before opening this thread was the Black Rabite from Trials of Mana, but no, I’m completely on board with First Goomba in Super Mario Bros. if only because:
it's likely caught all of us at least once. It's always there, always immediately. It's not random, it's a fixed element of the game, always there where Mario is at his most vulnerable.
I really can’t argue with that logic. Homeboy still catches me sometimes, over 30 years since I first played the game. I’m not old; you’re old.

Back
Top Bottom