• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Deals the classic Zelda-like "Anodyne" is currently free on Itch.io to celebrate it's 10th anniversary.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

for those who haven't played it before, it basically combines the basic gameplay elements of Zelda with the surreal and unsettling aesthetics of adventure games like Yume Nikki and LSD: Dream Emulator.

it originally used the severely outdated/discountinued Adobe Air framework, but the devs released the source code back in 2020. meaning that there's a highly improved source port out there with various features such as proper controller support and 60FPS, as such i'd highly recommend using it over the original executable.

as for the original devs, they would go on to make a variety of other unique titles with similar aesthetics. such as (the permanently free, though you get some extras if you donate 5 dollars) All Our Asias, or Even the Ocean. while Anodyne itself would go on to get a direct sequel of sorts in 2019.

Omg! I saw a screenshot of this game years ago and I kept looking for it, thank you !

love Analgesic's work a whole lot. Anodyne is definitely a less 'mature' work than all their later stuff (and they were both quite young when they made it) but it's still a fascinating game with such great atmosphere & weirdness without being too showy with its subversions of the zelda format—and Anodyne 2 is an unbelievable improvement on it in every direction, one of my absolute favorite games of the last few years (it's on switch too!! everyone should play it)

I still haven't made the time to give Sephonie a shot but I'll be grabbing it as soon as it's on the switch for sure, I played the demo awhile back and it seems like another weirdo-classic

The game was featured in the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality, but y'all could always take this chance to make an extra donation to the developer, since you're given the chance when trying to redeem it.

Back
Top Bottom