• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The best Mario sports game isn't Tennis, Golf, Strikers, Baseball, Basketball, Olympics or even Sports Mix or Sports Superstars...

Waluigilicious

Piranha Plant
MP4-Beach-Volley-Folley.jpg

1200px-Ice-Hockey-MP5.png

I present to you Beach Volley Folly and Ice Hockey.

Mario Party Superstars has them both. These two games are fun. They're addictive. I have set up the Gamecube in the past just to play these. The title is worth these two games alone. Also comes with 98 other mini games and a few boards, or something.

Don't sleep on these.

I love volleyball video games. Unfortunately, the biggest franchise of volley ball game is kind of embarassing to have and play lmao.

So yeah, this will be fun.

They were indeed quite fun.

This is how I would probably rank the Sports Mario games:

Strikers > Tennis > Golf > Baseball > Hoops > Sports Mix

I wish they’d make a collection of all their sports mini games. Or another sports superstars like on the 3DS towards the end of its life (still salty they didn’t make a switch version at the time)

I would LOVE a full on Mario Ice Hockey. I'm a little biased though as a big hockey fan.

I'd also like to see how they would do a Mario Football. Or lacross.

They were indeed quite fun.

This is how I would probably rank the Sports Mario games:

Strikers > Tennis > Golf > Baseball > Hoops > Sports Mix

Nah it is Strikers

My most anticipated unannounced game is a new Mario Strikers. Would love for them to have one ready before the 2022 World Cup

Oh yea these are fun. I'd say Strikers overall is the best but these are top tier.

Striker is the best and I want a new one soon.

I need a new Mario Strikers

Hmm I'm starting to think Mario Strikers might be decent

Man, so much love for Strikers in this thread. I have both of them and know they're loved for their wild aesthetics, but I've always been more of a Tennis person. The GB and GBA RPGs for it and golf bring me a lot of nostalgia.

That being said, I always did love how the later Mario Party games have larger minigames as bonuses, from the puzzle games to these sports ones, so good pick OP.

It's Strikers for me too. It was just perfect, I can't wait for a new one (with online).

But Mario Golf on N64 is probably my most played Mario sports title. I loved the mini golf way too much back then.

I revisited Strikes recently and felt the gameplay didn't hold up.

As for the minigames in the OP, I remember beach volley folly much more fondly than ice hockey. I actually don't really remember much of ice hockey other than the fact that it existed.

Eh, i think the Tank Battle mode in 5 is the big mini-game most people remember from it.
BattleCompetitionMP5.png

For some reason, Donkey Kong is still playable there. Despite getting regulated to his own space in the normal party game mode.

and when you're done with that, you can go on to play a real board game!
MP5_CardParty.png

It's even got it's own little chill arrangement of the Super Mario Bros theme! 🎶

I need a new Mario Strikers
A Strikers without the same "gritty comic" artstyle and personality as the first two games just wouldn't be "Strikers", to me.

Yet that's the very thing that would likely happen now with a possible revival because Nintendo has a number of things that a Mario spinoff must adhere to. We're not dealing with the Nintendo of the GameCube and early Wii era, any longer.

I wish they’d make a collection of all their sports mini games. Or another sports superstars like on the 3DS towards the end of its life (still salty they didn’t make a switch version at the time)
Yepp, late 3DS was awesome. Though now that we have Tennis Aces and Golf Rush, the absence of Sports Superstars on Switch makes more sense. Top 100 however had no excuse, and I'm sure many of us are over then moon with Party Superstars!

Now that we have a new Wario Ware, a reworked Wario Ware Gold+ would be awesome. And if we aren't going to get any new ones in the series, I'd take a straight port of Rhythm Paradise Megamix and Ultimate Nes Remix. I love these compilation games that feel complete and bursting with content.

Last edited:
People who bemoan the lack of Sports Superstars on Switch have not played sports superstars :|

Eh, i think the Tank Battle mode in 5 is the big mini-game most people remember from it.
BattleCompetitionMP5.png

For some reason, Donkey Kong is still playable there. Despite getting regulated to his own space in the normal party game mode.

and when you're done with that, you can go on to play a real board game!
MP5_CardParty.png

It's even got it's own little chill arrangement of the Super Mario Bros theme! 🎶

I really need to give this Card Battle mode another go. I think we just completely ignored it in the past. Is it any good?
A Strikers without the same "gritty comic" artstyle and personality as the first two games just wouldn't be "Strikers", to me.

Yet that's the very thing that would likely happen now with a possible revival because Nintendo has a number of things that a Mario spinoff must adhere to. We're not dealing with the Nintendo of the GameCube and early Wii era, any longer.
Completely agreed. Strikers is all about the attitude and presentation. If they are to give us another football (soccer) game more in line with Tennis or Golf's presentation, then they should ditch the Strikers name altogether in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom